• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ozone concentrations...antartica (1 Viewer)

sordatsoy

HSC
yeee. I'm confused as to why there is a change between spring and winter.....can someone please help me (preferably with equations hehehe....)
Thanks heaps

kwabon

Banned
HSC
yeee. I'm confused as to why there is a change between spring and winter.....can someone please help me (preferably with equations hehehe....)
Thanks heaps
over antarctica, cloud ice particles exist that are not present at warmer latitudes. reactions occur on the surface od these particles that accelerate ozone destruction caused by chlorine.
winter in antarctic is a period of contionous darkness and the stratosphere is extremely cold. this is an equation which shows how cloud particles catalyse a reaction between HCl and ClNO3

HCL + ClNO3 -> Cl2 + HNO3

this has no effect upon ozone levels in winter but when spring arrives, the UV rays from the sun split the chlorine molecule to form chlorine free radicals which are hence able to destroy the ozone layer.

hope this helps and good luck for tomorrow.
(Y)

sordatsoy

HSC
over antarctica, cloud ice particles exist that are not present at warmer latitudes. reactions occur on the surface od these particles that accelerate ozone destruction caused by chlorine.
winter in antarctic is a period of contionous darkness and the stratosphere is extremely cold. this is an equation which shows how cloud particles catalyse a reaction between HCl and ClNO3

HCL + ClNO3 -> Cl2 + HNO3

this has no effect upon ozone levels in winter but when spring arrives, the UV rays from the sun split the chlorine molecule to form chlorine free radicals which are hence able to destroy the ozone layer.

hope this helps and good luck for tomorrow.
(Y)
Thanks...you to:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)