pathways to becoming a civil engineer (1 Viewer)

im_juz_ChiLLiN

HSC
i just got my atar and i cant get into uni, is there any tafe course that can help me get into uni for civil engineering

KD

HSC
N/A
From UNSW Eng site (most unis will be similar - do your research):

"If you do not possess any of the qualifications outlined in the Entry Requirements, there are a number of alternative avenues through which you may seek admission to an undergraduate program at UNSW. These include:
UNSW University Preparation Program (UPP) - local students only
Foundation Year in UNSW or other Group of Eight university.
Limited ATAR
TAFE Certificate in Tertiary Preparation (TPC)"
http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/information-for/future-students/high-school-students/admission

Also consider something like surveying. Plenty of jobs and not many people studying it (easier to get in). Can do at TAFE and then Uni.
Example:
http://tv.unsw.edu.au/video/gavin-watson-surveying-and-spatial-information-systems-ssis1

Last edited:

im_juz_ChiLLiN

HSC
what if i study B Engineering or B Engineering Science with a major in civil could that work

KD

HSC
N/A
From UNSW Site:

Transfer from TAFE or a professional college:

By completing an Advanced Diploma, Diploma or Certificate IV (accredited by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)), you can be considered for admission to UNSW. You will need to submit your application through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).

Due to the high demand for places in most degrees, entry via this route is very competitive. Successful applicants generally require a minimum credit average with no failures. Trade certificates are not considered unless awarded at Cert IV level or higher.
http://www.unsw.edu.au/domestic-undergraduate/our-entry-requirements#tab-82

D94

HSC
N/A
what if i study B Engineering or B Engineering Science with a major in civil could that work
unfortunately at uws
i dont know if any othe uni's have the course
No, it's not on the list of accredited professional engineering programs by Engineers' Australia. It may be a initial pathway into an accredited program, but you can't become a Civil Engineer with that degree.

im_juz_ChiLLiN

HSC
r u sure because my family friend studied at uws a couple of years ago and became a civil engineer or do you think they changed the course

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
r u sure because my family friend studied at uws a couple of years ago and became a civil engineer or do you think they changed the course
B Engineering at UWS is an accredited course, but B Engineering Science is not as it's pretty much only the first 3 years. UTS also offer B Engineering Science with the same deal.

D94

HSC
N/A
B Engineering, yes; B Engineering Science, no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)