P test soon - Manual (1 Viewer)

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
Azamakumar said:
lol how is it a fail for stopping in that situation.
If you stop at a green light when the other cars have moved off and you too could've gone without stopping its seen as disobeying signage/road markings and an automatic fail. That was the second last thing my instructor told me before my test .. That and to make sure I stop at the stop sign on the way out of the RTA before the line, not at the road. lol :)

Pace_T

HSC
use the first method to gear down as youre slowing down. do it smoothly and its fine. + you'll have better control of the car. girls use the second way. and if for example the light goes green before you completely stop, its possible you might put it in the wrong gear and jerk the car big time or you might not have enough power. plus its a really slow way of doing things. by doing it the first way alone it wont wear out the clutch in the car's lifetime, lol. and it also reduces wear on your brake pads, which have to be changed every now and then!!

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Azamakumar said:
I did #2 and passed, just make sure you throw it to 1st if you do, I'm pretty sure they knock points off for leaving it in neutral when you're stationary.
:confused: .....why?

Pace_T

HSC
mr_brightside said:
:confused: .....why?
i remember hearing somewhere that its not as safe as having it in first and the clutch engaged while stationary because its difficult to quickly move out of the way because say there's an accident or whatever. who knows, an ambulance might be behind you or whatever. i think its stupid and i always put it in neutral but thats just what i heard.. =)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Yeah the handbook says you're always meant to be in gear (except obvious times when shifting etc), but I really cannot be fucked holding the clutch down for minutes at a time when I'm driving. Fucking snapped both tests though, 99 (fail, lol) and 97.

Winnah.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Real men operate the clutch with their left hand and change gears sequentially with their foot. No damn Synchros either.

Megadrive

HSC
MysticalElement said:
oh ok thanks but do i fail if i dont take my foot away from clutch ?
Being completely honest, I believe it depends on the examiner. It is a bad practise though, as even by resting your foot on the clutch when not in use, it is still slightly engaged and will prematurely wear out.

It took me a few goods months to break the habit once I discovered it. I don't have a foot rest in my car (strange I know), so when not in use, I put my left foot flat on the floor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)