oxides of nitrogen? (1 Viewer)

frezzel

HSC
Hi i was wondering how many oxides of nitrogen there are that are involved in acid rain. Some sites have told me that there are 3 main ones: N<sub>2</sub>O, NO , NO<sub>2. However, other sites have told me there are 2 main ones:</sub> nitric oxide (NO) and nitrogen dioxide (NO<sub>2</sub>). I have to construct a table for my assessment and i need to know which ones i am expected to research.

any help would be great.

Cheers, frezzel

Jono_2007

My fingers are slowly slipping off a cliff!....HEL
HSC
frezzel said:
Hi i was wondering how many oxides of nitrogen there are that are involved in acid rain. Some sites have told me that there are 3 main ones: N<sub>2</sub>O, NO , NO<sub>2. However, other sites have told me there are 2 main ones:</sub> nitric oxide (NO) and nitrogen dioxide (NO<sub>2</sub>). I have to construct a table for my assessment and i need to know which ones i am expected to research.
l
The answer to this is there are THREE main constitutes of nitrogen oxides, in acin rain. NO, NO2 and N2O.
But The last two are sometime analysed together as NOx

Last edited:

frezzel

HSC
thanks heaps, that helps alot...now i can get back to my assessment...yay...

Ioup

HSC
Isn't it NO2 thats the main cause of acid rain out of the Nitrogen Oxides?
NO2 is the only one thats soluble in water and reacts to form both nitric acid and nitrous acid. However, you could say that NO also contributes to the formation of acid rain as a large amount of it reacts with oxygen to form the NO2.

Jono_2007

My fingers are slowly slipping off a cliff!....HEL
HSC
Ioup said:
Isn't it NO2 thats the main cause of acid rain out of the Nitrogen Oxides?
Tecnically it is the MAIN cause of acid rain , however it doesn't mean that NO isn't also a contributer.

Ioup said:
NO2 is the only one thats soluble in water and reacts to form both nitric acid and nitrous acid. However, you could say that NO also contributes to the formation of acid rain as a large amount of it reacts with oxygen to form the NO2.
Yes Nitrogen monoxide is always oxidising to nitrogen dioxide:

2NO (g) + O2(g) -->2NO2

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Technically, NO2 is the only contributor to acid rain. NO could be said to be another contributor, but it contributes only by converting into NO2 via the following reaction:

2NO + O2 2NO2

Ultimately, it is the NO2 which reacts with water to form nitrous and nitric acids, which in turn make rain acidic. Therefore both sources were correct. The process of creating acid rain could be said to be: NO NO2 HNO2 + HNO3. (Note: HNO2 is converted to HNO3 by catalysts in air)

frezzel

HSC
so in my assesment table, should i include NO or just use NO2 and N2O? it asks to state where they are found industrially and naturally etc.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
frezzel said:
so in my assesment table, should i include NO or just use NO2 and N2O? it asks to state where they are found industrially and naturally etc.
It depends on what your assessment is asking for. If you are writing about the oxides of nitrogen in general, then include all three. If you are writing about atmospheric pollutants or contributors of acid rain, then you can include either both NO and NO2 or just the latter. N2O does not directly contribute to acid rain.

N2O is produced by nitrogenous fertilisers reacting with the bacteria in soils.

The natural sourse of NO is lightning, and the industrial source is combustion in power stations and vehicles. Both these cases provide the high temperatures that are needed for the following reaction to occur: N2 + 2O2
2NO2.

The only source of NO2 is the NO produced from the above sources reacting with atmospheric oxygen: 2NO + O2
2NO2.

frezzel

HSC
Sorry, i have another question. How does N2O contribute to atmospheric polution? The question in the assessment asks to state the reasons for concern about the release of oxides of nitrogen into the environment. What is the reason for concern for N2O?

frezzel

HSC
Dreamerish*~[SIZE=1 said:

The only source of NO2 is the NO produced from the above sources reacting with atmospheric oxygen: 2NO + O2
[/SIZE]2NO2.
Do you mean this is the only source naturally or at all? I thought that it could be produced by combustion, welding, power plants. I'm not sure about this however so if you could clarify it would be great.

Ioup

HSC
frezzel said:
Do you mean this is the only source naturally or at all? I thought that it could be produced by combustion, welding, power plants. I'm not sure about this however so if you could clarify it would be great.

I think what Dreamerish was saying is that there is both natural sources and industrial sources of Nitric Oxide (NO).
The equation O2(g)+N2(g)>2NO(g)
This reaction can occur in the atmosphere due to the extreme heat supplied by lightning and also in combustion, welding and power plants where extreme heat is also present.
Nitric Oxide is then converted to NO2 (Nitrogen Dioxide) by
2NO(g)+O2(g)>2NO2(g)
This is the sole reaction (at least in this syllabus..) that converts NO to NO2.
The conversion of NO to NO2 does not occur due to "extreme heat" as is the case with Oxygen and Nitrogen to form NO.
A cause of concern with N2O is that it contributes to the greenhouse effect.

P

pLuvia

The natural source of nitric oxide, NO, is from lightning, where atmospheric oxygen and nitrogen gases combine to form nitric oxide

O2+N2-->2NO

But then nitric oxide slowly reacts with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide

2NO + O2--> 2NO2

Which NO, and NO2 can be formed from combustion in power stations and from vehicles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)