Particle accelerators (1 Viewer)

ebbygoo

HSC
Hi guys.

I have studied the linear accelerator for the dot point;
Identify ways by which physicists continue to develop their understanding of matter, using accelerators as a probe to investigate the structure of matter

I have asked my teacher whether we need to know all three types, and he told me we only need to know one of the three in detail; is this true?

Also, can someone please explain simply how the cyclotron works cause I dont get it at the moment.

Thanks.

emilios

HSC
wtf you did this in march?

i would also like to know btw.

YoloStudent

HSC
N/A
You want band 6, learn all three in detail.
Band 5? One in detail.
I usually learn everything anyway and I think it is much better. Up to you though.

You can understand cyclotrons if you understand that charged particles in motion under the influence of a magnetic field experiences a force that causes them to undergo a circular motion. If you don't, research on it or you can ask me about it and I'll do my best to explain. If you do, read on.

Cyclotrons utilise the principle that charged particles under the influence of a magnetic field experiences a force perpendicular to their motion, which you can say is the "centripetal force" that allows the particle to undergo a circular motion. I could explain this easier with a diagram but I don't want to add it here because HSCeebs.

The entire cyclotron is in a constant magnetic field so the charged particle always undergoes a circular motion.

A cell/power source is connected to one half of the cyclotron and the other half so that there is an electric field at the centre and is set up in such a way so that the charged particle accelerates the particle each time it passes through the central half region. Each time this happens, the radius of the circular motion increases until it reaches the correct velocity so that it exits the cyclotron and strikes the target particle.

You should refer to a diagram when your reading this. If there's any discrepancy in anything I say, let me know. If you don't understand, you can ask.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)