PDHPE: HSC type question (1 Viewer)

Brabbit

HSC
How would you guys go about answering this question?

"Describe the pre-performance and during performance nutritional considerations for a marathon runner."

Aysce

HSC
So I would keep in mind the syllabus dot point "Nutritional considerations" and remember the 2 sub points:

- Pre performance including carbohydrate loading
- During performance

Since you have a marathon runner, he/she is obviously going to be an aerobic based athlete who requires long lasting energy. So you would mention in your answer, carbohydrate loading (include the approximate number of days prior to competition and how many carbs he/she must consume per kg of body weight - include some foods such as complex carbs ie. pasta etc), the fact that he/she needs to consume low G.I. (Glycaemic Index) foods for longer lasting energy and explain the benefits/necessity of these 2 things. It is also worth mentioned what types of foods to eat prior to competition in terms of time fragments. E.g. 2 hours before - can eat solids such as..., 30 minutes before - very light solid snack and liquid foods, and 10 minutes before - jelly beans, liquid foods.

Moving on to during performance, you would mention liquid foods high in carbohydrate content to avoid indigestion, stomach aches etc and you would mention that the individual should drink X mL of water/liquid ever 15 minutes to avoid dehydration. Also mention that the drinks he/she should consume are water or sports drinks such as Gatorade since they include electrolytes that need to be replaced during competition.

Wrap your statements with 1-3 statistics here and there and you're done.

Brabbit

HSC
wow, thanks so much! such a detailed response. I shall take these points into consideration!

and also, i am having a little trouble planning this kind of question:

"Compare and contrast the overall effectiveness of the alactacid system (ATP/PC) with the aerobic system in regards to sources of fuel and causes of fatigue"

Any suggestions?

Thank you sooo sooo sooo sooo much! REALLY appreciate it :)

Aysce

HSC
wow, thanks so much! such a detailed response. I shall take these points into consideration!

and also, i am having a little trouble planning this kind of question:

"Compare and contrast the overall effectiveness of the alactacid system (ATP/PC) with the aerobic system in regards to sources of fuel and causes of fatigue"

Any suggestions?

Thank you sooo sooo sooo sooo much! REALLY appreciate it :)
It's no problem :) - All it really boils down to is memorising the syllabus, learning to incorporate other syllabus dot points into your response and including a few stats if necessary to show that you have an extensive knowledge.

In regards to your question:

In this question, it only mentions 2 sub dot-points (sources of fuel and causes of fatigue) underneath the dot point which talks about the different factors of the 3 energy systems (forgot what it was called, sorry). Keep in mind that it would also help to include the sub-dot point regarding the efficiency of ATP production for both systems which contributes to the overall effectiveness.

I would first make a statement of how the overall effectiveness of these 2 systems are circumstantial ie. It depends on the athlete and their sport.

Contrasting (Disclaimer: It has been a long time since I last learned PDHPE so if I made any errors, forgive me):
- The ATP system requires creatine phosphate as a fuel and you would proceed to briefly mention how it produces ATP along with mentioning the efficiency of ATP production. Maybe briefly include the process but it depends on how long your response is and I'm not sure whether it is too relevant here. Also, talk about how it produces lots of energy in a short period of time for high-intensity actions and provide an example of when it is applied.

-The aerobic system requires X (same thing as above) and you may use the same example to compare what if a certain athlete used the aerobic system instead of the ATP system for a certain movement then comment on effectiveness in this case. Mention that aerobic system does provide ATP of a longer period of time contrasting to the short period of time for the ATP system and include the approximate times of fuel depletion.

Comparing:
-Similarities between these 2 systems are that once their fuels are depleted, we see that ATP production ceases and fatigue starts to occur (i think there's more to how fatigue occurs but I've forgotten). At this stage for both systems, effectiveness is basically negligible and requires rest - include time frames for both systems.

Sorry, I would've given a much better response had it been a few months ago, but this is the best I can do for you at the moment. I am used to this question asking for more than "sources of fuel and causes of fatigue" as a means for comparison and contrast.

HSC
Just an extra point to keep in mind, long duration athletes should be having 15Ml of water per kilo per hour. Ie. I'm 70Kg and if I were to go on a 3hr bike ride it would be 70 x 15 x 3 = 3150Ml or 3.1L
Somewhere I've also got a really good assignment on energy systems (18/20), I'll have a poke around and send it over if I can.
Good luck this year!

Aysce

HSC
If you guys want, I can send you my energy systems assignment as well. It is excessively long but it goes in depth and I received 20/20 for it. That's to say if I can find it in the first place. I also have a Core 1 assignment (19/20) and an option assignment (it revolved around types of bandages, injuries etc) that got 20/20 so just speak up if you're interested.

Brabbit

HSC
Ohmygoodness, thanks soo soo sooo much for your help! words cannot explain how thankful I am!! You just lifted a great weight off my shoulders, feel so much better with this guide :)

And it would be so greatly appreciated if you could send me any previous assignments! It would be a bigggg help if you could kindly do so.
Again, thank you sooo soooooooooo much!! I appreciate it sincerely :D Your'e amazinggg!~

Brabbit

HSC
Thanks for the heads up! Greatly appreciated :D

Aysce

HSC
Ohmygoodness, thanks soo soo sooo much for your help! words cannot explain how thankful I am!! You just lifted a great weight off my shoulders, feel so much better with this guide :)

And it would be so greatly appreciated if you could send me any previous assignments! It would be a bigggg help if you could kindly do so.
Again, thank you sooo soooooooooo much!! I appreciate it sincerely :D Your'e amazinggg!~
I'll have to find them and scan them when I have time - just PM me if you need them ASAP because I'm quite busy with work at the moment.

Glad I helped :)

Feel free to ask me any questions via a new thread. The PDHPE forum surely needs more action and I am more than happy to help fellow PDHPE'ers out :)

Brabbit

HSC
No worries, there's no rush! You can just do it when you have some spare time :) And again, thanks so much for your help :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)