Pen volume (1 Viewer)

herbs1

HSC
I have a pen I really like, it's one of those small felt tipped ones, but the problem is, its fairly audible while writing. Is that ok? It won't disturb me, and I don't particularly care if it disturbs others, but the examiners wont tell me not to use it right?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think they would stop you unless it was extremely loud and was really affecting others. Also, if you distract others causing then to get a poorer mark, it will in turn affect your mark.

muzeikchun852

HSC
for me, it will be pretty annoying. there is one kid that kept doing one of those pen tricks in one of our in-class assessment task and almost every time he dropped his pen, there was a death stare around.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I have a pen I really like, it's one of those small felt tipped ones, but the problem is, its fairly audible while writing. Is that ok? It won't disturb me, and I don't particularly care if it disturbs others, but the examiners wont tell me not to use it right?
If it begins to affect others (to the point that they ask about it), then I believe you'll be asked not to use it, and may be provided with another pen.

herbs1

HSC
If it begins to affect others (to the point that they ask about it), then I believe you'll be asked not to use it, and may be provided with another pen.
It's just a scratching sound over the loops (like when I write an l). I assume the person infront of me might hear it. Hopefully not.

herbs1

HSC
Its not behaving. I use a pen that makes a soft audible noise when writing. Its part of the design. Same as the noise paper makes when it's turning. I could use another pen, but I really have grown used to this speed etc so I would prefer not to.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
I'm not making a strong point, and it is probably ok, but your selection of pens IS a behaviour. How would you feel if the student beside you used a calculator that made a musical tone every time a key was pressed?

jamesfirst

HSC
I'm using USYD and UNSW pens I got from the open day... it's really good but it kinda makes this ticking sounds... but too loud tho :)

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Its not behaving. I use a pen that makes a soft audible noise when writing. Its part of the design. Same as the noise paper makes when it's turning. I could use another pen, but I really have grown used to this speed etc so I would prefer not to.
dude every pen makes noise, all i can hear during the exams is the ticking of the clock and scratching of pens and people clicking and breathing heavily and flipping the page

no one will care, it's an exam and pen sounds are normal unless they're beeping. i used to use felt-tip all the time but i found they were slower than gel so yeah

in maths all the time you just hear people press their calculators and whip out their rulers = clatter, it's not like ppl complain about that so don't worry

D94

HSC
N/A
Pens aren't as bad as tables, especially when they get moved around, balancing and rocking on 3 legs, squeaking etc. I wouldn't be too worried, chances are there will be many others with noise making pens.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm using USYD and UNSW pens I got from the open day... it's really good but it kinda makes this ticking sounds... but too loud tho :)
Yeah, those pens are good.

Pens aren't as bad as tables, especially when they get moved around, balancing and rocking on 3 legs, squeaking etc. I wouldn't be too worried, chances are there will be many others with noise making pens.
If your table is rocking, ask for a piece of cardboard from the invigilators to stop your table rocking.

herbs1

HSC
Yeah, those pens are good.

If your table is rocking, ask for a piece of cardboard from the invigilators to stop your table rocking.
when the cars a rockin' don't come a knockin'

D94

HSC
N/A
You'd think it would be that easy, but some people simply ignore it and write faster, not even noticing it's their table making noise! It's usually hard to tell whose table it is, especially when half the room has tables making all sorts of funny noises (during our trial exams :()

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC
yeah, using a loud pen doesn't really distract people as much as tapping and dropping your pen constantly does

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh come on, if a pen writing is now going to be a distraction - then how about we clamp down on those people who turn their pages in a noisy manner... which makes much more noise /sarcasm

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh come on, if a pen writing is now going to be a distraction - then how about we clamp down on those people who turn their pages in a noisy manner... which makes much more noise /sarcasm
i actually legit hate that.

it's the worst in maths, i'm sure it psyches ppl out during q1-q3 when everyone turns at the same fucking time and you're like fuck i still have to do the last part

well that doesn't usually happen to me, i suppose it's more like the reverse. half the ppl turn past q1 at the same time as me and i feel safe. though i remember having to sit opposite this pro maths girl during mx1 cos we would sit on the opposite ends of the desk (so gay)... it was so bad lol she was clearly checking when i just started the last question (as in the question, not the part)... and then the table would shake every time you rubbed something out fml

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)