Parametrics (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I officially suck at parametrics, well at least i think so.. Are their standard questions that are usually asked in preliminaries? Im cramming it, and need to know what i can 'leave' out and what i cant..any tips will be great.

mishka

HSC
N/A
join the club... although i did get full marks for a parametric question in the trial so i was cheerin'!!

i don't think anything can be "left out" - you should be able to prove all the results - that's how i remember them... it seems to be easier for me to remember the proofs rather than memorise some equation... :)

mishka

HSC
N/A
u were never taught the two-point formula???!! well, at least you know it now, and make sure you learn it!! :p

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Two pt formula is simply (y-y1)/(x-x1)=(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)
i.e. pt and gradient formula as quoted above, but with m expanded.

They probably didn't teach you it as it's more error prone.

To derive eq chord, m=(ap^2-aq^2)/(2ap-2aq), factorise, and then shove in pt and gradient formula [or use two pt formula]

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
say if the question doesn't ask for anything in specific (eg, gradient of chord PQ being (p+q)/2) could you just say that and work out from there to answer the question.

Especially for equation of a chord from a point of contact ( i hope there hasn't been any questions asking for the derivation of this )

Estel

Tutor
HSC
They will never ask for the proof of chord of contact.
You must work out everything, and not assume anything that was not given or from previous parts.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yes don't bother learning the formula's. Learn how to derive them, it is often easier to do that then remember the exact formula in any case.

mishka

HSC
N/A
wrx said:
thats not the two point formula mishka!
i never posted that formula!! it was nick1048.... jeez :p

but now you know what it is and that's all that matters!! good luck!! :)

edit: arrgghhhh... got it... i don't read things properly!!! at least estel knows what's going on... i'm going to shut up now!! :(

Last edited:

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Xayma said:
Yes don't bother learning the formula's. Learn how to derive them, it is often easier to do that then remember the exact formula in any case.
not for chord of contact... but common sense agrees with you

Another question.
Say if the question gives you the values of t1 and t2 or just gives you coordinates are you allowed to work with x^2 = 4ay and P(2ap,ap^2) then at the end say since a = 1/4 or whatever etc etc then sub in the correct stuff, or do you have to work with the proper values at the start.
I hate working with numbers >.<

Estel

Tutor
HSC
pfft chord of contact derivation is 3 lines given that they've asked you to prove tangents earlier.

You must work with proper values lol. Can't sub in whatever number makes your life easier.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Estel said:
You must work with proper values lol. Can't sub in whatever number makes your life easier.
Hmm i don't see why not though, it still works out at the end.

another question.

say if you just found something for p
eg
ii) proove that the equation of the normal at P is given by x + py = 2ap + ap^3

once you proove that and later on you need the eqn of the normal at Q can you just go Similarly, x + qy = 2aq + aq^3
my teacher said you could but she aint a hsc marker.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Because it's not mathematically sound!
If you can justify it, then you can use it. Give an example, I don't really see how you can prove if something works for one value, it works for all.

As for your q, yes you may, but say it straight after you say the normal of P, otherwise it doesn't make sense (i.e. similarly to what?).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)