Peer Assessment: ujuphleg (2006) (1 Viewer)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Hey guys, :wave:

So this is going to sound very weird and I'm potentially opening myself up to be hacked to shreds.

But essentially, in the grand tradition of moronic USyd assessments involving you to "rate your groupwork partners" I would like you to rate me. Oh and also, since you've been doing all those UoS Assessments, another one won't hurt right?

Yes thats right, :eek: I want to hear from you about what you think my modding has been like in the little over a year that I've now been modding this forum. More importantly, I also want to know what you want to see more of on in this particular subforum. Please keep in mind, these questions apply to the University of Sydney forum only. I'll accept comments/suggestions about the rest of the forum and pass them on if you want, but I don't have jurisdiction outside of here to see that their implemented in full.

So, there are 5 questions I would like you to answer both about my moderating ability and about the USyd forum in general, if you could kindly take the time to do so. The more constructive the responses, the better.

So here goes:

1. What have you liked about my modding/the USyd forum this year?
  2. What have you NOT liked abou my modding/the USyd forum this year?
  3. How would you suggest that I improve my modding/the USyd forum in the coming year?
  4. What would you like to see more of in this forum next year?
  5. Are there any other additional comments you would like to make?

As a moderator, my duty extends far beyond mere housekeeping and keeping members in line. It is my hope to make USyd an excellent forum, a place where you want to come and talk to your fellow uni students, where you can feel comfortable about asking questions etc. And I also think that the forum is a great way to make friends and meet other people.

I have lots of ideas which I want to implement over the holidays and in the summer so watch this space for more updates and things. I am generally a slow mover, but I like to get things done (eventually) so even if it takes a little while I'll get there in the end :)

It'd be great if this thread could not descend into spam :spam: or whatever, but any constructive comments would be greatly appreciated and I'll take all serious suggestions into consideration.

I hope that assessments and exams haven't been tiring you all out too much. I for one am so glad this semester is over. I will be very grateful if you could take the time out to do this for me.

Your local USyd moderator,
Susan :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
Re: Peer Assessment: ujuphleg

I don't come here often, so I haven't experienced enough of your modding to be able to make a fair judgement. However I'll say I've no issues with what I've encountered so far. :eek:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

Thanks.

Come on people - 20 views, and only one reply!!! :(

Collin

HSC
N/A

I'll count for another person then.

I don't come here often, so I haven't experienced enough of your modding to be able to make a fair judgement. However I'll say I've no issues with what I've encountered so far. :eek:

J

jhakka

Overall I think this forum is run very efficiently. And when we have a mod who checks the election/whatever threads daily in between assignments and other commitments, I have nothing to complain about.

Maybe we could make this forum a bit more MQ-friendly, though. :p

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

brogan77 said:
Perma-ban any MQer that dares set foot in our inner sanctum.

Thank you.
I can't see them being too happy with that :)

Winston

HSC

You're doing a fine job, except, to get full marks, you would need to make the thread about me stickied.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

What have you liked about my modding/the USyd forum this year?
Letting us have a chat thread (read:meaningless spam), keeping the election stuff clear and important

What have you NOT liked abou my modding/the USyd forum this year?
FAILURE TO KEEP MQers out :)

How would you suggest that I improve my modding/the USyd forum in the coming year?
As above, :) nah, um, tis good, mebbe more meets

What would you like to see more of in this forum next year?
Maybe general tips on assignments/referencing..probably thats more of a group effort, having the above subdivided by faculty (or even school) would be good. Maybe an events thread, you know stuff happening on campus. On the roll call the ability to submit pictures (for those who want), on the roll call, or a seperate thread, actual subjects so people can compare. Though I realise all of this would take a lot of effort, but if we all pitch in!

Just some ideas off the top of my head

Are there any other additional comments you would like to make?
No, thank you, 'cept mebbe for me at least, the subforums by faculty seem a bit useless, is that just me? or am i not using them to their full potential

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

townie said:
What have you liked about my modding/the USyd forum this year?
Letting us have a chat thread (read:meaningless spam), keeping the election stuff clear and important
Well if it keeps spam out of other areas of the forum then its fine by me, thats always been the policy.

townie said:
What have you NOT liked abou my modding/the USyd forum this year?
FAILURE TO KEEP MQers out :)
Hehee, again, I can see that being an issue guys. :p

townie said:
mebbe more meets
Yeah we'll look into doing that more next year. :) I reckon a joint meet with UTS is in order at some point.

