paralegal/legal sec work (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
Heya
Just wondering if anyone's got a position like this/knows someone else who has.
The thing is whenever I look in the paper/net/uni website, you tend to need legal secretary experience. I've been to a couple of interviews where it hasn't said you need experience, but when you get there it's very clear that those with experience have applied, and they will obviously be considered before you. I have like 1.5 yrs experience in retail and am only doing 1st yr law. I've been doing casual filing (1 day p/w) for the past month for my uncle (who's a barrister) but this doesn't include anything remotely secretarial-it's pretty much just straight filing. Any ideas on how to get my leg in the door? Thing is unpaid work experience is pretty much out of the question for me, seeing as I live away from home and need money for food etc.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Legal Sec job doesn't have to be full time. There are a number of law students out there doing legal sec jobs on a timeshare arrangement. It's possible. Hannah, a legal recruiter may be able to help you find work to fit around your uni studies.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
There are a few ways to do this.
1. Uni career sites are a great place to start, the jobs there are almost always intended for students.
2. Send your resume/rock up and ask at local law firms (Know quite a few who got a job this way)
3. Look in local papers
4. Knowing people who work in these places and can hook you up
5. Seek etc but these arent usually appropriate for students

Don't be discouraged if you don't get one straight away as they often want someone in 3-5th year *this does not mean you cannot get one earlier but it is a bit harder* and lots of law students want these jobs and there aren't that many that are suitable. Just keep at it Good luck I've finally been lucky to find something, the pay isn't great during training but it gets better.

good luck

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
tulipa does this, i think? iirc. ask her how she got it
I work as a casual "paralegal" at a firm in the city. Decent pay.

Basically I got it because I knew someone and they like having a few uni students on hand. Most of them are law students but two of us aren't. You pretty much have to have connections to get the job. I don't know anyone in my department who didn't use some form of nepotism. Sad part of the corporate world but it happens.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
damn connections.

does a tafe administration cert. help? lol.

.ben

HSC
Can I get a paralegal job with no experience in the field?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
So what's the difference between a law clerk and a paralegal?

Was there much to learn since you had no experience in the field?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
Was there much to learn since you had no experience in the field?
There was quite a bit to learn in terms of data entry because I had to work with a few different programs and protocols but I've been there for 18 months and it's all pretty smooth sailing now.

I also do some document management (i.e. scanning, labelling, filing, collation) which is easy as pie.

Occasionally I'll do some editing for a prospectus for Corporate or something of that ilk but it's all pretty simple and straightforward. It's not so much about having knowledge of the law, more about doing what you're told :p

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
There was quite a bit to learn in terms of data entry because I had to work with a few different programs and protocols but I've been there for 18 months and it's all pretty smooth sailing now.

I also do some document management (i.e. scanning, labelling, filing, collation) which is easy as pie.

Occasionally I'll do some editing for a prospectus for Corporate or something of that ilk but it's all pretty simple and straightforward. It's not so much about having knowledge of the law, more about doing what you're told :p
You don't have to do any research or discovery?

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I work at a law firm, doing legal/office duties. I had no connections and don't do law, guess I got lucky. It's pretty easy to pickup on everything though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)