Overloading (1 Viewer)

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
Sorry if this has been asked

I am doing four subjects (24 CP)

If I fail a subject this sem (6 CP)

Can I do five subjects next semester so I wont have to do summer uni? (30 CP)

(Do I have to ask someone or can I just enrol in 5)

:mad1:

undalay

HSC
You can just enrol in 5.

edit: BUT MANY FIRST SEMESTER COURSES ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN SEMESTER 2!

flaganarchy

HSC
N/A
You can just enrol in 5.

edit: BUT MANY FIRST SEMESTER COURSES ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN SEMESTER 2!
Cool thanks...
Well cant I just do a semester 2 course?.... like its just a random stand alone subject I need to fill up the credit points to graduate?

undalay

HSC
Cool thanks...
Well cant I just do a semester 2 course?.... like its just a random stand alone subject I need to fill up the credit points to graduate?
Depends on your course.
There are core subjects in some courses.
And prereqs for other subjects you may want to do.

McMizza

Sociology/Psyc UniStudent
HSC
Yep you can overload, be careful and think about if you can really handle it. Trust me, its not easy, especially if there's a lot of reading. It's difficult to put as much effort into assessments as you wish you could due to time restraints... but if I could do it over again, would still overload.
Depends whats best for you.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Not sure if first year's can overload. I think you have to be in your second year to overload (best to check with your faculty)

I agree with McMizza, overloading can be stressful. I'm overloading this semester and its been stressful. But as long as you manage your time well, it should be okay.

engineering

HSC
N/A
Particularly for first year, some faculties have restrictions on the maximum number of credit points you can attempt: Read the official rules at the appropriate faculty handbook: Handbooks Online - Faculty handbooks - The University of Sydney

However any student who fails subjects under a normal load of 24 credit points should think very very seriously before trying to attempt 30 units, and appreciate this requires a major turnaround in performance.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Particularly for first year, some faculties have restrictions on the maximum number of credit points you can attempt: Read the official rules at the appropriate faculty handbook: Handbooks Online - Faculty handbooks - The University of Sydney

However any student who fails subjects under a normal load of 24 credit points should think very very seriously before trying to attempt 30 units, and appreciate this requires a major turnaround in performance.
i thought overloading was only possible for students who are accelerating or have achieved decent marks.

So if u failed a subject in 1st yr(for e.g. human bio) , its possible to overload it in 2nd yr?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
i thought overloading was only possible for students who are accelerating or have achieved decent marks.

So if u failed a subject in 1st yr(for e.g. human bio) , its possible to overload it in 2nd yr?
yes it should be possible, provided that failing your first-year subject doesn't disrupt your prerequisites for second year in some way.

lala2

Banned
HSC
You can do human bio in summer school. Trust me, you'll be fine. Just buckle down now and don't come on BOS like I am now :uhoh:

Last edited:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Overloading in first year will be tough, especially in a science degree where you already have 5 subjects to deal with due to first year maths. You might need to get special permission in first year depending on faculty.

I think in general you can only take up to 30cp in one of your semesters without needing special permission (so a maximum of 54cp in a year).

If you're willing to pay for it, summer school could be the way to go; there are quite a few first year subjects on offer there.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
You can do human bio in summer school. Trust me, you'll be fine. Just buckle down now and don't come on BOS like I am now :uhoh:
i'm too poor to pay full fees =(

but reailli can you overload in pharm, the timetable already seems crowded in 2nd yr

lala2

Banned
HSC
The regulations might be different because you're now in the new degree, but for my version you cannot overload until you've attempted (not necessarily passed) all first and second year units. Oh, and you cannot have failed more than one unit at the time of application. So, if you failed two second year units regardless of which semester, you're not eligible for overloading.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
The regulations might be different because you're now in the new degree, but for my version you cannot overload until you've attempted (not necessarily passed) all first and second year units. Oh, and you cannot have failed more than one unit at the time of application. So, if you failed two second year units regardless of which semester, you're not eligible for overloading.
Do you know whether if you fail 1st yr science such as chem or bio, not compulsory phar units, then your free to overload next semester or 2nd yr?
I have this paronoia that i'm going to fail bio lol

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm not sure of that. Everyone I know who failed bio did it in summer school. Have you tried contacting the faculty yet?

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
you can do human bio in summer school, you cant do molecular bio in summer school, and you can do the chemistry subs in summer school too, but neither of the PHARXXXX subjects offered in summer school so you would not be allowed to overload, nor would you be allowed to continue onward.

a few people failed i believe Basic Pharmaceutical Sciences, and are now only doing 2 subjects 1 second year subject and BPS. from what i know the faculty is quite strict with its procedures and usually dont let you overload if they believe you cant handle it, i dont know of anyone whos been allowed to overload, so if your doing pharmacy, best not to fail, and just get atleast 50% or else you're looking at another to your graduation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)