oxygen and ozone (1 Viewer)

jims

HSC
theres some dot point somewhere that says something like 'account for the differences in properties of oxygen and ozone and relate them to their chemical/molecular properties.'
anyway, i know the properties, but how do i account for them?

chip

HSC
it because of the different bonding

coordinate covalent bonds in ozone

covalent bonding in oxygen

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
For science subjects there is a list of keywords that you shold be constantly revising to ensure that you do not miss important points and/or overwork on questions. The list can be found on the Board of Studies website under any science subjects in the Syllabus section. This is the definition for account:

Account for: state reasons for, report on
Give an account of: narrate a series of events or transactions

I hope that gives you an idea of what you have to do since you already know their properties :) Good luck!

s2ophie

HSC
ozone has coordinate covalent bonding and then if you look in conquering chem there is a list of the differences in properties

spice girl

magic mirror
wtf??

well the physical properties you should have is:
ozone: higher MP, BP, high aqueous solubility
oxygen: low MP, BP, low solubility

the reason is that ozone is polar (in the middle O atom, 3 pairs of e- are on one side), and so you'd expect high MP, BP, solubility.

N

ND

Originally posted by spice girl
wtf??

well the physical properties you should have is:
ozone: higher MP, BP, high aqueous solubility
oxygen: low MP, BP, low solubility

the reason is that ozone is polar (in the middle O atom, 3 pairs of e- are on one side), and so you'd expect high MP, BP, solubility.
Should you also talk about how ozone is more reactive and relate it to the single covalent bond and how it breaks easier etc..?

jayz

walking
Is the structure of a co-ordinate covalent bonds same as the strucuture of a covalent bonds?

and

how do u represent an oxygen radical?

spice girl

magic mirror
the only difference between a co-ordinate covalent, and a covalent bond, is where the electrons came from.

an oxygen radical is simply a single oxygen atom. It has an even number of electrons, yet it is a radical, because it is biradical (i.e. in the outer shell it has 2 paired and 2 unpaired electrons).

to talk about why ozone is more reactive, i reckoned it was silly to say that a single bond is weaker than a double bond. Sure, sure, but that doesn't explain it fully. The O-O single bond is weak (for what reason i don't know). Anyway, its all very dodgy, and it goes under chemical properties, not physical properties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)