payrate in tutoring centres (1 Viewer)

mojako

HSC
hi guys...
if you work in one of those tutoring centres (prior, north shore, pre-uni etc), how much do u get paid?
does it depend on subject, experience or just on your age?
is it the same on weekends?

is it easy to get in?

thanks.

mojako

HSC
isnt that one even more wrong? I thought it's for ppl (students) to get advice whether or not to go to particular tutors / centres.

I was thinking whether this should be in the Employment section but nobody posts tutoring job there lol

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i thought the other forum is more suited for this topic because that forum discusses tutoring colleges and stuff like that, hence your question. but i mean, its upto you.

mojako

HSC
i guess i'll post there as well.. no answer here so far... but well hsc is just over and probably not many ppl actually visit this forum

the mod can delete this one if he/she wants to.

spoon3er

HSC
N/A
mojako said:
hi guys...
if you work in one of those tutoring centres (prior, north shore, pre-uni etc), how much do u get paid?
does it depend on subject, experience or just on your age?
is it the same on weekends?

is it easy to get in?

thanks.
i work at prior...

getting in isn't as easy as what ppl often think - firstly, u have to sit an exam for each subject u want to tutor - bad news is, they're usually 3 hours long EACH! i think you need to get at least 70 to 75% to get a demonstration, which essentially involves u helping 2 'students' (i.e. tutors or teachers already working at prior) solve problems, and they often ask you really dumb questions to see how well u explain basic concepts

in terms of pay, for a TUTOR (i.e. no teaching involved) - starting rate is $15/hr. once the first 3 months is up, this goes up to $21/hr, with an additional $2/hr each yr u're there for.

after u've been working at the place for a significant amount of time (usually > 1 yr) u may get approached to apply for a teaching position. and this would involve more demonstrations as well as additional training (which u get paid for :) ). i think the starting rate for teaching is approx $33/hr, but i think this goes up to $40/hr after the trial period (1st 3 months). in a nutshell, teaching pays a shitload at prior

mojako

HSC
spoon3er said:
i work at prior...

getting in isn't as easy as what ppl often think - firstly, u have to sit an exam for each subject u want to tutor - bad news is, they're usually 3 hours long EACH! i think you need to get at least 70 to 75% to get a demonstration, which essentially involves u helping 2 'students' (i.e. tutors or teachers already working at prior) solve problems, and they often ask you really dumb questions to see how well u explain basic concepts

in terms of pay, for a TUTOR (i.e. no teaching involved) - starting rate is $15/hr. once the first 3 months is up, this goes up to $21/hr, with an additional $2/hr each yr u're there for.

after u've been working at the place for a significant amount of time (usually > 1 yr) u may get approached to apply for a teaching position. and this would involve more demonstrations as well as additional training (which u get paid for :) ). i think the starting rate for teaching is approx $33/hr, but i think this goes up to $40/hr after the trial period (1st 3 months). in a nutshell, teaching pays a shitload at prior
good news.. now i just have to get in :p
how many hrs do u work per week? do u usually work on the weekends?

about this 3hr test.. is it basically like the hsc exam?

do u happen to know the rates at north shore & pre-uni?

thanks.

spoon3er

HSC
N/A
i only work on the weekends... mebbe just over 10 hrs each week? my uni timetable won't allow me a part-time job during the week, adn you pretty much stick to your same weekly shifts. btw, pay on the weekends is no different to pay during the week (which kinda sucks cos you can make more per hour working at mcdonald's on a sunday, when you get 1.5 x normal pay, lol)

um... i've got no idea about pre-uni, but i have a friend working at north shore (teaching, that is) and she gets over $30/hr... possibly close to $40/hr even. She, a med student, was complaining about the fact that some engineering students were being paid more than her (she didn't know why, but they were!). I only believe teaching jobs exist at north shore, tho

anyway, hope this helps! And good luck!

spoon3er

HSC
N/A
ahhh... and about the 3-hour exams

ok, if u're looking to tutor maths up to ext 2 level, then u will sit an exam with all types of maths questions ranging from yr 10 level up to hsc ext 2 level. same goes for chemistry and physics (hang on, no yr 10 science included here - only prelim + hsc stuff)

i'm actually not sure what happens if you want to tutor for english... when i applied for a job, i'd left hsc english work so far behind me that i didn't even think of tutoring for english! however, it's apparently very easy work, as i was told - most of the tutors said they didn't even need to look over their hsc work (which i DEFINITELY had to do for the maths and sciences). i don't even think u have to sit an exam for english, but u would definitely need to attend an interview where u would be required to discuss and critically analyse texts/concepts

mojako

HSC
if i do apply, i'll apply for maths... cant be bothered memorising all this sci stuff.. and i didnt even get band 6 in english lol

maybe those eng students have been there for longer period?

