Paper 1 Section 1 Extended Response (1 Viewer)

matchalolz

HSC
hey all, because I've never practiced for a paper 1 section 1 before and I"m only starting now, I'm unsure of what to do for the extended response, as in:
- how long it should be (rough word count)
- how I should structure it -> like do I need an intro to introduce the ideas? separate paragraphs for each text?
- how many quotes/techniques I need for each text (if I'm discussing 2)

photastic

HSC
Referring to my 15/15 from last year, I used 4 quotes/techniques and 261 words for the 6 marker. I structured it like a mini essay but I never had separate paragraphs.

matchalolz

HSC
This may surprise you, but you shouldn't worry about arbitrary word count. The most important thing is answering the question, through adequate amount of explanation in your analysis. The issue with word count is that a lot of students have the propensity to just write as much as you can, which in turn can leads to poor time management, because remember; Section 1 is where you can get easy marks. So don't fret about word count, so as long as you provide something astute to the marker that contains enough justification.

The main structure for a 5 marker goes:

- Intro: 1-2 sentences conveying your main thesis/idea that must be clear to understand
- Body paragraph 1: 2-3 pieces of textual evidence, comparative linking sentence
- Body paragraph 2: 2-3 pieces of textual evidence, comparative linking sentence
- Conclusion: 1-2 summation of your insight into the AoS, perhaps here you can highlight something profound for discovery (e.g. the ambivalent relationship in discovery connotes the idiosyncratic nature of the human condition?

If you're still confused, I can show you a sample. :)
with your structure, is it just one text per body paragraph? a sample would be nice :)

HSC
This may surprise you, but you shouldn't worry about arbitrary word count. The most important thing is answering the question, through adequate amount of explanation in your analysis. The issue with word count is that a lot of students have the propensity to just write as much as you can, which in turn leads to poor time management, because remember; Section 1 is where you can get easy marks. So don't fret about word count, so as long as you provide something astute to the marker that contains enough justification.

The main structure for a 5 marker goes:

- Intro: 1-2 sentences conveying your main thesis/idea that must be clear to understand
- Body paragraph 1: 2-3 pieces of textual evidence, comparative linking sentence
- Body paragraph 2: 2-3 pieces of textual evidence, comparative linking sentence
- Conclusion: 1-2 summation of your insight into the AoS, perhaps here you can highlight something profound for discovery (e.g. the ambivalent relationship in discovery connotes the idiosyncratic nature of the human condition)

If you're still confused, I can show you a sample. :)
hey can you post a sample up for me too? I'm not sure if I can pull that off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)