P1 driving Test - Botany (1 Viewer)

sandz_2

HSC
I am doing my P1 driving test in 1 week at Botany.. has anyone on this forum done the test there and do you have any hints/routes. I live more the Maroubra way but the pass rate for the maroubra RTA is 39% compared to 40 something at botany. Does anyone know if i have to wait 1 year when my licence expires at the end of the month to do another test as I am from the old 50 hr laws.. Im assuming i'll have to do 120 hours but i'm not sure about the waiting for 1 year.

astroe

HSC
Well, on the... upside? - Any hours you logged will be able to be carried over to your new renewed, 120 hour requirement, licence.

sandz_2

HSC
watch out for airplanes
I passed my test yesterday! So happy as my licence expires at the end of the month. Had a really nice rta instructor too. There was actually a plane i saw taking off in the distance in the back streets in botany which surprised during the test because it seemed so close. I think it really depends on your confidence and how the testing person thinks you can control the car and actually drive.

Ancly

Banned
HSC
N/A
the ocean is near there dont drivei nto the ocean

tngu7061

HSC
N/A
I passed my test yesterday! So happy as my licence expires at the end of the month. Had a really nice rta instructor too. There was actually a plane i saw taking off in the distance in the back streets in botany which surprised during the test because it seemed so close. I think it really depends on your confidence and how the testing person thinks you can control the car and actually drive.
congrats! any tips you can offer about the test route - though I know it varies - would be much appreciated! did you have to do a reverse parallel or another form parking?

sandz_2

HSC
well I went the mascot route but the route probably varies each time... you mostly go through the back streets of mascot from botany Rd and then Wentworth Ave which connects you to botany.. you just have to watch cos there is a lot of 50 zones but you should drive the same speed as the traffic in Wentworth Ave as it is 70.. so aim around 65-70km not 40km.

Try to do the test early in the morning as the traffic starts to increase during the day making it harder to merge and change lanes esp. on botany Rd.

I done just a kerb side stop and 3 point turn.. but my friends who done it there a few years ago done a hill-start on a not very sloped road.. I'm not sure if they done parking though.
hope this helps

Last edited:

tngu7061

HSC
N/A
well I went the mascot route but the route probably varies each time... you mostly go through the back streets of mascot from botany Rd and then Wentworth Ave which connects you to botany.. you just have to watch cos there is a lot of 50 zones but you should drive the same speed as the traffic in Wentworth Ave as it is 70.. so aim around 65-70km not 40km.

Try to do the test early in the morning as the traffic starts to increase during the day making it harder to merge and change lanes esp. on botany Rd.

I done just a kerb side stop and 3 point turn.. but my friends who done it there a few years ago done a hill-start on a not very sloped road.. I'm not sure if they done parking though.
hope this helps
I passed! all thanks to your help with the route - it was the exact one I took! so glad I did a test run the day before. Thanks again for your help :)

gummie

HSC
hey i'm doing my test at botany in a few weeks. is there any little things i should watch out for? a friend told me there is a slightly obscured stop sign when leaving the car park, is that still there?

also, any other general tips?

sandz_2

HSC
I passed! all thanks to your help with the route - it was the exact one I took! so glad I did a test run the day before. Thanks again for your help :)
Hey Congrats!! How good does it feel to have some freedom! how was your test? it looks like botany has a way better pass rate than maroubra...who was your rta instructor? i think i had alex.. he was really nice

tngu7061

HSC
N/A
Hey Congrats!! How good does it feel to have some freedom! how was your test? it looks like botany has a way better pass rate than maroubra...who was your rta instructor? i think i had alex.. he was really nice
It feels awesome! I don't remember the name of mine, but he was quite nice too. While I was there waiting to be called, he passed a girl and another instructor failed some other girl. so maybe he's just super nice? haha who knows.
gummie - I got to overhear why the girl who failed did so though, apparently she was driving WAY too slowly, ran a yellow light (which the instructor quite sarcastically and harshly pointed out was contradictory to her driving slowly) and missed too many observation checks...so yeah keep that in mind. It was quite useful overhearing that right before my test too...hehe

Also, I did a reverse parallel park and a kerb side stop for mine, so I guess you should take that into account. I did the reverse parallel very soon into the test too, practically as soon as I turned into Mascot from Botany rd, which I was not expecting so just be mindful of that.
In the back streets of Mascot and Botany, be careful of the lane markings. Sometimes they are solid until only a few metres away from an intersection, so be sure not to cross them until then.
And yeah the stop sign is still there.
The other thing is even if you think you've failed like I did, keep your confidence up and relax. Slow down when there are hazards (like for me, a dog running onto the road amongst many other things), but don't just stop in the middle of the road, keep moving slowly, checking your rearview mirror for people behind you.
Aside from nearly ruining the reverse parallel and not turning into the right street that my instructor had requested (I thought I failed because of this! but it was fine because it was a one-off and a genuine mistake, I honestly couldn't see the street that the instructor wanted me to turn into and I guess he was quite sympathetic too), everything else was really easy. Just be confident and relax!
Oh and another thing...on my way home I inadvertently followed someone else who was doing their test for the first bit of it....they went up Botany rd towards the city, and then left eventually into some side street in Mascot. so yeah maybe practise in that area too...

sandz_2

HSC
Aside from nearly ruining the reverse parallel and not turning into the right street that my instructor had requested (I thought I failed because of this! but it was fine because it was a one-off and a genuine mistake, I honestly couldn't see the street that the instructor wanted me to turn into and I guess he was quite sympathetic too), everything else was really easy. Just be confident and relax!
I done the EXACT some thing! just after you turn into mascot from botany in the back streets.. the instructor was like turn at the next left.. i thought he was pointing to the street around 300m ahead.. not the one 50m ahead.... I was thinking no way was i going to pass after that mistake!
I think even if you don't listen to their instructions.. i don't think they fail you on not listening one time.. they'll just take you back around to that street if you miss it.. but i think if you fail to listen to their instructions many times.. you probably will fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)