mm when u said tutors (not teachers), did u mean the ppl who mark homework and dont actually talk to the students?
do they get to write comments / tips on the paper?

the students a prior r not all smart, right? esp in the maths ext 1 & 2 classes. coz ive heard prior is like the elite tutoring place with many smart ppl. if they're all smart i wont try to tutor ext2

mojako

HSC
so prior & north shore pay roughly the same for teachers... now.. prior charges the students a lot more than north shore... i wonder where the money goes..............
does prior have smaller class sizes?

spoon3er

HSC
N/A
personally, if i were a high school student (all over again), i'd go to prior - it has a much better system than north shore and i think apart from knowing the meaning of 'quality control,' prior actually practices it - i.e. it's not enough for them just to look at ur marks, u've got to go through this rigorous application process if u want to work there. also, u get assessed maybe once a year and feedback is provided to help u with improving the way u tutor/teach

the prior system goes like this: the student attends a weekly class, which is taught by a teacher. i think there are either 1 or 2 classes for the same subject each week, depending on the number of people enrolled. I don't think class sizes at prior exceed 15. apart from this weekly class, the student must also attend perhaps 2 weekly workshops, where they work through their homework questions with a tutor. Each workshop has a maximum of 5 students (who are usually neither in the same yr nor do they do the same subjects) and they get individual help from the tutor.

so in response to the ur question, no, a tutoring job doesn't imply that u get no contact with students, but when a workshop is quiet (i.e. students have cancelled), the tutor may be asked to mark homework. i'm actually quite surprised at how much i enjoy working at the place - it's got quite a laid back atmosphere, the ppl r gr8 and u really get to enhance ur skills. and the fact that u get paid for it as well certainly doesn't go astray either

now, in response to the 'smartness' of the students at prior - there would obviously be a wide range of abilities! i spose the only reason why people say that prior is full of 'smart' kids is cos the prior system actually does help a lot of kids get the results - it's got a whole discipline thing happening which i thought was ridiculously strict at first for a tutoring agency but hey, it really helps kids develop a good work ethic... something that i would have definitely benefited from had i gone to prior

Raginsheep

HSC
How hard were the tests? Are they you're average HSC type questions or more orientated to seeing how well you can explain different concepts?

spoon3er

HSC
N/A
well, they're nothing more than maths and science papers full of... maths and science questions. seriously, no big surprises. any explanations u need to provide shouldn't be too much of a challenge anyway, considering how they'd arise from stuff you would've already come across. u'd approach them as u would hsc exam papers

i found them reasonable in difficulty... i thought the 4u was actually quite hard, but no surprises there, considering how i hadn't touched maths for 8 months

chem and phys weren't that bad... but i found that i ran out of time in both exams, most likely due (once again) to the fact that i hadn't done any practice papers for quite some time

intuition

HSC
N/A
I taught at North Shore for about 4/5 years.

Most of my classes were massive. I'm talking 20+ students... sometimes over 30!

The quality of the materials were really quite ordinary there, esp the science and english programs. They would literally "cut and paste" articles/excerpts from textbooks and photocopy them into their notes. Quite unprofessional in my opinion.

The popularity and success of the class had a lot to do with the teacher. Do a good job, and you'll get all the students coming to your class - that was the usual guage of your performance.

I was on $30/hr for most of my time there and I had to ASK them for a payrise at which time I was told "times are tough now... we can't afford to give you much".

So they put me "up" to $32... soooo generous :(

Anyway when I eventually quit, they were all over me like "we'll give you a pay rise... how much do you want? bla bla bla...."

But now I run my own place
:)

intuition

HSC
N/A
North Shore do have admin jobs. I know a few ppl who help with photocopying, formatting their lessons (that is, "cutting and pasting") and they get between $20 - $28 an hour

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
wow ^that's^ amazing, but unfortunately north shore's so far away...:(

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
intuition said:
North Shore do have admin jobs. I know a few ppl who help with photocopying, formatting their lessons (that is, "cutting and pasting") and they get between $20 - $28 an hour
Do you need experience for those kinds of jobs? I wouldn't mind doing that...either that, or actually tutoring/teaching :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)