Paradigms (1 Viewer)

Muso7

HSC
hey does anyone have a good way of explaining any sort of paradigms in the 19th century coz i'm so stuck for my assessment thingy

..thanks :)

HSC
Basically, Paradigms are the patterns or framework that society was ruled by during the 19th century. You could also say that they are the unwritten 'rules' of the time.
The diffrent paradigms are Economic, Philosophical, Scientific, Religion, POlitical and Social.
Economic would be concerned with wealth, how it influenced society (i.e marriage, class division etc)
Philosophical would be the ways of interpreting things such as historical, social, political events and also workplace or individiauls in society)
Scientifc basically includeds womens accomplishments and mens 'jobs' such as being a landlord/balancing money. And religion is quite obvious.

Muso7

HSC
thankyou SOOOOO much !!!!!!!!!!!!

steffiduck

HSC
fly.away.fairy said:
Basically, Paradigms are the patterns or framework that society was ruled by during the 19th century. You could also say that they are the unwritten 'rules' of the time...

And religion is quite obvious.
In the C19th, there was a movement away from religion and into the sciences (eg Darwin), and was reflected alot in literature (i think George Eliot was a big supporter of the sciences. Also there was a movement away from "anglicanism" and into dissentism (well, im not sure if thats a word, but they were just people who were fed up with the Church if England, called dissenters), the fall of morality (which i think is shown in ADH, if your studying it) AND catholism made a resurgance in the 1850s, and is reflected in some of Charlotte Bronte's literature.

hope that is helpful...

bluestone

HSC
N/A
well what is the difference between paradigms and ideologies?

daviet

HSC
im pretty sure its the same, unless you are talking about ideals, which is more specific and means the 'norm' set by various standards of the context

pitbulloncrack

HSC
Essentially, in Postmodernism, when the syllabus talks about Paradigms it really wants you to consider the archetypes within the text.

Simply put: Paradigm is a more definitive term for a Stereotype, but is more exclusive in the sense that a Paradigm relates to specific context (eg the novel you're studying).

mzduxx2006

HSC
bluestone said:
well what is the difference between paradigms and ideologies?
paradigms is like unwritten universal truths, for example men always being in a high position than women, ideologies are more like personal thoughts or beliefs, like i hate vinegar chips. thats my ideology. :D

yea i think thats the difference between the two......

luridlysteph14

HSC
Okay, so Charlotte saying that she can only afford to marry for economic stability, not romance is an economic paradigm that influences the economic and religious institution of marriage -- and is a personal ideology that she isn't able to fall in love the way Lizzy does?

I really am so far behind and confused about all of the techincal stuff. I know my texts in terms of influences, but none of the coin phrases, words and definitions that the Department wants. So... I feel that I can't really study my related texts effectively until I do know them. So thank you so much!

It's really quite sad the amount I learn on BoS compared to in class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)