pan's labyrinth (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
saw an advance screening of this 2day.

it's very good. certainly a bit disappointing considering it's the best reviewed film of the year (4th highest rated film of all time on metacritic(!), 8.4 on IMDb and #139 in the top 250).

i felt the characters were a bit sketchy and two-dimensional, esp. captain vidal, even though he was generally a memorable villain (lopez's performance is outstanding). nonetheless, the fantasy sequences were exceptional, and i like films about little kids escaping the horrors of reality by creating a new one with their own imagination (or opening themselves up to one that exists only for themselves - the film lets you take your pick). the ending is undeniably moving and earns the right to be emotionally manipulative; saw lots of teary-eyed patrons on the way out.

i imagine everyone here will love it, so ignore my minor qualms. it's definitely one of the better films out at the moment. 8/10

nandayo

ismist
HSC
For once icecreamdisco I agree. I think it was good, I think i'd give it a 3/4 - but for that kind of iMBD rating, I was expecting something a lot lot better.

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
I loved it. I think a lot of the high ratings were more about that it's a solid, rounded film - a lot to admire, barely anything to have an issue with.

What struck me was that people who had seen it before me and kept telling me about how violent it was. Sure, it had violence, but certainly much less that most hollywood 'blockbusters'. The difference was that they treated the violence accurately, showing you what actually happens in violent situations such as when someone is stabbed - which simply makes it a lot more powerful.

With regards to characterisation, I think that many characters were very rounded. Yet, at the same time, a key focus was that Ofelia wanted to escape the stituation, so the characters were seen from her perspective - her father simply has 'evil' etc., so they didn't necessarily need to be whole people for the film and it might have cluttered it.

Last edited:

passion89

HSC
I loved it. I thought it deserved the rating it got on IMDB etc

Sergi Lopez did a fantastic job and it overall impressed me.

icecreamdisco

HSC
toadstooltown said:
With regards to characterisation, I think that many characters were very rounded. Yet, at the same time, a key focus was that Ofelia wanted to escape the stituation, so the characters were seen from her perspective - her father simply has 'evil' etc., so they didn't necessarily need to be whole people for the film and it might have cluttered it.
i agree, but at the same time i think that's a bit of a lazy way out - the fact that the film's told from her naive point of view doesn't excuse a villain who's practically waiting for an anvil to be dropped on his head in each scene. to me, the tone of the scenes without ofelia were almost the opposite of the childlike, whimsical nature of her scenes, so they gave the film a bit of uneveness.

also, if i read another review that says "a fairy tale for adults!", my head will explode.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
I thought the girl's performance in this was absolutely mesmerising.

But... she paused too fucking much all the time!

I was completely entranced in this film. There were very few times that broke the spell for me.

One being the mother bleeding and another being the very end with Mercedes humming the lulaby and crying, open-mouthed.

I am very particular about movie focus, so if a film holds me, I consider it a masterpiece. I don't really know what the issue is with the "evil stepfather", he was simply shown from Ofelia's perspective as a true villain with no redeeming qualities. Exceptionally acted, particularly in regards to his physical movement.

The mother's "agony" annoyed me a tiny bit, as did the facial expressions of Mercedes.

And while Ofelia was magnificent, I think stronger direction would have made her character more consistent in terms of character objectives.

walrusbear

HSC
well i won't bother adding any more praise, i really liked it though.

as per the characterisation of the villain i took it to be a representative albeit simplistic figure for fascism at large. though reading this read it is probably more appropriate to treat it as a subjective treatment through the gaze of Ofelia.

SharkBait

HSC
for the past week, alot of movies have been watched (and lots money squandered) but pan's labyrinth is certainly not the case......it was very certainly much worth it. i saw it without much expectation and it took my breath away. many times throughout the film i found myself just holding my breath or covering my mouth....it was just an extremely watchable film. really enjoyed it. and by the time the credits started rolling, nobody in the cinema left...they just sat right in their seats, taking the last scenes in and listened to the closing credit melody...wondrously superb.

grue

HSC
I enjoyed the film as well. For some reason the movie made me nostalgic to watch the City of Lost Children again. o_O

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Okay, finally got around to watching this yesterday after much procrastinating and it was excellent! I think someone (too lazy to check who) mentioned that the father was the scariest character in the whole movie (either that or it was in another forum) and I'm inclined to agree. The man is warped to the Nth degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)