PC or consoles (1 Viewer)

Which is a better gaming platform, considering all aspects?

• PC

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • Consoles

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
PC for the P2P, emulation, net games and hacks.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
consoles for me, for shiz. I originally liked PC, but got sick of the upgrading required, as well as problems with running certain games, despite your requirements being higher than what it said on the box.

I love adventure games, and for those PC wins, as there's very limited range on consoles.

I don't mind using a controller for FPS games. The mouse is easier to use, but now I don't notice much of a difference.

I'm a huge sports game fan, and for sports games consoles pwnz0r.

Also, the online network (esp. Xbox Live) is far better on consoles. I love being able to carry all your friends over between games, have custom leaderboards, send friends voice messages, participate in tournaments, win prizes, etc etc.

Overall, though, nothing beats my Xbox 360 running Gears of War on my newly bought 32" Samsung LCD.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Consoles, easily.
I dont even consider my PC as an option for gaming.
Probably because I like platformers and sports games the most.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
P.s. for PC people's sake, I hope Mass Effect eventually cums out for PC. Should be the game of the year

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
the cost of upgrading isnt too much.

up until core 2 duos were released most processors were around p4 equivalent for about 6 or so years without any major gains in performance.

RAM requirements arent too much, 512MB of RAM will play most games decently, while 2GBs should futre proof your comp for many years to come.

the AGP bus type dying out was probably one of the major "omg i need a new computer now" moments, but even then there was no performance gains from switching over and im sure PCI-E should remain viable for atleast another +5 years.

PSUs are starting to become an issue with video cards consuming more power, but im fairly sure all new PSUs will be compatible with most rigs so a replacement isnt too much of an issue.

only real thing you need to worry about is your graphics card. a $200 6600GT OCed has lasted me a good 2 years and can play most of the latest games at decent frame rates even with very dated rig. $200-$300 every 2-3 years doesnt sound like a huge sacrafice once you have the rest of your hardware futureproofed.

and think of how much money you can save my pirating all your games :p
for many games there are certain "things" which can get you playing multiplayer without a retail copy.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
You can pirate games on consoles, too, in case you didn't know. I personally like to support developers, as they are contributing to a huge entertainment experience for me. I pay $10 for a movie ticket that gives me 2 hours of enjoyment. I also pay $90 for Oblivion, which gives me 100 hours fo enjoyment (and that's just for me, my stepbrother has gotten just as much, and my girlfriend will too after I repurchase the game).

Furthermore, how much would you have to pay for a PC that runs Oblivion at the same standard as a 360 can? My stepdad who works in computing had spent about $1.5k on his PC about six months before the game's release. It looked like crap. He calculated that he'd need to spend about $400 dollars to run the game properly. That's quite an expensive upgrade. For this amount of money I can get another Xbox 360.

Back when I was into PC gaming, as much as I was into console gaming, I would upgrade my computer about every 9 months with a $300 or so investment. That's still a big deal, considering a console should lust the average person about 4-5 years.

Furthermore, the purpose of this thread isn't to discuss piracy options. Not everyone pirates games on PC, nor do people on consoles. And again, for those who are interested in piracy can play 'backups' on Xbox, GC, PS2 and even Xbox 360 consoles.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
stazi said:
You can pirate games on consoles, too, in case you didn't know. I personally like to support developers, as they are contributing to a huge entertainment experience for me. I pay $10 for a movie ticket that gives me 2 hours of enjoyment. I also pay $90 for Oblivion, which gives me 100 hours fo enjoyment (and that's just for me, my stepbrother has gotten just as much, and my girlfriend will too after I repurchase the game).

Furthermore, how much would you have to pay for a PC that runs Oblivion at the same standard as a 360 can? My stepdad who works in computing had spent about $1.5k on his PC about six months before the game's release. It looked like crap. He calculated that he'd need to spend about $400 dollars to run the game properly. That's quite an expensive upgrade. For this amount of money I can get another Xbox 360.

Back when I was into PC gaming, as much as I was into console gaming, I would upgrade my computer about every 9 months with a $300 or so investment. That's still a big deal, considering a console should lust the average person about 4-5 years.

Furthermore, the purpose of this thread isn't to discuss piracy options. Not everyone pirates games on PC, nor do people on consoles. And again, for those who are interested in piracy can play 'backups' on Xbox, GC, PS2 and even Xbox 360 consoles.
hmm....good point there.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
PC - you don't necessarily have to buy games (3 cheers for bittorrent!!!), most console games are available on PC anyway and also I have a really crap TV :). Also I don't play sports games which are only good on consoles

however i do like on consoles how you whack a game in and youre playing within a minute or so.....

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ianc said:
PC - you don't necessarily have to buy games (3 cheers for bittorrent!!!), most console games are available on PC anyway and also I have a really crap TV :). Also I don't play sports games which are only good on consoles

however i do like on consoles how you whack a game in and youre playing within a minute or so.....
Actually, it seems that a lot of games released on PC and consoles are inferior on the PC (e.g. GRAW, Splinter Cells, etc). Then there's a trend for console-only games, such as Gears of War, Halo 2/3. Then there's much later releases on PC, such as GTA.
On the other side of the coin, many PC games never come out on consoles

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
There are many games that are PC only, but aside from a few games like Civ and Warcraft these are usually crappy games anywayz.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It's really not that bad. It takes a bit of practice but I love using the analogue stick for the cursor.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I mainly play FPS and RTS.. so PC has always been the go for me. That's not to say consoles are necessarily inferior. Some of the best games I've ever played has been on consoles, such as Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
Actually, it seems that a lot of games released on PC and consoles are inferior on the PC (e.g. GRAW, Splinter Cells, etc). Then there's a trend for console-only games, such as Gears of War, Halo 2/3. Then there's much later releases on PC, such as GTA.
Halo 2 is coming out soon as a vista only release.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
haha, how long after it came out on xbox :p 2 years or something?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
haha, how long after it came out on xbox :p 2 years or something?
It's mostly because MS wants to push people to upgrade to Vista sooner rather than later, hence a lot of gamers will do so to get Halo 2.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
true. but halo 3 will prob be out by the time halo 2 is out on pc. but i can see the games for vista range being quite impressive. cant wait to see alan wake on vista/360. some games will apparently be compatible online with each other across the two platforms. sexytime.

manufan

HSC
PC definately. Games are cheaper, can be optimised, can be played while working :D

The downside is the price of the PC, with a decent rig for modern games at around $1500 while similar graphics from the 360 at $550.

Although when you weigh the price of the console and the games together, the PC kills the 360, because you can pretty much get any game using torrents for FREE... But that is illegal and should not be encouraged :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)