Parabola (1 Viewer)

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
A question worthy of q7 3U, or a definite Harder 3Unit.

The chord AB is normal to the parabola x^2=4ay. Find the point A which minimizes the length of this chord.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
this is how far i got::

got the normal equation

ty - at^3 = 2at - x

ty + x = 2at + at^3

now, the normal meets the parabola again at
(2aq, aq^2)

we sub values in

atq^2 + 2aq = 2at + at^3

atq^2 + 2aq - 2at - at^3 = 0

this is a quadratic in q

sum of roots = -b/a (from polynomials)

q1 + q2 = -2a / at

however, we know that one of the roots is t

q2 + t = -2a/at

q2 = -(2a + at^2)/at

Now we know the q value for the intersection point

I subbed the valu in (2aq, aq^2),

Q(-4a/t - 2at, (a/t^2)(4 + 4t^2 + t^4) )

and the original point of normal

T(2at, at^2)

and i'd use the distance formula,

QT^2 = (2at - (-4a-2at))^2 + (at^2 - (a/t^2)(4+4t^2 + t^2)

which simplifies to

QT^2 = 16a^2 (1 + 1/t) (t^2 + 2 + 1/t^2)

QT^2 = 16a^2 (t^2 + t + 2 + 2/t + 1/t^2 + 1/t^3)

now.. finding the minimum..
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

or am I stuck on the wrong direction?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
well.. I used the graph calculator, and found that for the minimum length of AB, t = 1.25 something..

irrational value. confusing question. How many marks would this be?

(and if you were a marker, could you be kind enough to tell me how much mark would I have scored :D)

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Underthesun: you've done well.

This question is much a test of algebraic manipulation. Small error, corrected as follows :

QT^2 = (2at - (-4a/t-2at))^2 + ((at^2 - (a/t^2)(4+4t^2 + t^4))^2
=(16a^2)(t+1/t)^2+a^2(4/t^2+4)^2
=(16a^2)((t+1/t)^2+(1/t^2+1)^2)
=(16a^2)((t^2+1)^2)(1/t^2+1/t^4)
=[(16a^2)((t^2+1)^3]/t^4

I'll let you finish it from here...

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
ahh.. i see

QT^2 = [16a^2 (t^2 + 1)^3] / t^4

differentiate it to find stationary points of QT^2,

(my working would be a mess if I typed it hard, but you get the picture)

d/dt = 16a^2[(t^2+1)^2 / t^5] * [ 2t^2 - 4]

for d/dx = 0,

2t^2 - 4 = 0

hence,

t^2 = 2

t = (positive or negative) root two

Normally I would say this

by looking at the graph of parabola, there would be no "maximum" for QT^2 since that the distance can get infinitely big for QT^2 at infinite values of t, hence t = sqrt(2) and t=-sqrt(2) are the values of t in which the chord made by the normal from point A is the shortest. Hence the point A is (sub t in to 2at, at^2) or (the other negative one).
is that sufficient for proving that it is minimum? or do I have to differentiate or use table method for decreasing and increasing function value etc..

need to brush up my algebra skills :D

thanks for the question.. made me realise my holes in differentiation

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Quote:
by looking at the graph of parabola, there would be no "maximum" for QT^2 since...

If I was the marker yes.

However, just in case you did try to prove minima by the usual way ie. second derivative, or increasing-decreasing table, I always tell my students (2,3 and 4U) that when you have a potentially messy derivative (products, quotients) the second method (increasing/decreas) works more efficiently, particularly when terms are in convenient factorized form eg.

d/dt = 16a^2[(t^2+1)^2 / t^5] * [ 2t^2 - 4]

it is easy to see that slightly to the left of +sqrt(2) it is neg., slightly to the right, positive etc. And when it is -sqrt(2) the t^5 in the denominator makes sure that you get the same result. So there, it is a myth that the second derivative method is always a shortcut!

Good work btw.

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
underthesun quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by looking at the graph of parabola, there would be no "maximum" for QT^2 since that the distance can get infinitely big for QT^2 at infinite values of t, hence t = sqrt(2) and t=-sqrt(2) are the values of t in which the chord made by the normal from point A is the shortest. Hence the point A is (sub t in to 2at, at^2) or (the other negative one).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can mathematically translate your beautiful quote to dispel all traces of marker's doubt :

the function QT^2 = [16a^2 (t^2 + 1)^3] / t^4 has vertical asymptote at t=0, it is always positive, as well it approaches +infinity as t----+-infinity. Hence, since there is but one stationary point for t>0 at t=sqrt(2), then it must be the minimum. Similarly for t<0.
The new Complex Number Q will have a still more interesting discussion in finding and determining (nature of) turning points.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
If i could write that I would write that, but i was thinking of this:

If the above question appears in an exam, and I got up to the point of proving the nature of turning point. But I already know it is a minimum, I just don't know how to prove it.

Then just say, that an idea came up to my mind. I just need to create an increasing-decreasing table but not do any calculations, and just answering as -ve or +ve (indicating decreasing or increasing), because I already know the nature of the turning point.

Would the marker be satisfied with "+ve" or "-ve" values in the increasing-decreasing table?

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
I believe, in the context of this problem -considering that since you are in no doubt that it is a minima, yes go ahead and take a punt - I might get shot down on this.

But be careful, that one day examiners might come up with a question specifically to catch the -ve and +ve bluffers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)