Pathway Suggestions (1 Viewer)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm currently sitting the HSC this year and am keen on getting into medicine as an undergraduate. However, I'm not too sure if I can make it in directly due to not meeting the cut-offs and so I was looking into other degrees as a back-up. So I was wondering if anybody thinks Psychology is a good degree as a pathway considering I want to eventually pursue Medicine, or if there are any others you would recommend? All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks everyone! :)

Silly Sausage

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm currently sitting the HSC this year and am keen on getting into medicine as an undergraduate. However, I'm not too sure if I can make it in directly due to not meeting the cut-offs and so I was looking into other degrees as a back-up. So I was wondering if anybody thinks Psychology is a good degree as a pathway considering I want to eventually pursue Medicine, or if there are any others you would recommend? All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks everyone! :)
Don't do psychology as a major if you want to enter medicine.

I'd also suggest taking a science degree majoring or double majoring in a biological field over medical science due to more freedom for electives.

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC
Don't do psychology as a major if you want to enter medicine.

I'd also suggest taking a science degree majoring or double majoring in a biological field over medical science due to more freedom for electives.

The reason I thought a Bachelor of Psychology would be better than science is because the job type/prospects in my opinion are better if I cannot transfer into medicine. Also, a degree in psychology would assist in the GAMSAT. But I was hoping if someone could confirm this from experience or knowledge in this area.

Thanks everyone :)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
The reason I thought a Bachelor of Psychology would be better than science is because the job type/prospects in my opinion are better if I cannot transfer into medicine. Also, a degree in psychology would assist in the GAMSAT. But I was hoping if someone could confirm this from experience or knowledge in this area.

I think its a good idea to hedge your bets, but I think the logic behind picking a science (and I might be wrong) is that you can transfer credit over so you don't have to start med from scratch.

not sure though lele

Silly Sausage

HSC

What kinda of jobs are you expecting from a undergraduate psychology degree (unless you going for a Masters degree)? Also, picking up a science major with a focus in the biological (such as anatomy) department would offer much better preparation for your GAMSAT since you have the option of study a wide range of science subjects including psychology.

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC
What kinda of jobs are you expecting from a undergraduate psychology degree (unless you going for a Masters degree)? Also, picking up a science major with a focus in the biological (such as anatomy) department would offer much better preparation for your GAMSAT since you have the option of study a wide range of science subjects including psychology.
Thanks for your reply, I see what you mean. So were you referring to the Advanced Science Degree as a good pathway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)