parents paying for uni fees/textbooks etc (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
okay
im class of 03
and i am still in uni
and my parents r still paying for all my stuff
textbooks... uni fees... transport.... food.... clothing... even my car.. including petrol too !!!

i know it sounds like im a spoilt brat...

but i thought everyone else was like that .. until i talked to a few friends about this money issue.. and they all seem to be paying by themselves for everything...

so i kind of feel bad ... and guilty now ....

but then again i think of it as another HECS loan.. and i could always giv back after i graduate and land a real job..

im a big spender.. so the money i make from work basically dissapears on clothes, drinks, clubs, etc.... (u can say this.. i make $1 and spend $2)

so just wondering.. who here pays for their own transport/textbooks/uni fees/lunch etc etc...

i know relying on your parents is not a good thing..
but my parents insist on paying for me till i graduate as long as i dont fail...
which is a decent thing also after i thought about it.. (coz i can always giv back later on too... its about helping each other.. they help me now when im in need.. and i help them later when they are in need (ie pensioners)....

i know it depends on alotta things too such as your parents financial position.. your own financial position.. etc

but just to see a general idea of the who pays for uni fees etc pattern...

giv us your personal insight of how you manage to fork out hundreds and thousands of dollars each semester to keep yourself in uni..

cheers

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I HECSed all my subjects, my parents paid for accomms at college and I spent my Youth Allowance on Fees, books, transport (bought own car plus rego insurance), entertainment and additional food/drinks. I didn't drink alcohol or party.

If you're feeling guilty just start paying for your own stuff.

As for spoilt, depends, do you drive a new $30k car at all hours of the day and night aimlessly around the city while blasting your stereo on full blast pretending like you're the best because of your parents money? That to me would be a spoilt brat. If it's just some second hand car you use to get from A to B and don't waste your parents money like it's growing on trees it's not being a spoilt brat.

bradc1988

HSC
I've also 'HECSed' my subjects but I pay for basically everything else except rent and utilities. I use my Youth Allowance to pay my way with fees, books, transport, internet etc and I've found the most expensive thing to be food. I've never had a job because when I started getting YA I couldn't be bothered and would prefer to devote as much time as possible to get a better education, but I'll have to get a job during the next summer holidays because money is tight at the moment.

I guess consider yourself lucky to have the majority of things paid for.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't pay for my textbooks or uni fees. My parents also paid for my car, but I use it at the family business... they didn't buy me a $35,000 car for no reason.

I do pay the rego and insurance, which is about $3000 a year, for petrol ($70+ per week), food, and anything else I want to buy.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
My parents pay for uni fees, a yearly train ticket to redfern, and for textbooks. (And for food and all that as i live at home)

Everything else i have to pay.

sarevok

HSC
My parents are paying for half my HECS and for textbooks

I don't feel guilty about it because they want to do it and I didn't go to private schools; I figure most people's parents have spent more on their education than my parents have spent on mine

edit: There's also a crapload of full-fee students out there whose parents are paying up to 20000 a year, so I don't think you should feel too bad

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
paying fees/textbooks upfront with my own money. It's my education, not my parents.

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
Im paying my HECs but my parents pay for textbooks, union fees, petrol, car and rego, clothes, food, phone bill etc etc. and I went to a private school.

I have a part time job as a coach and an umpire - do I feel guilty? No, its their choice. If they didnt want to pay I would get a job and do it myself but I train 7 days a week, I go to uni all day 5 days a week and so dont really have the time.

I know Im fortunate and that others are not nearly as 'well off' I guess as some but that doesnt mean I should feel guilty - just fortunate.

Last edited:

bubu

well my parents paid for the first semester and the rest im goin to borrow cause they cant be bothered for me to pay upfront cause its too much and i cant fork out that much... so they told me that if i dont get distinction average throughout the next 2 years, they will pay the last one and a half years so i finish the degree but i will have to pay them back not to say the least the 50k loan i will have on hecs, and if i get on the dean's list for atleast 3-4 years then i dont have to give them the 10k from first year

0Jade0

HSC
My parents pay for everything. (I don't have a job anyway). Even if I do get a job they said they will pay still.

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
i 'HECSed' everything possible, and i am paying half of my textbooks, student activity fees. but my parents are currently paying for my weekly train ticket.
I agree with someone's comment below, 'it is my education not theirs' so i want to pay everything that i can

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
My parents pay for the big things such as

parents
rego
insurance
car
Student activity fees
yearly parking permit
textbooks

I pay for
going out
clothes
presents
petrol (usually, sometimes i scab 10 bucks when my money from work is all gone for petty off my dad)
groceries (i don't eat what my parents eat so i buy half of my own groceries)

But if i make big bucks during my holidays (from work) ... i usually help out with the "big stuff" so instead of giving me 600-700, they'll only have to give me 300-500 :D

santaslayer

HSC
I pay nothing.

I guess it's sort of the monetary reward I get for helping out with the family business.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
my parents are paying for everything. except i manage to pay for my petrol. they paid for my textbooks, fees, etc.

sometimes i feel bad about it, hearing how other people pay their own way, but i suppose im just lucky.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
My parents pay my HECS and thats it.

They also loaned me the money to buy my car, and I pay that back each week when the pay goes in.

I'm still living at home, so they buy groceries, but I usually buy treats and stuff that go into the cupboard :D

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i pay for everything uni related- transport, text books, hecs etc although this year i don't know if i can afford hecs. On the other hand I don't pay board though

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Parents pay university fees upfront. They also paid for the textbooks (all are new except one second-hand). And they are paying for transport.

I pay for everything else .. going out, buying food/clothes etc. Don't drive, though, so that saves a fair bit of money.

They also said that I will pay them university fees back once I get a full-time job after uni. They are just paying now so we can get the 20% discount and don't have to worry about getting charged interest.

And also, if I'm still living at home once I am working full-time, they are going to charge me rent.

Lainee

HSC
I'm on a few scholarships so that was sufficient to cover my uni fees + transport costs + textbook costs. Other than that, I pretty much financially support my family since my dad is disabled and can't work and my mum should be retired but the poor dear is stubbornly holding onto her dwindling business. And my sister is only 15, so I'm not going to let her work.

Everything I earned goes into a 'family account' type thing and everyone just dips into it whenever they need to. So not only am I paying for all my expenses (going out, clothes, books etc.), I'm also paying the bills, food, necessities and everything else my family needs.

I feel as if I'm independent (since I can support myself without any help) but without any independence (since my family needs me to work).

It's a funny feeling being the breadwinner. :)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
My parents paid my fees, and i bought my textbooks (2nd hand) though asked for cash for new one, but I don't like leeching off my parents and hence I am job searching, they expect me to pay back my uni fees (hecs) when i'm working full time. Though I should be getting scholarship money soon, no idea what it's for just some company thing I have been apart of since I was little.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i pay for uni fees, textbooks, travelpass, clothes, food etc etc... and i'm deferring hecs cos i can't afford to pay up front

dad pays the food i eat at home.. oh and my piano lessons. he stopped giving me pocket money the day i turned 18 :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)