• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Parents Choosing Subjects (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Tell your parents to get fucked. I don't care if they're asian parents. Alternatively fail some tests on purpose just to spite them, it's year 11 and won't affect any final result.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
withoutaface said:
Tell your parents to get fucked. I don't care if they're asian parents.
Perfect. I couldn't put it in any better way myself.

Although I am grateful that I followed my teacher's advice of doing engineering studies, I really enjoyed the course (not to mention the least workload of any subject, except maybe maths).

sladehk

le random
HSC
Except if you screw yr 11, you'll be behind for yr 12 :(

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I screwed year 11 and I'm doing OK.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
i screwed yr 11 [ok, so it was only one subject, no wait, unless you include english, then that's two] and so now i'm really confused. i guess it depends on the person

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
sladehk said:
Except if you screw yr 11, you'll be behind for yr 12 :(
I'm not saying don't learn the content, just conveniently "forget" it during the exam to show that you're no good at the subject and make your parents change their mind.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I'm not saying don't learn the content, just conveniently "forget" it during the exam to show that you're no good at the subject and make your parents change their mind.
yeah but the main reason they would want you to do a subject is because they think it scales well. so if s/he still does crap, they probably think the subject will still scale up anyway

michelleanne

HSC
I think many parents make subject decisions because they think their kids are incapable of making decisions .... this is what growing up means... having the capability of making decisions about your life on your own terms.... i wish parents can understand this concept..........

my parents were great though.......... decisions were left up to me.,.. didn't even object to dropping maths and I achieved an extrememly good UAI....

My sister has just started year 11 and she has dropped maths and science subjects... not that she wasn't good a them...... she had acheived highly in both subjects previously- but disliked both intensely. But her personality and interests reflect the more creative, english and humanities subjects more.

My sister put everything into perspective- she said that if you don't enjoy and like the subjects now then it is more than likely that you won't end up in that particular field of work.....

If you do end up needing maths/science there are bridging courses....

I didn't do maths and have just completed a bachelor of health science and a bachelor of laws degree ....... and I have also been accepted to do honours in health science and a masters in social science......... all the maths i used throughout all my study was the basics... addition, subtraction, division, multiplication and percentages......... this just shows that doing maths is not the be all and end all.

rumour

HSC
illmtl said:
Can't talk them out of it cos they have a much better arguement.... but it'll give you good marks for your HSC....
If you don't concetrate then you won't do well in that subject-it doesn't matter how well it scales!!!!!!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
illmtl said:
Hey, how do I cope with subjects that my parents have chosen?

Has anyone else had that?

My parents picked 3u Maths for me, and though I'm quite good at Maths it bores me to death. I know I can get the decision reversed and out in my favour but that seems to be a lot more effort than actually doing the subject.

I guess what I'm really asking is how can I do well in a subject that I'm not at all committed to? (This goes for English Adv. too)
Just to answer this question directly. Well, but only to a certain point. I did 3u maths because I was good at maths, but I hated it... so I ended up just scraping by for prelim and dropping it for HSC. Subjects you do best in are the ones you have an interest in, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
if my parents did that, i would tell em 2 get fuked

all my parents did was offer advice, like sayn "seeing u can barely grasp english, doing chinese wouldnt b advised son"

shit like that

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
...wat would parents kno...the HSC is about u not them so its only commonsense u choose the subjects u are gonna do..

lala2

Banned
HSC
My parents forced me to do 3U Maths and 3U English on the basics that I could always drop it, so I did, and now both have grown on me (I'm keeping both). They said I had to do it because they had never forced anything on me ever in my life (which is very true), so this was the one time I should make a compromise. So I did. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.

So what's the situation with your parents? Do they let you do whatever you want, just like I did? If they did, maybe a compromise is a good idea, just for once? (believe me, I was really angry at them for a few days both before and after the subject selection form was handed in, but as I said, it was the best thing I ever did). If not, just stick with 3U Maths for a term or something and just see how it goes.

And how correct are your parents? My parents don't know much about the scaling system, the UAI or the HSC when it came to choosing my Yr 11 subjects, but they guaranteed me I would come to eventually like them, it was just a matter of time. My parents are always correct in what they say (it's the truth, it's not defending my parents or anything), so my gut instinct just told me to go along with it, and guess what? It turned out correctly.

Let us know how you go, yeah?

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
[trent] said:
6 periods of maths a week seems insane..especially if you're not enjoying it...

I'm doing 2U maths purely because of my parents, but we made a compromise that if i still wasn't enjoying/doing well at maths by end of yr11, I could drop it.
six periods, u have 2 be jkn right... lol i do 21 periods of maths every 2 weeks, that is 10 one week n 11 the other. its not insane, i quiet enjoy it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
JamiL said:
six periods, u have 2 be jkn right... lol i do 21 periods of maths every 2 weeks, that is 10 one week n 11 the other. its not insane, i quiet enjoy it.
omg how much maths do you have in one day? you hav 2 hav like a double every single day. then again u enjoy it so i guess its not bad 4 u. but still thats the most periods of one subject that ive ever heard of. wat maths subs do u do?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Personally, my parents never interfered with my subject choices (and I'm Asian believe it or not) - I always had the freedom to make my own choices relating to school subjects, and no matter what I chose they supported me.

Btw. at one stage, my parents suggested I don't do 4U maths (only advice)...and yes, I'm Asian (to reinforce)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)