Pachelbel's Canon (1 Viewer)

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
does anybody play the piano and know this piece?
i don't play but i love this piece, and so decided to learn it.
my piano is one that can demonstrate what keys to press on a little screen, and i just follow that.
Does anyone know how to play it, and if so, know how not to get your hands tangled up so much- i think my fingers are too short to be able to complete it-

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
*yooneek* said:
does anybody play the piano and know this piece?
i don't play but i love this piece, and so decided to learn it.
my piano is one that can demonstrate what keys to press on a little screen, and i just follow that.
Does anyone know how to play it, and if so, know how not to get your hands tangled up so much- i think my fingers are too short to be able to complete it-
The proper version sounds better on a real piano, and you'd have to learn it instead of following lights on your keys.

I've been playing the piano for 14 years and it's the same with any other piece - keep practising. If your fingers are too short to reach certain notes, eliminate them if possible, or take them down an octave.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
which version? the one in c? the one in d?

i only have an arranged version, and so mines probably a little different to the one you're learning.

there arent many octaves in it so your fingers shouldnt be too short for it, i would suggest that for the arpeggios (runs up the keyboard etc) you pass your thumb underneath after the third finger. so, say i am playing a run up the piano for 8 notes (an octave) and i start on my thumb, the fingering looks like this:

1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5 (where 1 is your thumb)
lol its kind of hard to explain.. i hope that makes sense!!

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
I learn Pachelbel on my keyboard which demonstartes how to play it. I just practiced for ages and ages, following the kets that light up, and now i can just sit down and play it without the teaching thing. I also learnt heaps of other songs this way, buti can also read music slightly. Ive taught myself a lot of Delta songs, which arent too hard.

as for not getting your fingers tangled up so much? Lol just practice over and over. and learning one hand at a time really helps me. So if im confident just playing left hand, then i can add the right hand, or vice versa

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
The proper version sounds better on a real piano, and you'd have to learn it instead of following lights on your keys.

I've been playing the piano for 14 years and it's the same with any other piece - keep practising. If your fingers are too short to reach certain notes, eliminate them if possible, or take them down an octave.
thankx...
gee its a pretty piece!

Born Dancer said:
which version? the one in c? the one in d?

i only have an arranged version, and so mines probably a little different to the one you're learning.

there arent many octaves in it so your fingers shouldnt be too short for it, i would suggest that for the arpeggios (runs up the keyboard etc) you pass your thumb underneath after the third finger. so, say i am playing a run up the piano for 8 notes (an octave) and i start on my thumb, the fingering looks like this:

1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5 (where 1 is your thumb)
lol its kind of hard to explain.. i hope that makes sense!!
umm i believe its the one in d...
the first key in the piece is definately a d... i know that :)
thankx 4 ur advice- what ur saying does make sense! thankx xxx

shellybelly087 said:
I learn Pachelbel on my keyboard which demonstartes how to play it. I just practiced for ages and ages, following the kets that light up, and now i can just sit down and play it without the teaching thing. I also learnt heaps of other songs this way, buti can also read music slightly. Ive taught myself a lot of Delta songs, which arent too hard.

as for not getting your fingers tangled up so much? Lol just practice over and over. and learning one hand at a time really helps me. So if im confident just playing left hand, then i can add the right hand, or vice versa
oh cool!!!
we're the same!!!
except my keys don't light up :( there is a screen that has a teeny diagram of the board and i just memorise which ones they are...
so in that regard i can do it all by memory- well what i know of it thus far lol
good on u for learning it!!!!!!
hooray! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
OH MY GOD... this piece gives me nightmares....

my ex (who plays the cello) and i arranged this piece for piano (that was my job...8th grade piano, and i still suck at sight reading) and cello and played it for some fundraising evening... Stupidly i said "oh don't worry about me, I'll just follow you". Boy was that a mistake... I didn't realise that he was going to speed up like there's no tomorrow ( plus i was ever so slightly under-rehearsed). So, yes, it didn't exactly go to plan. Actually that's an understatement

anyways one day in hsc music, we were sitting together and everybody had to do some music presentation of a baroque piece, and one guy started to put on a record of the cannon in D... we just looked at each other and burst into laughter. the teacher was not impressed...

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i love it! i play the george winston variations on the canon.... very badly :p

*walks slowly down the auditorium*
<3<3<3

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Lol, some people can't stand it.

I have to admit, it gets annoying after awhile, but My Sassy Girl kinda got me playing it. :p

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
hehe

i hate the harpsichord

im playing harpsichord at a concert. i do a small solo then the rest of the ensemble plays. i might as well get up and leave when that happens, no one would hear the difference.

damn harpsichord.

anywho, its usually on D. and you can sing "friends forever" by vitamin C over it.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
sounds even better the way it was meant to be played....

string trio/quartet.

i like the actual piece, its the connotations associated. this piece is supposed to lower your blood pressure. thats true for everybody on the planet except me!

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
llamalope said:
OH MY GOD... this piece gives me nightmares....

my ex (who plays the cello) and i arranged this piece for piano (that was my job...8th grade piano, and i still suck at sight reading) and cello and played it for some fundraising evening... Stupidly i said "oh don't worry about me, I'll just follow you". Boy was that a mistake... I didn't realise that he was going to speed up like there's no tomorrow ( plus i was ever so slightly under-rehearsed). So, yes, it didn't exactly go to plan. Actually that's an understatement

anyways one day in hsc music, we were sitting together and everybody had to do some music presentation of a baroque piece, and one guy started to put on a record of the cannon in D... we just looked at each other and burst into laughter. the teacher was not impressed...

lol u poor thing!
i was the same with the flute- played in front of the school for a xmas cracker by randomly pressing keys and pretending to blow- the girl nxt to me was a genius and would say "why don't u just learn it?"... i have a theory that my f key (well the combination of keys) was doomed not to work hence i couldn't play any pieces...

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
anywho, its usually on D. and you can sing "friends forever" by vitamin C over it.
really??? COOL!! i didnt know that

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
hehe

i hate the harpsichord

im playing harpsichord at a concert. i do a small solo then the rest of the ensemble plays. i might as well get up and leave when that happens, no one would hear the difference.

damn harpsichord.

Oh hush!

The harpsichord comes only second to the honky tonk in coolness! :cool:

wanton-wonton

HSC
*yooneek* said:
That's a keyboard, not a piano.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Everytime I go to a wedding I pray that they won't play Canon and will instead stick with tradition and go with the wedding march.

Nevertheless, I like playing it.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
My cousin had it as her wedding tune, i thought it was rare to have it as a wedding tune. It didn't feel right if you know what i mean.
The first time I heard it as an entrance for a wedding was at my aunt's wedding when I was 8. Since then, every single wedding I've been to has had that song somewhere in the ceremony. It's so overused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)