Parliament Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I guess this thread has the potential to bomb big time, lol. Anyway, I watch parliament, and I figured it'd be cool to have a thread to discuss this stuff in, since it's all pretty relevant and whatever. Does anyone else watch whenever they can?

One thing I noticed today is that Wayne Swan looks nervous and tends to perform terribly when he is. He was fine as an opposition front bencher but when he's answering the questions he tends to stumble and whatever. Lindsay Tanner was a much better performer at doing, more or less, exactly what Wayne Swan's doing in parliament (talking about financial matters and whatever). Julia Gillard was pretty good too. And this new speaker is a breath of fresh air after that bozo David Hawker left resumed his seat (olol).

Someone respond in my thread plz. :(

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
I try to watch parliament whenever I get the opportunity. Even if it is somewhat staged in many ways, it can be good for a laugh.

It can be informative, and watching question time directly definitely provides a greater snapshot of the issues discussed than is presented on the nightly news.

The reason Wayne Swan is nervous and regularly stumbles, is that he is not well versed in economic issues. He would be a much better performer in an area that is less demanding in terms of specific, calculated knowledge i.e. Defence, Foreign Affairs. The Treasury portfolio is of course said to be the toughest of them all.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
The new speaker is totally awesome. He even has a sense of humour. And in yesterday's question time he said he was considering cracking down on open-ended government questions (stuff like "Is the minister aware of any alternative views?", basically just an excuse to attack the opposition), which is fantastic.

I have no idea whether Swan is strong on economic knowledge or not, but he definitely isn't much good at speaking off the cuff, as senior ministers are required to do. In today's MPI he kept on repeating sentences over and over while he tried to figure out what he was saying next. He'll probably get better with practice, though.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Yesterday was funny, every question Brendan Nelson through at
K-Rudd, he answered and rebuttaled them with the most appropriate text.
He has good knowledge/

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Triangulum said:
The new speaker is totally awesome. He even has a sense of humour. And in yesterday's question time he said he was considering cracking down on open-ended government questions (stuff like "Is the minister aware of any alternative views?", basically just an excuse to attack the opposition), which is fantastic.

I have no idea whether Swan is strong on economic knowledge or not, but he definitely isn't much good at speaking off the cuff, as senior ministers are required to do. In today's MPI he kept on repeating sentences over and over while he tried to figure out what he was saying next. He'll probably get better with practice, though.
I hope so. I genuinely like Swan and feel a bit sorry for him. I'm hoping that with time he'll get better. He didn't seem to be too ruffled by Turnbulls repeated questions about this Bracks bullshit, which I guess adds weight to what incentivation said. In other words, he seems capable when he's not talking about economics.

I agree about the new speaker. When the member for Lyons (forget his name) got up to say his bit, their interaction was gold.

chickie pie said:
I like watching Parliament Live when the Liberals was in power
It's a shame Peter Costello isn't on the front bench anymore. :( He was so entertaining. :D

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I hope so. I genuinely like Swan and feel a bit sorry for him. I'm hoping that with time he'll get better. He didn't seem to be too ruffled by Turnbulls repeated questions about this Bracks bullshit, which I guess adds weight to what incentivation said. In other words, he seems capable when he's not talking about economics.

I agree about the new speaker. When the member for Lyons (forget his name) got up to say his bit, their interaction was gold.

It's a shame Peter Costello isn't on the front bench anymore. :( He was so entertaining. :D

I saw him on the backbench today, looking sad. :(

spiny norman

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Gillard's been pretty good though. Her slams on Bishop and Tuckey have been great to behold.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Haha, yeah. Yesterday she walked all over Julie Bishop with that industrial relations stuff. I get the sense that they really don't like each other too much. :p

Her voice is incredibly grating though.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Bishop walked right into that, though, since her question was "How is the minister going to ensure that her workplace changes maintain penalty rates and leave loadings for working families?" or whatever. I mean, what did she think Gillard was going to say?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
If anyone wants to be bored out of their mind by an arcane dispute between Bob Brown and the President of the Senate about anachronistic parliamentary traditions or by discussions about a revaluation of the parliament's copy of the Magna Carta, it's Senate additional estimates week! Live video on the parliament website.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Bloody hell, the opposition need to drop these Brian Burke questions. It's a dead end line of questioning that is going nowhere. It didnt gain any traction last year, and won't now. Rudd is handling the questions well and the opposition are now just wasting their questions.

They should be targeting the government's weakest links, such as Wayne Swan.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Rafy said:
Bloody hell, the opposition need to drop these Brian Burke questions. It's a dead end line of questioning that is going nowhere. It didnt gain any traction last year, and won't now. Rudd is handling the questions well and the opposition are now just wasting their questions.

They should be targeting the government's weakest links, such as Wayne Swan.

They shouldn't, you'll never know maybe Kevin Rudd had a sexual relationship with Burke. ;)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
LOL

Wayne Swan is getting cut up hard.

He has no idea what the NAIRU is.

Talking about parting gift, ect. Jeers all round. This speaker fucking owns the previous coalition fag0t.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh finally, a question to Wayne.

EDIT: Dear oh dear, he's embarrassing himself. He clearly has no idea what he is talking about.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
Oh finally, a question to Wayne.

EDIT: Dear oh dear, he's embarrassing himself. He clearly has no idea what he is talking about.
I'm waiting for them to pull of that laffer curve or some equal BS.

Comrade Ari

Banned
HSC
N/A
Please do not insult the peoples Treasury leader Comrade Swan, Comrade Mount.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Goddamn parliament is childish. imo everyone needs to have electric shock collars and the speaker has the buttons controlling them.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
Wayne Swan's performance today was excruciating. NAIRU is taught in year 12 economics for gods sake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)