• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Penrith UWS or Canberra Uni ?!?! (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Lankan

HSC
Does anyone know:

(I) Which uni is better in general ?

(II) Which uni is better for graphic design ?

and the pros/cons of each uni !

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Check out the latest good universities guide at ur local newsagency

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Is there any particular reason as to why you're deciding between those two?

santaslayer

HSC
I would say ANU is better in general terms, but I would choose graphic design at UWS.

Lazy Lankan

HSC
In response to 'neo_o':

I finished HSC in '04' - I'm doing B Maths and Computing at UTS - and I h8 it! I wanna drop out afta first semester, work for 6 months, then start graphic design next year! I got a UAI of 84.05 - meaning I can only do graphic design at either one of these uni's or a private college! But coz my parents are so [argh!] - they reckon that private colleges are only for those people who aren't 'good' enough UAI-wise to get into uni ... although I know that that isn't true!

So it looks like I HAVE to choose between one of thse two uni's, unless I can convince my parents b4 next yr that colleges are good enough!

Oh and btw my parents are actually overseas .... so I told them that I wanna do graphic design ova the phone :p

Lazy Lankan

HSC
yeah I know that private colleges are better for these types of courses - but my parents don't know that! I wanna go to either KvB or Sydney Graphics College! Sydney Graphics College costs around $25,000 - which ain't too bad ... but Visual Communication at KvB is $65,000 !!! I saw it on the net !!!

Lazy Lankan

HSC
I haven't heard of FEE-HELP b4 but I guess that's ok! but someone told me that KvB is run by Bond University meaning that $65000 can be paid using HECS. But even so, I don't wanna be paying over $50000 just for my uni degree - that's ridiculous!

S

Shuter

natstar said:
I do a unit in UWS's school of Communication, Design and Media, and I can say that the school has some of the best resouces for fine arts/media/communications etc
How can you say that, have you been around to all the other unis and compared?

S

Shuter

natstar said:
Show me where i compared UWS comm, design and media facilities with other unis.
natstar said:
I do a unit in UWS's school of Communication, Design and Media, and I can say that the school has some of the best resouces for fine arts/media/communications etc
The use of the word "best" indicates that they are the ultimate, that all other facilities must be worse or equal at best. The correct way to say it would be "I can say that the school has very good resources" or even "exceptional" resources, but you cannot say "best" without knowing what the competition is.

Thanks for stopping by though.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
Shuter said:
The use of the word "best" indicates that they are the ultimate, that all other facilities must be worse or equal at best. The correct way to say it would be "I can say that the school has very good resources" or even "exceptional" resources, but you cannot says "best" without knowing what the competition is.

Thanks for stopping by though.
lol ive got another word for you shuter

ANAL

youre taking an entire post out of context because of one word

but then again i have no idea what this htread is about so ill be leaving

traalalalalal

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
haha i feel like going to the L&R forum to find some post along the lines

"he treats me so disrespectfully, but then i always take him back"

<3

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Lazy Lankan said:
In response to 'neo_o':

I finished HSC in '04' - I'm doing B Maths and Computing at UTS - and I h8 it! I wanna drop out afta first semester, work for 6 months, then start graphic design next year! I got a UAI of 84.05 - meaning I can only do graphic design at either one of these uni's or a private college! But coz my parents are so [argh!] - they reckon that private colleges are only for those people who aren't 'good' enough UAI-wise to get into uni ... although I know that that isn't true!

So it looks like I HAVE to choose between one of thse two uni's, unless I can convince my parents b4 next yr that colleges are good enough!

Oh and btw my parents are actually overseas .... so I told them that I wanna do graphic design ova the phone :p
If you stick with what you're doing currently, and make sure that you get a high credit to a distinction average you could easily transfer into any university of your choice.

From memory B Digital Media at COFA (which I had as a preference) had a cut off of about 89. http://www.cofa.unsw.edu.au/college/ugprograms/default.php?n=9

When you transfer, they consider both your UAI and your GPA (it's usually 50/50). Just to give you an idea about how "easy" it is to transfer into another course, B Laws at Sydney has a cut off of 99.6 or so, but when transferring you need a UAI of 96 and a Distinction Average (according to their site). So, work hard at what your currently in and get that transfer. Good luck :)

Lazy Lankan

HSC
I'm actually only doing 2 subjects this semester! Coz my degree is Maths & Computing and I was struggling with the Computer component I only do the maths subjects right now! The computer stuff is like another language! And I doubt I'll make distinction ... but do u reckon if I made high credit with 2 subjects ... and took 6 months off - can I still transfer?

Oh and btw B Digital Media sounds alright (I went to the site) - but I'm more interested in Graphic Design ... they are sorta similar but different at the same time - lol

S

Shuter

natstar said:
key word -SOME. i didnt say it was more superior to another uni. Anyway, does it matter?
By using the keyword "best", yes you did. It does matter, you often get riled at people for making unresearched opinions about UWS, yet you have just made one yourself.

Personally I think UWS has some of the dumbest uni students.

Generator

HSC
N/A
You're an arsehole, shuter.

Given what you had to to say about your parents, I think that Canberra would be the better option as you would be forced to move away from home (for the 3? academic years, anyway).

Last edited:

Lazy Lankan

HSC
Generator ...

That's exactly what I thought man ... coz they said they'd be willing to pay for accomodation etc. but I don't wanna leave behind all my school friends for 4 years!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)