• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Partial Selective High School - and HAST test materials (1 Viewer)

papayafruit

HSC
hey i hope ppl dont misinterpret what i said in this thread. i tried to be careful with my words but yeah

its tough to cope in a partially-selective school so if you have the option. move, but if not you can still do well. partially selective schools are not bottom of the barrel in terms of academic and social conditions, there are worse places to be but yeah
did you do hast btw

iloveeggs

HSC
did you do hast btw
yup but only in yr 7 2020, so my advice might be a bit outdated. also in when you are trying in y8 onwards it gets a bit more competitive as ive seen so i didn't try that hard for y7 entry, it just so happened i did better than most of the ppl that tried. sorry if that sunds cocky or smth but its honest. i basically just bought online hast preparation exams from a site called notesedu and spammed papers. when i had questions id use google. and writing came naturally to me pretty much but you can chatgpt some prompts ig

papayafruit

HSC
yup but only in yr 7 2020, so my advice might be a bit outdated. also in when you are trying in y8 onwards it gets a bit more competitive as ive seen so i didn't try that hard for y7 entry, it just so happened i did better than most of the ppl that tried. sorry if that sunds cocky or smth but its honest. i basically just bought online hast preparation exams from a site called notesedu and spammed papers. when i had questions id use google. and writing came naturally to me pretty much but you can chatgpt some prompts ig
yeah i see, anyways do u have an idea on when syd tech or girra results would come out?

iloveeggs

HSC
yeah i see, anyways do u have an idea on when syd tech or girra results would come out?
girras should finalise in october, at the latest november if they have waitlist issues or smth i reckon. i can't speak for syd tech bc idk anyone trying

in general tho schools like penrith and girra send out their rejections and waitlists before they send out offers from what i know, and they send those out at the end of term 3 at the absolute latest. by early term 4 for girra and a few weeks into term 4 for penrith is when they finalise offers. there are a few rare cases of a few people that are very high on the waitlist getting in in december after the orientation day but its unlikely.

papayafruit

HSC
girras should finalise in october, at the latest november if they have waitlist issues or smth i reckon. i can't speak for syd tech bc idk anyone trying

in general tho schools like penrith and girra send out their rejections and waitlists before they send out offers from what i know, and they send those out at the end of term 3 at the absolute latest. by early term 4 for girra and a few weeks into term 4 for penrith is when they finalise offers. there are a few rare cases of a few people that are very high on the waitlist getting in in december after the orientation day but its unlikely.
hm okay and do u have any idea abt baulko? its not HAST but its edutest pathway

iloveeggs

HSC
i think results came out around september in 22 and offers were finalised october

iloveeggs

HSC
but it really just depends on how their waitlist is doing and stuff ngl, sometimes ppl do get offers late in the year bc some people get in and reject or drop out of the waitlist but in september you'll have your results and promising candidates are interviewed

papayafruit

HSC
but it really just depends on how their waitlist is doing and stuff ngl, sometimes ppl do get offers late in the year bc some people get in and reject or drop out of the waitlist but in september you'll have your results and promising candidates are interviewed
ic ic

athh

HSC
N/A
Just adding my 2-cents as a student at a partially-selective school (unfortunately), if I could turn back time I would've never let my mother pressure me into going to a closer partially-selective school. Not sure how it is for others, but here the student cohort is unbearably and freakishly divided into two factions (like it's not that serious, we're all losers going to the same trashy high school) all the time. Not worth it. And education-wise, it's probably not worth it either. Go fully selective.
Can you please let me know more about that? What partially selective are you in? I though in selective classes (partially selective school), you will be surrounded by same minded student at least?

athh

HSC
N/A
What partially selective did you go? I live in Northshore so fully selective schools here are so competitive. I heard people mentioned Chatswood even better than a few other fully selective school, is that true? how's about Paramatta?

fesi2w3

If I don't get a 99+ it's over for everyone
HSC
Can you please let me know more about that? What partially selective are you in? I though in selective classes (partially selective school), you will be surrounded by same minded student at least?
It really just depends on the area, if you want same-minded students in a partially selective school then you should stay away from the more Western Sydney areas, because the weird one-sided animosity will be awkward since you'll be so different from each other. I believe I just got unlucky with the school I ended up in. For my school, 7-10 we were firmly split between selective and local stream, and merged for 11-12. 4 years of silently brushing shoulders with each other and teachers treating the selective stream comparably better doesn't exactly create friendship and sunshine, and you can't avoid each other forever. It's not like my high school is horrible or anything (I'll do perfectly fine in my HSC regardless, so the education isn't bad) but the environment is just sort of unpleasant at times.

