Passport (1 Viewer)

Miffstaa

HSC
I'm going overseas in December and being the total ditz that I am, I forgot that my passport had expired. So I went to the Post office etc. to get an application and as i was completing it, I knew that I had to get find my birth certificate.
Well....I havent found it yet. ive looked everywhere, destructed the whole house but it seriously seems to have disappeared- even after i knew that the last time i used it was to get a license.
So i was wondering what to do now?
Could i go to the immigration office and get them to translate my original one?

This is shit.

spence

HSC
Do you need a birth certificate? I thought you could just use an old passport instead

HSC
Depends when your passport expired. If it expired before 2005, then you're toast.

Um, you'll need proof of Australian citizenship if you weren't born in Australia. I.E the Citizenship certificate. That's all you need if you weren't born here.

If you were born here you need about 50,000,000,000,000 documents to prove you're Australian. Which is peachy.

Miffstaa

HSC
Nah i think that my passport expired at around mid year 2007? But if i just have to give in my Aust. Citizenship Certificate Number how come its asking me to do both. I wish there was this box you could just tick saying that you lost it.
Whats even worse is that I have four months until I am 18, meaning that as soon as that happens I have to chuck away my new passport and fill in a new app. for the adult one.

If you were born here you need about 50,000,000,000,000 documents to prove you're Australian. Which is peachy.
Are you serious? How the hell does that work?

HSC
No you don't have to chuck away your new passport if you're an adult. The Child one lasts 5 years. You have to get an Adult one when the child one expires.

Yeah I needed

A) original of my birth certificate
b) original of mother's birth certificate
c) original of father's birth certificate

heaps of other random ID shit, student cards, Driver's license... heccers.

spence

HSC
Are you allowed to get an adult one if you're 17? If so, then do that, cause they last twice as long, save you the hassle in 5 years time

Miffstaa

HSC
spence said:
Are you allowed to get an adult one if you're 17? If so, then do that, cause they last twice as long, save you the hassle in 5 years time
Mid life crisis woman who was being a bitch at the post office said that "under no circumstances was I able to get an adult passport". So I guess that you have to wait till you're 18 to get an adult passport- that wouldve been such a better alternative.

rozymisty

HSC
u complete a renewal form and put ur old passport number and prob show that.

or go to births deaths and marrages office and give them id and tell them u need ur birth cert asap to get ur ppassport renewed asap. They will normally give you a copy on the spot or in a few hours as long as you havent changed your name.

Not sure how it goes if you were a child when you got your passport but just ring up the passport office if you have any problems

spence

HSC
Miffstaa said:
Mid life crisis woman who was being a bitch at the post office said that "under no circumstances was I able to get an adult passport". So I guess that you have to wait till you're 18 to get an adult passport- that wouldve been such a better alternative.
That sucks. This reminds me, I need to get a new one soon. So annoying, I had it for like 6 months, but it got so badly damaged I need a new one

*Minka*

HSC
Miffstaa said:
They said the same to me a couple of years ago after I got Australian citizenship so I had to have a child passport for about four months. I could have easily travelled on my Croatian or Serbian passport if not for the rule that you HAVE to use your Australian passport when coming back into the country.

Peartie

HSC
do you?

ive never heard of that rule...I know someone who came into the country using their european passport because the line was shorter and they got through faster.....or was that illegal?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Got my passport this week.
Basically had to go to the office of Births Deaths & Marriages and get an original of my birth certificate & my mother's birth certificate. Cost around $50-60 each to get same day service.
Then I realised I'd lost my old passport which expired in '06... Now it should have cost me $104 for my passport, but the combination of the lost fee and the priority processing fee with that made it $250.
ANYWAY... Now I have my passport :D
OP: go to the office of BDM, and if you can, lodge your application at the DFAT Passport office near Central Station (Lee Street).

Peartie

HSC
it doesn't come in the mail...you need to fill in a form (available at post offices) if you're getting a new passport, lost your old one or your old one expired more than 12 months ago

otherwise fill out the online thing at the site above

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)