Own notes or DL from BOS? (1 Viewer)

hkgirl

HSC
Should i write my own syllabus notes or just download from the BOS then read & highlight?

doing my own will be better in a way because it's in my language & i'll understand it better, but it will take heaps longer writing them out instead of just downloading then highlight, because if i download, i can dl a number of versions.

what's the better way?? opinions?

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
hkgirl said:
Should i write my own syllabus notes or just download from the BOS then read & highlight?

doing my own will be better in a way because it's in my language & i'll understand it better, but it will take heaps longer writing them out instead of just downloading then highlight, because if i download, i can dl a number of versions.

Writing down ftw!

When I write them down myself I memorise them better, plus I learn along the way as I'm summarising.

I use BoS to add stuff to mine or when it's too late to make my own notes.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Write your own...a lot of BoS aren't actually that good:p

doing my own will be better in a way because it's in my language & i'll understand it better
Yep, its hard to memorise and clearly understand something you haven't written yourself. Especially if they're concepts that you have to systematically work towards as you have missed out on a lot of the essential details that make up the bigger picture.

It will take a lot of time but that is what school is for. People don't hand you 100% on a plate.

jirwin

HSC
i used BOS notes for half yearlies because i didn't have time to write my own but i plan on doing my own for the trials and HSC

my trials are in 5wks tho so BOS notes may creep in there somewhere as well

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
hkgirl said:

I make my own legal notes and amalgamate some of my physics notes with notes from BoS. Other than that, I don't have any notes for any subjects. For best results, I'd suggest you make your own using a large variety of sources according to what they want you to know as outlined in the syllabus.

IceOnFire

HSC
It depends on what subjects.

Usually I write my own notes for eco and business, and get copies from others for physics.

No maths notes for me.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
dont' be lazy :p

write your own. it really sticks in your brain that way. it's the PROCESS of making notes that is most important

sladehk

le random
HSC
if you want a uai you'll b proud of, do you own notes. but that takes a lotta dedication/commitment not to mention time. If you're lazy like me, scab notes from good students grade above and their essays. then just read it, understand WHAT makes it good/bad then you can nab ideas and write a 1337 essay/notes

btw a lot of BoS notes are shit like seriously. often they have pages of shit and only 1 line is good enough to consider using. well im 06 so 05 and pre 05 is shit. but its helpful if you don't know the crap but wanna understand it. (this is for english) but not good enough to help yo u make your final essay/notes

otherwise, maths meh don't need notes just papers and do hw

sciences, some notes are good
like 10% but a lotta the time the syllabus has changed and better to make your own to understand the concepts and science esp chem/phy need to just do exercises from surfing chem/phy to become pro..

mind you i did none of that so .. but still that's the way to go if you don't wanna regret what happens after youve fked the hsc

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
sladehk said:
if you want a uai you'll b proud of, do you own notes. but that takes a lotta dedication/commitment not to mention time. If you're lazy like me, scab notes from good students grade above and their essays. then just read it, understand WHAT makes it good/bad then you can nab ideas and write a 1337 essay and get 100 uai =D
why didn't you get a 100uai then?=(

emurelief

HSC
You've got to be wary about BOS notes as well. I've heard people in my class say they should put up wrong notes on the site just to screw other schools up =/ (Not nice, I know)

HSC
I recommend not doing work.
It will put you in good stead for that arts degree at Uni.. :p

HSC
emurelief said:
You've got to be wary about BOS notes as well. I've heard people in my class say they should put up wrong notes on the site just to screw other schools up =/ (Not nice, I know)
if someones dumb enough to work off shit notes they were doomed to fail anyway.

w00dy.

HSC
hkgirl said:
doing my own will be better in a way because it's in my language & i'll understand it better
i think you just answered your own question, the time and the effort will pay off in the end, i think if you download the summaries then you are only really cheating yourself, some of the things in the summaries that you download might not be things that you are taught at your school, so in a way you would be trying to learn somethings from scratch.

or maybe you could try and use a combination of both, doing your own notes and looking at others to try and gain a more indepth knowledge on specific topic areas, or whatever.

but in the end you should stick with what works best for you, and what way you are going to gain a better understanding of things.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Your own, always much better then what anyone else can give you but time consuming so you must be committed.

sladehk

le random
HSC
ari89 said:
why didn't you get a 100uai then?=(
becoz i was too lazy duh lol

100 uai = commitment i haven't even bothered lifting a pen for uni so bleh

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
w00dy. said:
i think you just answered your own question, the time and the effort will pay off in the end, i think if you download the summaries then you are only really cheating yourself, some of the things in the summaries that you download might not be things that you are taught at your school, so in a way you would be trying to learn somethings from scratch.

or maybe you could try and use a combination of both, doing your own notes and looking at others to try and gain a more indepth knowledge on specific topic areas, or whatever.

but in the end you should stick with what works best for you, and what way you are going to gain a better understanding of things.
I'm fine with mixing up notes, I tend to go for a diverse base from which to build my notes, whether it be textbooks, other people's notes, online sites, etc. Mind you, I haven't actually written much for anything other than Legal Studies.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
gwan SS. you must be a real prodigy getting away with so little....work.

share some of the geniusness round ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)