• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Part Time Job and Senior Studies-am I doing too much? (1 Viewer)

ciaobella17

HSC
Currently I have a part time job at a local bakery however I feel as though I may be trying to tackle far too much considering I am supposedly a 'full time student'. I am working 37 hours a month currently-which I have just realised is an awful lot. I also do a number of other activities during the week such as: tennis, trumpet, guitar and Venturers. I found at times last term I was really struggling to keep up with school work and still hang out with my friends. Mum isn't very happy with me considering quitting my job. Am I doing too much?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
How are you finding the workload at this point in time?

ciaobella17

HSC
How are you finding the workload at this point in time?
At times I struggle a lot-especially around times when I have a lot of assessments... I don't get to see very much of my friends outside of school either due to me spending my weekends (when I'm not working) catching up/making study notes/assessments etc.

jnney

lemon
HSC
You should probably temporarily put some of your activities to the side. I know that sucks, I know how you feel because that's what I've had to do, but in doing that, you'll realise that you will be able to focus without too much anxiety. You could also reduce your work hours. It's up to you, what you choose to put down.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Either reduce the hours on work significantly or leave altogether.

Ryan_T90

HSC
37 hours is an awful lot, especially with the several activities you mentioned. You definitely need to cut down those hours, or as slyhunter said, leave altogether.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're not coping, either reduce your work hours or cull one of your extracurricular activities like Venturers (P.S what is venturers?).

ciaobella17

HSC
If you're not coping, either reduce your work hours or cull one of your extracurricular activities like Venturers (P.S what is venturers?).
Venturers is a section within the Scouting movement for 15 yr olds to 18 yr olds

jnney

lemon
HSC
It's about time management. If you're feeling overwhelmed, it's time you do something about it. Because that stress is only going to pile up.

Hope you're well. :)

ciaobella17

HSC
Thanks everyone, I am going to talk to my boss about cutting down my hours and have a think about whether I'll give up my other activities-I have certainly been cutting back on them.

IfYouNeedLove

HSC
I work about 55 hours a month and I find the work load fine. I still find tonnes of time for friends and going out and I do get all of my homework done.

ciaobella17

HSC
Thanks guys,
I spoke to my boss, she has dropped my hours back from 37.5 to 22.5-a 15 hour difference every month and I'm cutting back some of my out of school activities and also school activities. Thanks everyone, for your advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)