townie said:
What would you like to see more of in this forum next year?
Maybe general tips on assignments/referencing..probably thats more of a group effort, having the above subdivided by faculty (or even school) would be good. Maybe an events thread, you know stuff happening on campus. On the roll call the ability to submit pictures (for those who want), on the roll call, or a seperate thread, actual subjects so people can compare. Though I realise all of this would take a lot of effort, but if we all pitch in!
Its good to see that you too are thinking about that kind of stuff. I'll look into the possibility of photos for the roll call - currently one post can only have 20 pictures on it though, so the only way for pics will be for them to be submitted to me directly then put into the roll - a fair amount of effort considering that it already takes me so long at the beginning of the year to turn the roll into a .pdf but we'll see what we can do. No promises.

Resources - I have an embryo of an idea which i have to work on, but we'll see where the holidays take us on that. I currently have to work on BoS notes, let alone uni ones but we'll see.

Events thread - there is already the Clubs n Socs Adverstising thread, but perhaps we'll extend that to all events in general.

Comparative subjects - I spent a bit of time putting all the reviews into a .pdf file too, which is good cos they're all in alphabetical order and so long as i'm mod of this forum i'll continue to update that too.

townie said:
Are there any other additional comments you would like to make?
No, thank you, 'cept mebbe for me at least, the subforums by faculty seem a bit useless, is that just me? or am i not using them to their full potential
Yeah look, currently, I dont' feel that the subforums get that much traffic and even the forum as whole doesn't get that much traffic. There has been a huge increase in the number of members this year, but I don't feel too many of them stick around to uni forums that much after the conclusion of the HSC.

We'll see what the new year brings. If we get heaps more people in the new year in all the different subfora, then we may look at further divisions. :)

Thanks very much for your comments Alex, I appreciate them :)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

On comparitive subjects, Susan, i meant more, just members being able to see what subjects other members are doing at USYD, so if they have a question about a missed lecture, assignment etc. they'd be able to find out who else does the same subject to ask them.

e.g. earlier this year i asked Tennille what we did in STAT2012 in the past week, 'cause i bludged lectures, but i only knew that she did that subject because i've seen her in lectures, i wouldnt have known otherwise

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

What have you liked about my modding/the USyd forum this year? Your hatred of the Jew.
What have you NOT liked abou my modding/the USyd forum this year? That you're a Nazi.
How would you suggest that I improve my modding/the USyd forum in the coming year? Jews.
What would you like to see more of in this forum next year? Freedom.
Are there any other additional comments you would like to make? Poo.

Generator

HSC
N/A

In general, I think that you were, at times, too nice, especially when it came to those who asked the most idiotic of questions that could have been answered by a quick search of the University's website or by a simple email to the tutor or lecturer. I do realise that you were quite short with some people after a time, but I still think that you could have been much more of a hard-arse :).

Last edited:
HSC
As a stupid first year, I appreciated having a friendly local Ujuphleg who wouldn't make me feel stupid for asking stupid questions.

although, that may change next next semester when I become a smug second yearer

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
townie said:
On comparitive subjects, Susan, i meant more, just members being able to see what subjects other members are doing at USYD, so if they have a question about a missed lecture, assignment etc. they'd be able to find out who else does the same subject to ask them.
Ok, well the fastest solution I can think of to that (short of building some kind of uber database) is that next year, people on the roll should not only indicate their degree but their Units of Study as well.

Using the .pdf then you'll be able to click on the user's link and see what subjects their doing under their name, as well as their degree - only if, of course, they wish to let the world know what their doing.

withoutaface said:
What have you liked about my modding/the USyd forum this year? Your hatred of the Jew.
What have you NOT liked abou my modding/the USyd forum this year? That you're a Nazi.
How would you suggest that I improve my modding/the USyd forum in the coming year? Jews.
What would you like to see more of in this forum next year? Freedom.
Are there any other additional comments you would like to make? Poo.
I did say serious dear :p

Generator said:
In general, I think that you were, at times, too nice, especially when it came to those who asked the most idiotic of questions that could have been answered by a quick search of the University's website or by a simple email to the tutor or lecturer. I do realise that you were quite short with some people after a time, but I still think that you could have been much more of a hard-arse . :)
Yes, we had this discussion :)

I still think that ultimately, its far better to be nicer with people then harsh for no apparent reason. Trust me, just like the rest of you I get irritated by people who ask the stupid questions, but I also have to be mindful of the fact that no matter what, I am a representative of the administrative body of this forum. This doesn't mean that I should be devoid of personality, but rather that I have to make sure that everyone in here feels at ease to ask questions and share information around.

