PDHPE Marathon 2012 (1 Viewer)

Hazballs

HSC
Hey Guys,

The PDHPE forum is pretty dead so i thought i'd try spice it up a little bit by having a marathon.. also helps us constantly revise stuff meaning it will stay in our heads better.. rules are pretty simple just answer the last question posed by someone, then post your own question.. If anyone sees an answer that could have had more detail in it then help improve it!

I'm currently doing sports medicine so:

Identify specific examples of injuries that reflect each of the classifications.

If you're not doing this post your own question or something!

Aysce

HSC
Simply incorporate a specific scenario to one specific part of a classification.

My question: Describe how the principles of specificity and reversibility apply to a flexibility training program (4 marks)

fishrushed

HSC
Thought I'd contribute a bit :D

Specificity (muscle and movement) can be applied into a flexibility program by training specific muscles or muscle groups that will be required in performance. e.g In tennis, Dynamic stretching in the form of mimicking a forehand swing specifically trains the muscles required in the swing.
Through a continual and regular training regime, the principle of reversibility is applied so that the de-training effect in flexibility (e.g. loss in range of motion about a joint) is minimised or does not occur.

fishrushed

HSC
Here's my question:
Describe the limitations of Epidemiology.

Hazballs

HSC
Hadn't started core one yet but we just did so yeah here we go :) Not to sure how many marks the question's worth but anway

Epidemiology is the study of the frequency and distribution of mortality and disease within a specified population and it also involves an attempt to identify the reasoning for figures and statistics. Epidemiology however does have some limitations with regards to identifying the health status of a population. The primary focus on identifying disease and physical ill health does not identify factors or areas where Australia’s experience excellent health, epidemiology does not identify or explain how causal or contributing factors influence health statistics, chronic health conditions may take years to develop before presenting and therefore may be unidentifiable amongst populations, statistics gathered through epidemiology on the incidence of mental health often rely on individual reporting and therefore can be misleading and it is difficult to measure the quality of social health indicators amongst a population.

My Question: Demonstrate how an illness or disease is affected as a national health priority area (5 marks)

Last edited:

yahyah123

HSC
Hahahaha, I have no clue on how to answer that question. Would it be along the lines of because a disease/illness has been recognised as NHPA there are now steps taken in order to reduce it through extra funding, health promotion initiatives etc? And the disease/illness has now been reduced in its impact? Or am I way off? :confused2:

My question, however, would be: Compare the features of the anaerobic energy systems (5 marks).

Hazballs

HSC
Hahahaha, I have no clue on how to answer that question. Would it be along the lines of because a disease/illness has been recognised as NHPA there are now steps taken in order to reduce it through extra funding, health promotion initiatives etc? And the disease/illness has now been reduced in its impact? Or am I way off? :confused2:

My question, however, would be: Compare the features of the anaerobic energy systems (5 marks).
We got it as a homework question so yeah i wasn't to sure either.. I think you go through the 5 dot points under the syllabus heading for it which are Social Justice principles, priority population groups, prevalence of condition, potential for prevention and early intervention and costs to the individual and community and then just go through and say how each of them are selected or something..

Maybe asycee or someone else can help us out?

Two aerobic energy systems are ATP/PC and lactic acid.
Source of fuel for ATP/PC is creatine phosphate (PC) where as the source of fuel for Lactic Acid system is carbohydrates and glucose in the blood).
Efficiency - ATP/PC provides very quick and efficient ATP production but for a limited period of time only and lactic acid provides quick ATP production but fatigues once lactic acid levels rise and acidosis occurs in the blood.
Duration - ATP/PC 10/12 seconds (95-100% of max effort). Lactic acid is 30 seconds to 3 minutes of 70-95% of Max effort

cause of fatigue ATP/PC - depletion of ATp and PC stores. Lactic acid- accumulation of lactic acid in the blood stream
by products ATP-PC- none, Lactic Acid- Lactic Acid
Recovery Rate ATP/PC- 50% in 30 seconds, 100% by 2 minutes. Lactic acid- 30 minutes to 2 hours
Example ATP- Shot put, 100m Sprint, javelin. Lactic Acid- 400m, 800m run, 100m and 200m freestyle swim

My question: Explain the difference between anxiety and arousal in terms of the effects on performance. (4 marks)

Aysce

HSC
We got it as a homework question so yeah i wasn't to sure either.. I think you go through the 5 dot points under the syllabus heading for it which are Social Justice principles, priority population groups, prevalence of condition, potential for prevention and early intervention and costs to the individual and community and then just go through and say how each of them are selected or something..

Maybe asycee or someone else can help us out?

My question: Explain the difference between anxiety and arousal in terms of the effects on performance. (4 marks)
Looks like I came on the scene 2 weeks late ^__^''. Sorry!

Yup spot on, good work.

Bump, c'mon PDHPE'ers, this question is a cake-walk.

Aysce

HSC
Explain the difference between anxiety and arousal in terms of the effects on performance. (4 marks)

Remember the syllabus guys! Also a little acronym I used for anxiety management is: MR GVC (Mental rehearsal, Relaxation techniques, Goal setting, Visualisation and Concentration/focusing).

Response (Not perfect and I still have some gaps in knowledge since it's been a while, but feel free to add on):

Explain the difference between anxiety and arousal in terms of the effects on performance. (4 marks)

Anxiety can be defined as a psychological state of discomfort and uneasiness prior to a major event such as a soccer grand final. Two types of anxiety are state anxiety referring to anxiety or heightened emotions in response to a particular situation and trait anxiety which is defined as the general stress of an individual and can vary. Anxiety can lead to loss of focus, mental paralysis and as a result, poor execution of movements. For example, if a striker engaged in a penalty shoot out experiences a great level of mental stress, they are more likely to miss due to failure in properly controlling muscle coordination and honing concentration for the task. This may be combatted through goal setting or relaxation techniques such as deep breathing (not relevant here). Arousal on the other hand refers to stress on a physiological level and can have a beneficial or detrimental effect. If an athlete is over-aroused, they may feel highly energetic and more prone to distractions whilst if they were to be under-aroused, they may feel extremely unmotivated hence contributing to poor performance. Although if an athlete were optimally aroused, their motivation, muscle tension and concentration would be ideal for maximising performance. Different extents of arousal can be suitable to different sports. For instance, weight lifters require over-arousal for optimal performance, whilst ballet dancers require minimal-arousal.

It's long I must admit for a 4 marker but I'm sure you guys can find a way to cut it down.

Always remember to structure your responses COHERENTLY:

S - State
E - Explain
X - Example
Y- Why? (If applicable)

Within explain, be sure to use cause and effect language as well. This is what differentiates State from Explain.

Aysce

HSC
My turn:

Compare how various feedback techniques can be used to improve performance when considering the nature of the skill and characteristics of the learner. (6 marks)

Always LOVED this question. Very easy and tests whether you know the syllabus or not!

Hazballs

HSC
No idea really but i'll try..

Feedback techniques - internal, concurrent, external, delayed, knowledge of results, knowledge of performance
Nature of the skill - Open, closed, fine, gross, discrete, serial, continuos, self paced, externally paced.
Characteristics of the learner - confidence, heredity, ability, prior experience, personality

Then i actually have no idea how'd you answer that...?

The feedback technique used is dependent upon the nature of the skill and the characteristic of the learner? Yeah Help haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)