Past HSC papers (pre 1995) (1 Viewer)

billym

HSC
Hi guys

Does anyone know where one could obtain past Extension 2 papers from before 1995?

I know that Board of Studies site has papers from 1995 - 2012 but haven't had any luck finding earlier papers online.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Go to the resources section on this site! It has 1984 - 1997 or something (SORTED TOPIC-BY-TOPIC)

OR

Google it :)

http://4unitmaths.com/4u_1990-1994.pdf

U wont need answers, just work on hard problems in these 4 papers (proving ones or show that A = B)

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
Of those 4 links, only 2 are particularly useful. The current syllabus began in 1981. Before that there are a handful of useful questions, but generally the content is very different to that of the current syllabus.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
No. Current syllabus began in 1990. It says on the second page "For implementation for Year 12 in 1990.":
Perhaps you should have pasted the entire quote.

Syllabus approved by the Board of Senior School Studies in February 1980, with amendments approved by the Board of Secondary Education in October 1989. For implementation for Year 12 in 1990.

Those of us who have taught with both versions of the syllabus know that these 'amendments' were merely clarifications. The previous syllabus document was only 2 or 3 pages long, and this new syllabus document (not new syllabus) explained the content in much more detail. But there were NO changes to the content.

And despite what the second page says, the document didn't make it out to schools until 1991. Many teachers weren't even aware of its existence for another 12 months - there was no big deal made as would be the case with a new syllabus.

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
4usyllabus2.pdf is 13 pages long and didn't include harder 3unit or graphs. They were added in 1989.

At least we agree that the 1981-1994 papers are useful. But a closer look at the current syllabus would reveal that it uses examples from past papers from the 1970's.

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
4usyllabus2.pdf is 13 pages long and didn't include harder 3unit or graphs. They were added in 1989.

At least we agree that the 1981-1994 papers are useful. But a closer look at the current syllabus would reveal that it uses examples from past papers from the 1970's.
OK, I'll concede on the Graphs, but not the Harder 3 unit. Harder 3 unit has been tested every year since 1981. Even though I don't have access to the old syllabus document, I recall my teacher telling us to expect harder 3 unit questions when I did my HSC in 1982.

BTW are these posting times correct? I'm sure I had left home by 8:42 this morning, considering school starts at 8:50.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Well that definitely mentions the harder 3 unit. It seems that the only new material is graphs of powers and roots, and graphs of composite functions. But they were really in the course back then, its just that there were no rules to memorise - you had to do the calculus. So the expanded graphs topic has really simplified the work by providing a set of standard graphs to learn. And of course the style of question has changed.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Thanks. I had the 3 unit papers but not the 2 unit before '85.
It seems that the old 2 unit papers had almost nothing in them. For example, how would you allocate 10 marks to the last question of the '67 paper?

stupid_girl

HSC
N/A

It seems harder 3U and graphs are covered in Part IA and IB respectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)