Paper two, specifying... (1 Viewer)

alycep

I know this is the wrong forum, but i have been hearing from some teachers that there is a possibility that they could specify which Gwen Harwood poems we have to talk about?? Namely that its could be Prize Giving or Glass Jar.
Also in Frontline that they could specify episodes??
Does anyone have any ideas on this???
Thanks heaps for any help...

bubble

Moo
HSC
Our teachers have been emphasing to us all year that theres a high chance they will specify a poem this year although - no teacher would know exactly what poem would be specified (If there going to be one)

I think theres been a lot of debate, how fair it is if a student learns only 2 of the 6 specified poems compared to the student who studies an entire book..

Meh, I dunno.

Kirika

HSC
yeah they can specify the frontline episodes, dont know about the poems, but they never have that i know of... it would stuff everyone up too much. all i know is that they can do it but never have. try not to stress... if in doubt, make it up. i did that in my trial and came first in the class.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
man, why can't people get this through their heads...they can't specify. because there is just too much to know....idno about this harwood lady and her poems. but for frontline, there are 6 or 8 episodes! they can't possible expect us to know each and every one in the utmost detail, so they have to give a general question allowing students to pick which episodes they will discuss in detail. and plus, if they do specify an episode, it will be unfair to more than half of our cohort doing frontline because it advantages the people who studied those episodes and disadvantages those who didn't. its not fair, which is why they can't do that.....look at the aos paper.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
They can specify whatever they want; if they wanted to, they could tell you to make reference to a specific part of a specific frontline episode, or a specific stanza of one of the poems.

But they just won't.

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
I think the point is, they technically can, but it's highly unlikely because it advantages the people who just happened to pick the one in question. We are expected to know the text as a whole, but not to be able to talk about all of it in depth and know each one well enough to remember the techniques for each...

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
they will probly go, "Refer to this poem, and 1 other of ur choosing."

so that means u get to use your strongest, and then maybe have two or three paragraphs for the one you have to refer to.

mima23

HSC
Gwen

My teacher kept going on about how they asked for a specific poem in standard last year (sorry don't know about fronline) and they haven't asked for a specific poem in advanced since 2002 so be warned. if you know a little about 'glass jar' and 'prize giving' then you should be set. good luck all...i'm stuffed.

dr3amy

they specified a poem in 2002 but the syllabus is more different now (and they realised how stuffed up it was when sooo much people complained) and they used to have different questions for diff options in the modules so now its unlikely but you never know. but note if they specify a poem for harwood they'll have to specify an extract from lear and things like that to make it fair

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
count yourselves lucky. if you were doing internet speeches, there are like 13 of them and they HAVE specified in the hsc before, and the did specify in our trials.
so they have specified texts in the past for hsc paper 2, and there is every possibility that they will this yr - highly possible.

and in response to the post above, its not a rule that if they specify for one text, they do for the others. i know it is very unfair, but my teacher (and eng coordinator) told me that they don't have to do it for everyone. in our trial, internet speeches were specified, but not gwen harwood. so, im not really sure what to expect!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)