Pathway to humanitarian law ? (1 Viewer)

asdwasdw

HSC
hi i am very interested in pursuing a career in humanitarian law however im not quite sure which path will get me there.

Right now i'm considering international studies combined with law but i'm not yet sure if that will allow me to do humanitarian law.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Postgraduate LLM in International Law. Throw in an undergraduate exchange to a European university. Expect to be disappointed, that's a narrow path.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Incredibly narrow path with exceptionally low income earning capacity as well. Basically you have to just volunteer free work at community legal centres until you might get lucky enough to score an unpaid internship with the UN or the AHRC in your last year and then you might have a job afterwards.

Undergrad degree is just a formality, LLM is what you'll most likely need + shitdickload of extra-curriculars with model UN societies and overseas competitions like that.

The most successful lawyers in humanitarian law start off as barristers and judges though, in criminal law or commercial.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Off the top of my head your options include:

- UN grad program (can be a little variable because they only recruit from certain member countries each year).
- Army (there is a potential to gain experience in international law, it really depends though. Army is the best option though, Air Force and Navy you're more likely to get stuck in horrible procurement jobs).
- If you've got European citizenship you can try for some work with an EU government body.
- Volunteer work hoping to move into permanency at NGOs like the ASRC.
- Public service grad program at either AG's or HRC.
- Work as an academic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)