Past HSC Q8. (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Hey guys, this is a question I just did from a past HSC paper. I'm looking at the last part of the question ( the 2<sup>1-n</sup> bit) in particular but I've written up the rest of it as a lead in. I got the answer by extrapolating the pattern, factorising and summing but the way the answer looks I swear there must be some kind of simple elegant solution to it :p. Anyhow, if you have the time, give it a go at it and let me know if you can find a simple way to do the last part. Here it is:

"Eight players enter a knock-out singles tennis tournament in which each of the first four round winners plays one second round game to decide who enters the final.

Assuming that all players are equally likely to win a game, show that the probability that two particular entrants play each other in the tournament is <sup>1</sup>/<sub>4</sub>

Also show that if sixteen persons enter the tournament, then the probability that two players meet is <sup>1</sup>/<sub>8</sub>

Prove that for a similar knock-out tournament for 2<sup>n</sup> players, that the probability that two players meet is 2<sup>1-n</sup>"

Last edited:

damo676767

HSC
i got it out

number of matches over number of pairs

=(2^n -1 ) / (2^n)C2

=2(2^n -1)(2^n -2)!/2^n!

=2(2^n -1)(2^n -2)!/ 2^n (2^n -1) (2^n - 2)!

=2/2^n

=2^(1-n)

Last edited:

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
damo676767 said:
i got it out

number of matches over number of pairs

=(2^n -1 ) / (2^n)C2

=2(2^n -1)(2^n -2)!/2^n!

=2(2^n -1)(2^n -2)!/ 2^n (2^n -1) (2^n - 2)!

=2/2^n

=2^(1-n)
Good work. Care to explain your reasoning?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Interesting, I'd like to know your reasoning as well. For example, how does <sup>(2<sup>n</sup>)</sup>C<sub>2</sub> represent the 'number of pairs'?

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
isn't that from like 1982 hsc... wow so old more than 20 yrs

didnt they make 4unit easier after that year.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
If you use that formula for the first one, you get 1/7. Coincidentally, you also get this if you find the probability of playing a particular player in the FIRST round. ie. 7 other people, P(playng 1 particular)= 1/7.

So yea, reasoning please. ;)

damo676767

HSC
KFunk said:
Interesting, I'd like to know your reasoning as well. For example, how does <sup>(2<sup>n</sup>)</sup>C<sub>2</sub> represent the 'number of pairs'?

ok, i assume every body gets my working, its just my reasoning

first of all there are 2^n people, and everybody bar 1 gets knocked out. There for there will be 2^n - 1 people knocked out, THat meens there are 2^n - 1 matches.

as for total number of pairs

<sup>X</sup>C<sub>Y</sub>

meens how many ways can X things be aragned into groups of Y
(of course it meens many other things too)

x = 2^n as there are that many people

y = 2 as they are pared

Sepulchres said:
If you use that formula for the first one, you get 1/7. Coincidentally, you also get this if you find the probability of playing a particular player in the FIRST round. ie. 7 other people, P(playng 1 particular)= 1/7.

So yea, reasoning please. ;)

the formula i ended up with is

p=2^(1-n)

in the first circum stance there are 8 people

8=2^n
n=3

p=2^(1-3)
= 1/8

any other questions

Last edited:

Ogden_Nash

HSC
That's a really nice method damo but KFunk, there's nothing wrong with yours. In fact, judging by the first two parts to the question, it's probably the way they wanted you to approach it. It's not that messy either, considering it's a Q8.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
damo676767 said:
any other questions
Just one :p.

damo676767 said:
as for total number of pairs

<sup>X</sup>C<sub>Y</sub>

meens how many ways can X things be aragned into groups of Y
(of course it meens many other things too)
<sup>X</sup>C<sub>Y</sub> is the number of size-y subsets of a size-x set (more or less) so then <sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub> represents the number of unique pairings that can be made from 2<sup>n</sup> people. What I still don't understand is why dividing the number of individual matches by the number of unique pairings yields the probability of two particular people versing each other in a match.

damo676767

HSC
KFunk said:
Just one :p.

<sup>X</sup>C<sub>Y</sub> is the number of size-y subsets of a size-x set (more or less) so then <sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub> represents the number of unique pairings that can be made from 2<sup>n</sup> people. What I still don't understand is why dividing the number of individual matches by the number of unique pairings yields the probability of two particular people versing each other in a match.

ok lets simplify it, i am rolling a die

there is 1 way for me to get a 5

there are 6 posible way

there for the probability of me getting a 5 is 1/6

it is the same thing

the number of matches = the number of people that are paired against each other

which is the amount of possible ways that it can come true

and the amount of possible pares is <sup>(2^n)</sup>C<sub>2</sub>

do you understand that?

