P Platers and L Platers - your chance to have your say! (1 Viewer)

What do you think the best way to reduce the road toll for younger drivers is?

• Restrictions on passenger numbers and curfews.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
As I'm sure most people are aware - there is a lot of pressure from the media and certain elements of the community to impose some severe restrictions on L and P platers.

In the report released recently (available on www.youngdrivers.com.au), 11 possible reforms were canvassed to restrict the activites of young people and supposedly reduce road casualties.

This report is in the consultative process which means everybody can have their say and influence the outcomes.

I urge you - if you are a young driver, or will soon be a young driver, who values their freedom, use the "Submit Comments" link at www.youngdrivers.com.au or see your local state MP and tell them how you feel about it.

Your driving future is in your own hands.

gh0stlyg4bb1

HSC
Just to further enforce the fact that you should have your say, some of the changes and restrictions:
* Increasing the mandatory period of supervised driving for Learner drivers from 50 hours to 100 hours.
*Increasing the minimum period as a Learner driver from six months to 12 months.
*Increasing the age for P plate licences to 18 years.
*Further developing formal driver training.
*Providing an increased role for secondary schools in driver training.
*Improvements to the on-road test to progress from a Learner to a P plate driver.
*A limit of ONE passenger for P1 drivers aged under 26, with exemptions.
*Prohibiting P plate drivers from driving high-powered vehicles, with exemptions.
*Modifying the demerit point structure for young drivers.
*Introducing a night driving restriction, with exemptions.
*A requirement for 15 hours of night driving for Learner drivers.
+ many, many more changes and restrictions....

Whilst some of these suggestions are okay, the ones about having only one passenger and introducing night driving restrictions (I think) are really going too far.

If you want to have your say, go to www.youngdrivers.com.au, have a read and then follow the link to "submit comments". We only have until 28th February 2005 to submit our comments before the decision will be made whether or not to implement the changes, according to Mr Scully, some changes may even be implemented before then... so HAVE YOUR SAY NOW!!!!!

And tell all your friends about this, before our driving freedoms are revoked.

(Feel free to copy and paste this into an email and send it to all of your friends and family who will be affected by these possible changes)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah there's another more current thread on this exact issue.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)