Last edited:

iloveeggs

HSC
What partially selective did you go? I live in Northshore so fully selective schools here are so competitive. I heard people mentioned Chatswood even better than a few other fully selective school, is that true? how's about Paramatta?
i went to blacktown girls

yeah i wont deny some partially selective schools can be better than fully selective schools in some regard, and the same goes for non-selective and private schools (some private schools actually rival selective schools, there are many kids there that can easily make selective but just don't try)

but as a general statement fully selective schools generally have superior hsc results to just any school youd pick out of the partially selective schools. and thats just simply bc the environment, the resources and support you get there is often better. selective schools are like factories that do what they need to to produce the best results possible. for example ik for a fact that baulko has some sort of an affiliation with a company that helps you train to get into undergrad medicine and their students get lectures about it. there is a push for kids to succeed in selective schools that you wont see in just any school. also fun fact selective schools like mine stopped offering standard eng or maths and other subjects that scale badly unless there have been people that have state raked in the past. and to get access to standard subjects we are forced to do distance ed which is a hassle for most.

yeah chatswood is a good school but thats probably because they mimic the type of environment thats in a selective school. i wouldnt say they are better than a fully selective school per se. even if they are ranked high for a partially selective they dont compare to a selective school in terms of envrionment. for starters fully selective schools aren't that overpopulated and often get more govt funding allowing for the school being able to afford better resources for all of the kids there

they have a selective cohort of 60 ppl which is a lot larger than a lot of partially selective schools that typically only have 1 selective class, and they also have an additional gifted and talented program. in 2023 they had 120 unique band 6/e4 students based on the honour roll and by this you can sort of assume that their selective and gifted and talented students made up a big portion of the ppl that got band 6s bc they got.

also just for comparison i took a few stats for chatswood and my current school (top 50 ranked selective school). im not gonna put any identifiable info about my school out there so ppl dont figure out who i am like they have before lolll but ill give rough numbers. if you know pls just dont say it

chatswood has 1829 students overall and my school has roughly 900 students (pretty standard for a selective school in sydney). since my school has like 160 students in y12 im assuming chatswood has around 300 y12s just as a rough guess. number of individual band 6s and e4s for chatswood is 295 and unique band 6/e4 scorers is 120. my schools band 6 number is a bit above that with close to 150 unique band 6 scorers. what that really says is that about half of the kids at chatswood get at least 1 band 6 (maybe more that that) while everyone except like 10 people get at least 1 band 6 in my school. this means that in general our average atar is much higher than chatswoods

i think chatswood is still a good school though, thy are clearly doing something right. it also goes to show how you can still do well in a partially selective school as an individual (aka. selective doesnt mean smart, but selective schools provide space for hardworking students that are kind of smart to thrive), but only if your school is already decent like chatswood is.

the reason being is that when you go to a school that generally ranks lower it shows a lack of resources and effort being put into the students there or a lack of effort of the students themselves and therefore its just harder to band 6. you dont see the same level of success in schools like parramatta despite having having a similar number of selective students there bc their environment is not very academically oriented. parramatta is not even the worst of the worst tho blacktown girls is soo much worse

iloveeggs

HSC
It really just depends on the area, if you want same-minded students in a partially selective school then you should stay away from the povo/eshay-spawning areas, because that's who'll be in your local stream and the weird one-sided animosity will be awkward since you'll be so different from each other. I believe I just got unlucky with the school I ended up in. For my school, 7-10 we were firmly split between selective and local stream, and merged for 11-12. 4 years of silently brushing shoulders with each other and teachers treating the selective stream comparably better doesn't exactly create friendship and sunshine, and you can't avoid each other forever. It's not like my high school is horrible or anything (I'll do perfectly fine in my HSC regardless, so the education isn't bad) but the environment is just sort of unpleasant at times.
while i wouldnt call them povo or eshay, as you travel further into western sydney the schools get worse and worse in terms of academics and behaviour in terms of the local intake.

and yes i actually saw the same animosity between selective and non-selective students in bghs.

athh

HSC
N/A
while i wouldnt call them povo or eshay, as you travel further into western sydney the schools get worse and worse in terms of academics and behaviour in terms of the local intake.

and yes i actually saw the same animosity between selective and non-selective students in bghs.
Really love the way you and fesi2w4 support with the info. Thanks for that. Is there any source to see how many students that each selective school will get from y8-12? I tried to look up online on their website but no historical data.

HSC
Really love the way you and fesi2w4 support with the info. Thanks for that. Is there any source to see how many students that each selective school will get from y8-12? I tried to look up online on their website but no historical data.
I think the best way to know is simply asking around from people who go to those schools. The 8-11 Selective result discussion thread is a good place to start.

iloveeggs

HSC
the y8-11 intake for selective schools isn't always put out bc a lot of them depend on people leaving the school and stuff so the school themselves dont typically know. i think a few schools actually tell you during the application process and some schools have it on their website in the y8-11 enrolment section. try asking ppl going to those schools as well. otherwise we just dont know unfortunately

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)