Pathways into dentistry that don't require UCAT? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Does anyone know the process of transferring into dentistry in your 2nd year of uni or any other pathways into dentistry?

I didn't sit the UCAT this year because I was set on a different degree but I've changed my mind now and I realise how badly I may have screwed up bc the GAMSAT is apparently harder than the UCAT !! woohoo :')

quickoats

HSC
If you do bio and chem, la trobe uni has no ucat.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
usyd doesn't require ucat however you need minimum 99 atar (with E12). so you haven't screwed up at all by not sitting the ucat, you can get into dentistry straight from yr12 but the atar expectations are relatively high, still very achievable soo good luck : )) highkey glad usyd and a couple other uni's don't care abt ucat bcs I would have been screwed if they did

Vaibhav123456

HSC
For Usyd if you get the required atar and do well in the interview/assessment to get into the double degree Bachelor of science/Doctor of dental medicine, you wont have to do any other test (no ucat or gamsat).

HSC
thanks guys! what i've gathered is that basically i can't get into anything direct (in 2022) other than UQ or maybe la trobe and JCU because my atar is probably going to be around 95-98. so my best chances are to pick a course for now, do well in it, do the gamsat and see if i still want to transfer into dentistry in my second year of uni and then i have a shot to go to usyd or uni of melb ! i was also thinking of taking a gap year to do the ucat next year but i dont think thats a viable option for me bc of personal circumstances.

does anyone know what degrees i should pick for a better chance of transferring? obviously i wont pick a degree just for the sake of transferring in the future but it would be nice to know if what i have in mind sounds good. im thinking of doing diagnostic radiography or pharmacy (both are at usyd) or MAYBE nursing (usyd) or optometry (unsw).

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
La Trobe and UQ are 99+ lol
Gamsat is postgrad which isn’t a transfer after first year. You finish and graduate a bachelor degree then enter a postgrad dental degree.

HSC
La Trobe and UQ are 99+ lol
yep! i'm hoping i can get a 99+ selection rank with adjustment factors since la trobe was 99.05 and uq was 99 in 2020 ^^"

whoops edit i replied too quickly, to gamsat: i misunderstood postgrad completely LOL my bad but looks like im relying on adjustment factors this year :p

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
does anyone know what degrees i should pick for a better chance of transferring? obviously i wont pick a degree just for the sake of transferring in the future but it would be nice to know if what i have in mind sounds good. im thinking of doing diagnostic radiography or pharmacy (both are at usyd) or MAYBE nursing (usyd) or optometry (unsw).
no degree is gonna give you a better chance of making it, you can do a law or arts undergrad and still get into postgrad med/dent. but the ones you have in mind are great, important thing is to maintain a certain GPA (usually high) in whatever degree you choose to do** and obviously do well in GAMSAT

Epicman69

HSC
yep! i'm hoping i can get a 99+ selection rank with adjustment factors since la trobe was 99.05 and uq was 99 in 2020 ^^"
Just asking, are you a rural applicant cause I'm pretty sure those "lowest selection ranks" are given out to rural applicants or people with SEAS or something, rather if you are a local applicant, the atar required will probably be 99~

quickoats

HSC

whoops edit i replied too quickly, to gamsat: i misunderstood postgrad completely LOL my bad but looks like im relying on adjustment factors this year :p
Note that Victorian adjustment points work a little bit differently to NSW ones. They adjust *proportionally* to the ATAR (which is much fairer IMO).
5 bonus points would shift an 80-83, 95-96.3, 99-99.45 so it’s unlikely that you’ll scoop enough at la trobe.

idkkdi

HSC
Note that Victorian adjustment points work a little bit differently to NSW ones. They adjust *proportionally* to the ATAR (which is much fairer IMO).
5 bonus points would shift an 80-83, 95-96.3, 99-99.45 so it’s unlikely that you’ll scoop enough at la trobe.
??? what ?
they adjust your atar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)