Besides, I have a plethora of trolls in this forum to tell the n00bs that their idiotic for me :)

SilverPersian said:
As a stupid first year, I appreciated having a friendly local Ujuphleg who wouldn't make me feel stupid for asking stupid questions.

although, that may change next next semester when I become a smug second yearer
You didn't ask that many silly questions - besides that the other thing. I appreciate that many first years do not know as much as people like Stas did when they came to Uni and truly struggled to find information. We can't assume that everyone could navigate the tangling web of the Universitys' website effectively.

And as for smug second years - well, don't be a dick and I won't be a dick back to you. Simple :)

Thanks for your comments guys, keep them coming. :)

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Ban brogan.

He doesn't go to Sydney.

He is a disillusioned Macquarie student who just hangs around our campus.

I suggest we ban user and alert university security immediately.

tennille

HSC
Susan's hot. That is all. :p

I have found your moderating around this forum extremely helpful- you are doing a fantastic job. You go out of your way to help people by creating "Quick Guides" and so on. You are extremely friendly and so very hot. :eek:

I agree that it is better to be nice than get pissed off for no reason.

I also agree with Townie's suggestion of mentioning what subjects we do in this forum.

Generator

HSC
N/A
In my original post I should have said that I thought "that you were, at times, too short with those who turned to BOS for an answer merely because they were too lazy to look for themselves." Also, though I was annoyed by those who turned to BOS for clarification regarding important yet at times simple matters when they would have been best to contact their tutor or their lecturer, I went more than overboard by launching a salvo against all and sundry. Such questions weren't and will never be idiotic, but a student will always be better off if they take the time to throw together an email than they will be if they turn to BOS alone for clarification, especially if it's something important.

I hope that noone was upset by original post.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

ujuphleg said:
Yeah we'll look into doing that more next year. :) I reckon a joint meet with UTS is in order at some point.
<3 Susan. I hear UTS might be starting up its own Theatresports thingo so maybe the respective finales can be used as excuses for joint meats :eek:

And regarding the 'who does my subject?' database thing, if people put their subjects in their profile then it becomes searchable at a click so I guess if you just nudged people into that then it'd be easier on you to sort out? (just a random suggestion)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Tennille said:
Susan's hot. That is all.

I have found your moderating around this forum extremely helpful- you are doing a fantastic job. You go out of your way to help people by creating "Quick Guides" and so on. You are extremely friendly and so very hot.

I agree that it is better to be nice than get pissed off for no reason.

I also agree with Townie's suggestion of mentioning what subjects we do in this forum.
Thanks babe.

There will be more guides to come, I'm working on one at the moment, specifically for first years. If anyone wants to help, PM me!!

As for the subjects thing - I'll have to think about it, because putting the subjects in the profile has problems, mainly because some people don't want to put them there as they prefer to put their HSC Courses so the kiddies can ask for help

Other problem is there needs to be consistency. If I write GOVT 2445 and someone else writes GOVT2445 (with no space) then I'm still not going to find them. And I've found that trying to train people on teh internets is like trying to train very stubborn donkeys at times.

Generator said:
In my original post I should have said that I thought "that you were, at times, too short with those who turned to BOS for an answer merely because they were too lazy to look for themselves." Also, though I was annoyed by those who turned to BOS for clarification regarding important yet at times simple matters when they would have been best to contact their tutor or their lecturer, I went more than overboard by launching a salvo against all and sundry. Such questions weren't and will never be idiotic, but a student will always be better off if they take the time to throw together an email than they will be if they turn to BOS alone for clarification, especially if it's something important.

I hope that noone was upset by original post.
Hang on, so I was too short, or too patient? I'm confused now. But no, I certainly wasn't offended by your post at all! :)

kami said:
<3 Susan. I hear UTS might be starting up its own Theatresports thingo so maybe the respective finales can be used as excuses for joint meats

And regarding the 'who does my subject?' database thing, if people put their subjects in their profile then it becomes searchable at a click so I guess if you just nudged people into that then it'd be easier on you to sort out? (just a random suggestion)
Thanks. Refer to what I said to Tennille re: the profile, but thanks for the sugggestion anyway.

Malfoy said:
I love your modding, though with certain users I wish you were slightly harsher. PM me if you want me to be less cryptic.
Thanks! Don't worry, I know who you're talking about. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)