Peloponnesian League - Help!!! (1 Viewer)

madalyne

HSC
Hey
I'm doing the Greek World 500-440 B.C and I'm having troubles with the last Syllabus dot point:

*Activites of the Peloponnesian League: Spartan responses to Athenians imperialsim!!

My teacher just gave me a pile of sheets i have looked through them but are finding them very confusing!!!

If anyone has any notes or info that would be great!!
:D

Dratini

HSC
ok, i understand how confused you are. here are some notes my teacher gave me whan i asked about it:

Spartan Responses to Athenian imperialism
  • Envy in Sparta at growth of Athenian power”-Thucydides in his introduction
  • Corinth was the main agitator in the PL as they resented the influence and power of Athens
  • Many members of DL had originally been colonies of Corinth and their treatment was upsetting for Corinth
  • Sparta had to be dragged by Corinthian arguments to face Athenian “adventurism”
  • First Peloponnesian War 460-445 between Sparta, Thebes and PL v Athens and DL. A minor war .Athens victorious at sea and in Central Greece for a while
  • Brief period of Athenian land “empire” and early success fiercely resisted by Sparta, Thebes and her PL allies –
  • Battles of Tanagra Athens v Sparta 457 BC Athenian loss,
  • But followed in same year by counterattack at Battle of Oenophyta –Athens defeats Thebes and for a brief time conquered all of Boeotia except Thebes
  • Athens finally defeats old enemy Aegina and forces it into DL
  • Athens shifts to a naval emphasis rather than face Spartan land might
  • 454 BC severe setback with Egyptian disaster ,reorganisation of DL for defence
  • 451 BC Cimon returns after exile ,negotiates treaty with Sparta -5 Year Peace
  • 446 BC Boeotia revolted and Thebes defeats Athens at Battle of Coronea
  • Megara was part of this Athenian experiment- Athens built large Walls in Megara –facing the Spartans –then was furious when Megara changed sides
  • After decline of Cimon and pro-Spartan policy in Athens, Sparta was not impressed when Athens dared to face up to them
  • “First Peloponnesian War”. ended with 30 Years Peace 446 BC –Athens to be dominant at sea and Sparta on land
i hope this helps.

luridlysteph14

HSC
have a few summaries of the PL, but what I'm really confused about it how to use it? Do you use it in the elian League questions, or impacts on Sparta and Athens?

madalyne

HSC
im not really sure i also have notes on the pl i think it fits more into the impact between athens and sparta because in the syllabus the pl comes under athens and sparta and in my delian league notes i dont think pl is mentioned at all. I think if they ask a question on the pl league it would be separte and i just looked through past hsc papers and there is like no questions on the pl so hopefully we wont get one this year. My teacher didnt even teach us about the pl he just gave us sheets and said yea if you want look at these.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)