PAL College Cabramatta INSIGHT? (1 Viewer)

ennny

HSC
Can anyone give me insight to this school, because im not sure if its a good choice to make to move to that school, currently in grade 12 and thinking of moving. Anyone have good insight on PAL College? and wether its a good school?

lychnobity

HSC
BAD IDEA mate.

The teachers there are actually engineers. Not capable of tailoring you to beat the HSC. Don't have much experience - you could easily get a better tutor for the same price.

Students work from their random worksheets and Coroneos - while adequate, it doesn't quite cater to ensure you can tackle the higher mark questions.

Also, the main tutors there (Seth and Panha) are easily sidetracked. Tons of bs (more from Panha) comes from their mouths.

Overall: Mediocre. Not bad, not good. Wouldn't go there again.

leetsa

HSC
is it necessary to move schools?
Like sure, some people go for private tutoring and that which helps, but if you think about it, even the people who go govt. schools can excel. I know one girl she moved to PAL, her parents spent a fortune on her, she achieved a UAI of 80ish? They have nice uniform though, HAHAS

chii

HSC
N/A
BAD IDEA mate.

The teachers there are actually engineers. Not capable of tailoring you to beat the HSC. Don't have much experience - you could easily get a better tutor for the same price.

Students work from their random worksheets and Coroneos - while adequate, it doesn't quite cater to ensure you can tackle the higher mark questions.

Also, the main tutors there (Seth and Panha) are easily sidetracked. Tons of bs (more from Panha) comes from their mouths.

Overall: Mediocre. Not bad, not good. Wouldn't go there again.
What evidence do you have to support the implications you're proposing?

The school has done quite well in reaching in the top 100 of the state within 3 years of establishment. I think you have unfairly placed the school at a disadvantage and your comments are more of a personal attack than to help ennny in his decision.

Enny:
Hi Enny, from the sounds of things you don't have much time. I suggest you have a chat with the principal and ask them what they can do for you. And don't be disappointed if you cant do the subjects you wanted like...Maths Ext 2.

And changing schools is up to you whether its a bad or good thing. There are a lot of factors as to what can affect your UAI. You can be in a great school but ending up with a totally sh!* marks or UAI. Some look at the aspect of making great friends, rich friends xD *rolls eyes* ehh I wouldnt know if most of the people are rich but that is a factor that a few people would gain at the end of their HS life.

Moving to PAL or ANY OTHER SCHOOLs, will NOT ganrantee you the UAI. You can have fantastic result up till your trials and totally stuff things up in your FINALs.

That's my two cents.

kevin.huynh

HSC
my cousin used to go there
its not that bad i think
but dont do it unless it is absolotely necessary

lychnobity

HSC
Personal experience.

I think you have unfairly placed the school at a disadvantage and your comments are more of a personal attack than to help ennny in his decision.
I must ask how so? I was giving enny insight, which he asked for. I'm sure enny researched PAL College on his own already, and was searching for something the internet couldn't have told him.

0hNivlek

HSC
I know someone who left my school to go to PAL and came back in a week.

iiinsane02

HSC
Yeah, and that person said that they didn't like what they offered and their teaching methods in areas other than Mathematics and Science.

Really it's up to you, but is it wise to move schools so late into the course? And as stated previously, moving schools will not guarantee you a fantastic UAI.

Best wishes with your decisions.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Can anyone give me insight to this school, because im not sure if its a good choice to make to move to that school, currently in grade 12 and thinking of moving. Anyone have good insight on PAL College? and wether its a good school?
Pal College - was initially (and still is) a tuition college for Maths - hence they'd be alright in the maths department. However, the HSC is more about just maths. I'm not too sure how they'd perform in other subjects and also the environment at PAL probably won't be like a typical high school - so I'm not sure if you'll enjoy Year 12 as much, like they don't have any sporting traditions etc.

Huynsta.

HSC
BAD IDEA mate.

I believe you are confusing the tuition centre with the actual school. Yes, some of Pal College's teachers may be engineers but isn't that a good thing? I mean, your average teacher you get at your local high schools aren't so great either.

The "engineers" teaching you would have obtained way higher UAI's than proper teachers hence they can provide you with more insight on how to succeed like they have. Likewise about experience regarding how to cope and beat the HSC.

On another note, being in year 12 as you are. It is quite risky to move schools now. Like others have said, if you put in the effort and give it your best you can achieve where ever you are.

andrewPAL

1st Lieutenant
HSC
deleted my teenybopper comment, lols

Last edited:

ihatehsc123

HSC
god, what is with all these people thinking they know about pal college
if you dont go there dont comment about teaching methods and what you think you know about the school. no one cares about second hand information that you hear from ur peers or teachers
go to the school, and talk to the principal. honestly pal college was one of the best moves in my life. i fucked up real bad in a previous inner west school, and it was a fresh opportunity to start over and study hard.
btw, dont come to pal if u have problems w/ abusing trust. alot of people who go here abuse the freedom given to them and in turn dont produce marks that they are truely capbable of.

M155LILY

HSC

Lol, I believe your friend was a girl? I forgot her name.

Not offending her in anyway, but she didn't exactly communicate with anyone.

Just because your friend left the school in a week, does not mean that the school isn't any good.

