Parents Don't let me Drive! (1 Viewer)

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
I've had my P-plates for a few months now and my parents REFUSE to let me drive the car, they will never buy me a car and I'm using my saved money to go to uni, so I cant buy one myself..

I live pretty far out of town, so Im stuck in the middle of no where.. going insane.
The beach is a TINY 10 min drive but they refuse to let me drive the car.

There reason is "We don't have it insured for you"
But will not make any effort to insure it for me.

Honestly I'm a safe driver, and all I ask is to drive the the beach or the movies once in a while...

How can I persuade my parents to let me drive?:bomb:

*Baby-K*

HSC
I guess they don't want to insure it for you because then their insurance will be higher???
Maybe try compromising with them somehow?

savio23q

Band
HSC
I drive with no insurance under my name.
The car is insured in my mum's name. Therefore, I carry a photocopy of my mum's license so that I can exchange details with the other guy. If they want their car fixed then they'd do it.

On another note, did you (the OP) ever do any stupid shit when on your L's to make your parents think you're not that good of a driver? E.g. Speed, turn into wrong lanes, not signal...you know? That'd make them lose confidence in you.

sparkerasp

HSC
How can I persuade my parents to let me drive?
When you have time, sit down with them [that's BOTH of them] (allow about 30 minutes) and ask them why.

Them answering "We don't have it insured for you" is completely unacceptable and you shouldn't accept that as an answer. Ask them why they won't insure you. Don't accept a sloppy answer. They don't accept sloppy answers from you, so why should you accept it from them?

By not letting you drive is actually going to be quite bad for you in the future as you would've gone for a long time without driving, thus loosing all the stuff you learnt as a learner (hence making you more dangerous on the road).

BTW, why not take out HECS/HELP when in Uni? There's nothing wrong with that.

SamQ

HSC
Its probably because your a shit driver and your parents dont want to tell you that..

Just.Snaz

HSC
By not letting you drive is actually going to be quite bad for you in the future as you would've gone for a long time without driving, thus loosing all the stuff you learnt as a learner (hence making you more dangerous on the road).
I think this argument is good. Eventually, as you grow older, you'll need to use the car to go places, work, etc.. But until then, they need to let you drive so you don't forget how to. Tell them that you don't want to go long distances or anything, just start with short distances and eventually they'll gain confidence in you, and let you go anywhere.

EDIT: oh and bug the crap out of them to get it insured. No car should be driven without insurance

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
If you wanna say "i'll lose my skills and become a dangerous driver" you're just giving em an excuse not to

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Your parents aren't obliged to give you a car, or pay the high insurance premiums for under-25 drivers and it probably won't help the situation if you act like they owe you something. But it really sucks if they don't help you out. You might need to reach a compromise, like paying for part of the extra insurance cost. Because I'm studying I get the sweet deal of only paying for petrol, but my sibling (who was working full time) had to pay half the rego, half all repairs, half insurance, plus petrol (and even then it's getting it pretty easy)

Do you have a job? If not, get one to help pay for the car, it's only fair.

I they're worried about you not being a safe enough driver, point out to them that you will only become so through experience. Maybe you could set conditions like not having additional people in the car, no music on, not driving at night etc until you've been driving a few weeks without a supervisor. Whatever it takes.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Well like DIF suggested you could say "I can only get better with experience" or you could say "If you keep this up I'm gonna be a worse driver". Which one sounds better?

Honestly just start small. If your parents are going to the shops drive em around and show em theres nothing to worry about.

sparkerasp

HSC
Your parents aren't obliged to give you a car, or pay the high insurance premiums for under-25 drivers and it probably won't help the situation if you act like they owe you something.
That's a very good point DownInFlames and it's something I should've also taken into account in my answer.
Remember that practice will allow you to gain confidence and skills required to drive. Did you drive them around as a learner? From the sounds of things it seems like your parents are worrying that you'll turn into a street racer (and I don't blame them with all the P-plate publicity).
Honestly just start small. If your parents are going to the shops drive em around and show em theres nothing to worry about.
That's a good idea, but do it after they've placed insurance on your vehicle.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I dont think you should get insured, its a massive rip for p platers. I drive my dads car around uninsured, looking at 2k excess. The premium on a 1.6L goes up by around 1.8k/year if I'm insured, it really isn't worth it. Forking out that much for your premium only to drop excess to $500 is stupid, considering that the likelihood of an accident is pretty low, even for a p plater fresh on the road.

Besides she's not going to be driving it everyday around the clock, imo its a needless expense for such little use of the car. What difference is there anyway, I presume all this time on her L's she wasn't covered, they still let her go around with em.

samwell

HSC
I've had my P-plates for a few months now and my parents REFUSE to let me drive the car, they will never buy me a car and I'm using my saved money to go to uni, so I cant buy one myself..

I live pretty far out of town, so Im stuck in the middle of no where.. going insane.
The beach is a TINY 10 min drive but they refuse to let me drive the car.

There reason is "We don't have it insured for you"
But will not make any effort to insure it for me.

Honestly I'm a safe driver, and all I ask is to drive the the beach or the movies once in a while...

How can I persuade my parents to let me drive?:bomb:
Tell one of ua parents to put ua name down as a part time driver<or sumething> but remain in their name. u dont pay extra cost and u'll receive road side assistance and other member benefits. so u dont have to pay craploads more on insurance

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I dont think you should get insured, its a massive rip for p platers. I drive my dads car around uninsured, looking at 2k excess. The premium on a 1.6L goes up by around 1.8k/year if I'm insured, it really isn't worth it. Forking out that much for your premium only to drop excess to $500 is stupid, considering that the likelihood of an accident is pretty low, even for a p plater fresh on the road.

Besides she's not going to be driving it everyday around the clock, imo its a needless expense for such little use of the car. What difference is there anyway, I presume all this time on her L's she wasn't covered, they still let her go around with em.
On our car the premium is the same since I'm a "secondary" driver or some shit but the excess if there's a crash while I'm driving would make our car a technical right-off, regardless of damage, lulz. The main thing is that the other persons car would be covered. BTW, L platers are covered by the fully licensed person instructing them.
I got added onto my parents insurance, and the premium didn't increase at all. At least look into whether or not it would even cost you anything.
Yes, but if you crash while driving the excess will be a lot more.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Out of curiosity, do the premiums go up for the compulsary 3rd party property insurance? If so, do you have to get special insurance for under 25 drivers, to cover the legal minimum, or is it fine to just use your parents' for that if they also drive the car?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)