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
damo676767 said:
the number of matches = the number of people that are paired against each other

which is the amount of possible ways that it can come true

and the amount of possible pares is <sup>(2^n)</sup>C<sub>2</sub>

do you understand that?
I'm afraid not. I don't think my brain is made to understand your logic. Part of it is that I'm not sure what you're refering to with all thes things. The number of people paired against each other is 2^n, but becomes 2^(n-1) in round two and so on... Saying that the number of matches (2^n - 1) is equal to something which is variable depending on what you refer to (and never seems to equal it) doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
I think I'm slowly getting it...

KFunk said:
I'm afraid not. I don't think my brain is made to understand your logic. Part of it is that I'm not sure what you're refering to with all thes things. The number of people paired against each other is 2^n, but becomes 2^(n-1) in round two and so on... Saying that the number of matches (2^n - 1) is equal to something which is variable depending on what you refer to (and never seems to equal it) doesn't make sense to me.
[(2^n) -1] is the total number of matches played in a tournament. Ie. In the first tournament with 8 people, 4 are played in the first, 2 in the second plus the final =7 games in total.

2^nC2 is the total number of unique pairs possible.

So, the number of pairings which _actually_ occur in the tournament over the total _possible_ number of pairs in the tournament is how he worked it out.

However, I think that P(win)= 1/2 has a significance in this question and would be needed to work it out otherwise, esp as it can be written at 2^-1?

I dont know, this is quite confusing.

Last edited:

damo676767

HSC
KFunk said:
I'm afraid not. I don't think my brain is made to understand your logic.

ok then
back to basics

the way that probibility works is the amount of ways that it will be true over the amount of ways it can happen

eg
flipping a coin getting heads
1(only 1 head)/2(only 2 things that can happen, heads or tails)

rolling a die getting less than 3
2(can only be 1 or 2)/6(it could be 6 posible numbers, 1-6)
1/3

so if we are both playing in the tennis tournament with 2<sup>n</sup> people

the answer is

the amount of chances we have of being pared together / the total amount of pairs

the amount of chances we have of being parded together is the number of matches.

so how many matches are there going to be

well everybody bar 1 losses a match, when you lose yo are out. there are 2<sup>n</sup> people therfore there are 2<sup>n</sup> - 1 matches

there fore the amount of chances we have of being pared together = 2<sup>n</sup> - 1

but this could be and of the pairs, so to make sure it is us we must devide it by the total amount of pairs it could be

the total amount of pairs is <sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub>

is that clearer or did i just say the same thing

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
damo676767 said:
the total amount of pairs is <sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub>
This is my main hang up
<sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub> = 2<sup>n-1</sup>(2<sup>n</sup> - 1)

In the first round you have 2<sup>n-1</sup> pairs, then 2<sup>n-2</sup> in the next and so on until you have 1 pair in the last round. If you sum these you get (2<sup>n</sup> - 1), i.e. the total number of pairs formed during the tournament is the same as the number of individual matches (which you can deduce logically as well). But this number &ne; <sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub>. What are you representing with <sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub> and how did you arrive at it?

Last edited:

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
KFunk said:
This is my main hang up

In the first round you have 2<sup>n-1</sup> pairs, then 2<sup>n-2</sup> in the next and so on until you have 1 pair in the last round. If you sum these you get (2<sup>n</sup> - 1), i.e. the total number of pairs formed during the tournament is the same as the number of individual matches (which you can deduce logically as well). But this number &ne; <sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub>. What are you representing with <sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub> and how did you arrive at it?
Yea, its cause the number of pairs that ARE actually formed during the tournament is [(2^n) -1]. Conversely, (2^n)C2 corresponds to the number of POSSIBLE pairs, not how many ARE actually formed during the tournament. Knaw mean.

damo676767

HSC
KFunk said:
This is my main hang up

i dont think you understand

2<sup>n</sup> - 1 is the amount of pairs that actually happen

<sup>2<sup>n</sup></sup>C<sub>2</sub> is the total amount of ways that they can be paired up. but not all of them will play each other.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It's clicking into place, thanks for bearing with me :p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)