Gordy

HSC

The school has done quite well in reaching in the top 100 of the state within 3 years of establishment. I think you have unfairly placed the school at a disadvantage and your comments are more of a personal attack than to help ennny in his decision.

That's my two cents.
They only made it to the top 100 because the departments play around with the figures, honestly, any school can do that too.

PAL college is a scam;
First, they get all the smart kids around locally, offering them 'better' education and a scholarship then all the average kids who don't try hard at school in the first place think
"oh if i go to school with all the smart kids i'll be smart as well"
the parents have the same mentality and they spend loads for achieving probably a sh*tter mark than their kids could've got if they stayed at an institution that has been around for like decades.

The school doesn't develop students, all my friends who go their tell me it's a bludge and they don't do anything in class. It's all self study when they get back home. Like, why go there if you aren't going to do any work in class and do it at home ?
Do work at home now, don't be lazy; actively take notes in class, do homework given, make your own notes at home and summarise the topic when you finish. It's not hard.

Highly not recommended, although i do approve of their uniform.
The girl's dresses should be a tad shorter though.

My friend's emblem on his blazer is mispelt : 'Pal colleg'.

Last edited:

unknownmiss

HSC
PAL college is a scam
That's quite an accusation you've put out and a rather unjustified one.

Just because you're incapable of self studying and one who likes to be spoon fed their information, doesn't make PAL College a "scam". PAL College is preparing their students for the real door openers - university, and teaching them an important concept - discipline.

Going to Pal College would feel like going to tutoring Monday to Friday in my opinion. It just doesn't have the feel of a traditional high school. Also since they're not owned by any religious organisations, they'd probably be profit based.
Well clearly you're not from PAL College so I don't see how justifed you are placing a judgment on how it would "feel" to be attending the school. Even though PAL College may not have a bell signalling lunch and home time, it gives off very much the same feeling of a traditional high school and so much more. It offers students the opportunity to take on roles outside the classroom where they can have a taste of real life. The teachers are also very dedicated with their jobs, often giving up their lunch times and holidays for the sake of the students.

And yes the school is so profit based the principal splurges every cent of it on a new vending machine, new chairs and tables, refurbishing the teacher's staffroom for more staff, the addition of a library on school grounds...for who? I mean I'm sure the principal needs a study space every now and then.

Being so ignorant of the school, you're in no position to pass judgments.

astroe

HSC
LOOOOL.
If you guys want a proper insight, feel free to ask any students that go there, obviously. :)

You're certainly not going to get any credible advice from people who don't go to the school, especially if they go to one ranked 250th in the state.

If it was so "easy for the "departments to play around with the figures" then why is your own school ranking so mediocre?
If we came 97th from mere "self study at home" then I wonder, what the hell is going on at Patrician?

These are unsubstianted accusations and should be dealt with as such.

I don't know how many times I've said this to people but there's no harm in saying it again, PAL College is a private school, an ENTIRELY separate entity from PAL Education, the tuition, a private business.
The school has no say in how the tuition is run, and the tuition has no say in how the school is run, they are two completely different entities.
Any grievances experienced through the tuition need not be applied to the school, and vice versa.

However, about the school;

Due to the low number of students, the teacher to student ratio can remain relatively high.
Teachers will be better able to focus on students, having the freedom of allowing a more flexible approach to learning - more time can be spent on areas if needed.

But if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. :)
As it stands, the proof is clearly in the results of our students, each year has improved on the previous.

2008 HSC - 97th overall rank
2007 HSC - 115th overall rank

Gordy

HSC
if there's a smaller amount of students and most of them were already smart students taken from other school it is obvious that there is more smart students outweigh then the average joe.
You're comparing the college that has less then 500 kids to schools that have 1200 +

By all means, it's a new college. Take the risk if you want to go there based on statistic that was set by other students of other schools.
The school hasn't developed any students on their own yet, only take the students from other schools that have developed.

My point is, it's not the school that's achieving the rank, it's the students from other schools.

Take the risk if you want. If you want a taste of "university" and "real life" it doesn't matter what school you go to. Put in the miles in yourself, have some commitment and that will get you anywhere you want to be in life.

despite all this, i reckon the uniform is nice.

LOOOOL.
You're certainly not going to get any credible advice from people who don't go to the school, especially if they go to one ranked 250th in the state.
Well that's quite ignorant because the thread was asking opinions from different perspectives.

Go to pal college if you wish, no one's stopping you. It's a rather unnecessary risk of changing schools. When you change schools it doesn't mean you go from a 70's student to 95's.

M155LILY

HSC
"The school hasn't developed any students on their own yet, only take the students from other schools that have developed" - Gordy

Well Gordy, you haven't exactly looked into this have you? I, myself was not a "developed" student. Yet I go there. So exactly what are you trying to say? You make it seem like PAL College steals top students from other schools? If the education at PAL wasn't as good, then why do students stay? Why don't they go back to their previous school?

You're not from PAL College, so what's it to you? Exactly WHY is the school not good enough?

If PAL isn't what it seems to be, then why is it up in the Top 100? Don't you think if the school wasn't exactly great, the rankings would've been low?

I don't exactly think you have the right to judge, especially jumping into conclusions that "the board plays around with the ranking" or whatever.

That's just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)