penn state uni (1 Viewer)

timmyh

HSC
Hey guys,
im pretty sure im going on excahnge to pennsylvania state university (in the US) later this year.
If anyone knows anything about this place... accomodation, teaching quality, sporting, general rep of the uni or anything else it would be tops if u could post something...
Cheers

T

Testpilot

I think it is a pretty good uni for College Football (as in gridiron). From memory they play AAA football, so i guess they'd be good quality games to watch.

sunnybuns

HSC
penn state has a very good rep..I have a friend who went on exchange there and she loved it. It is bing on football and the games look like they would be fun to watch

timmyh

HSC
Cheers guys,
yeah i looked up penn state on youtube to see what i could find and 99% of it is american football hype vids.... looks pretty sweet
Sunnybuns: did ur friend stay in the on campus accomodation? if so do u know whether she liked it?

timmyh

HSC
Thanks for that site stazi....

Also, a fair few of the comments seem to be about penn state being a big drinking/ partying uni, which is pretty good for me lol...
just a few more questions about this... what is the go for joining a fraternity... if im only on exchange can i do it? do i want to do it? and seeing as the drinking age is 21 there, is it heavily enforced?
also, a few ppl have commented that there is not many internationals, and that they mainly stick to themselves, not cool in my books... is that true?
Cheers

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol you dont need to join a frat. you'll probably also hate frat boys. i thought they'd be like jocks, which i can tollerate. but they're all about the 'i went sailing with my girlfriend last summer in spain. look at my ralph laurent polo shirt. it cost $500. look at my boat shoes. i am great.'
however, for the first few weeks of uni, frats open themselves up during rush (to get pledgers), which means open house, open bar, etc :D

The drinking age's enforcement is relatively heavy. However, you can go to flight centre and ask for a student discount card. On the app form you can put a fake D.O.B. - they won't ask to see your real one, and even if they do, they'll still put down a fake D.O.B. Best thing to do is just keep the same birthday, but vary the year. I got into 80% of places in North Carolina (which has the strictest alcohol enforcement laws in the US).

During the first week (pre-uni) internationals will stick to themselves. This is mainly because hardly anyone is on campus, plus it's easier that way. Soon, though, especially when classes start, this changes. I kept hanging around one aussie guy (out of about 40 international students, and 9 aussies) , but apart from that, I hung around Americans. As an Aussie, you'll be somewhat a celebrity.

Make sure you also get facebook, as everyone has it in the US. Add some random people from that uni through facebook (and myspace). Make e-friends with them, and ask if they can show you around, go shopping with you, etc, when uni begins.

pinkdancindiva

HSC
I have been offered a full scholarship to penn state (havent accepted) and could start January. It sounds pretty great especially if your into sport. Its HUGE though but if your looking for a real college exprience i would definatly go! It up to you weather you hany out with other internationals!

You can join a frat at the start of either semester (some are harder than others). Really good way to make great friends. Ignore the guy that bagged them!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Just so you know in Pennsylvania I don't think there is a waiting period and you can get a carry permit.

You may not care so much but it is the first thing I would do.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
pinkdancindiva said:
I have been offered a full scholarship to penn state (havent accepted) and could start January. It sounds pretty great especially if your into sport. Its HUGE though but if your looking for a real college exprience i would definatly go! It up to you weather you hany out with other internationals!

You can join a frat at the start of either semester (some are harder than others). Really good way to make great friends. Ignore the guy that bagged them!
Yep, ignore me, a person who actually went to college in the US and experienced who the typical frat-boy is, and listen to you, someone who hasn't studied abroad and hasn't finished their HSC.

pinkdancindiva

HSC
I lived in the states for 8 year and both my parents are american and my sister is studying over there now. I do have some idea what im talking about.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I wouldn't do the frat thing either. It might be your speed, it might not. Depends on the frats there anyways. Some of them are more mild than others.

Also, I don't think you can pledge when you're on exchange. Perhaps I'm wrong but eh. Most of my relatives/friends bag the shit out of them and they go to universites up north, where frats aren't as big as the south.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Tulipa is right -you can't pledge whilst on exchange, as they want a long-term commitment to the fraternity community.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)