People and Planet Unit (1 Viewer)

carmela300

HSC
Hi all,

Can someone explain to me the people and planet unit process? You can choose any unit from each category, right? Do they need to have some relevance to your course, or are they simply a chance to explore another area of interest???

Thanks!

buriza

conviction
HSC

carmela300

HSC
Basically you choose a people and planet unit from these lists: http://handbook.mq.edu.au/2015/Units/People and http://handbook.mq.edu.au/2015/Units/Planet. Both units have to be from separate faculties and they do not have to be relevant to your course; you are free to do whatever you like. I advise you get this done during your first year though (I did one unit each semester).
Thank you! So they do not contribute to the degree? And why would u suggest to get them done in first year?? Thanks again!!

buriza

conviction
HSC
Thank you! So they do not contribute to the degree? And why would u suggest to get them done in first year?? Thanks again!!
No, they don't really contribute to the degree other than giving you wider areas to study and fulfilling credit points. I would suggest them to be done in the first year because you'll probably have more electives then and it'll be easier to do. But ultimately it's your choice.

carmela300

HSC
No, they don't really contribute to the degree other than giving you wider areas to study and fulfilling credit points. I would suggest them to be done in the first year because you'll probably have more electives then and it'll be easier to do. But ultimately it's your choice.
Thank you! I will look into my options!

carmela300

HSC
Can u change the unit if you come to find it not enjoyable??

carmela300

HSC
Yes, you can do so as long as you withdraw before 31 March (it costs to do so otherwise). :)
Can u choose people and planet units from your couse? E.g. i am doing a law couse, so can i pick a law people or planet unit?

buriza

conviction
HSC
Can u choose people and planet units from your couse? E.g. i am doing a law couse, so can i pick a law people or planet unit?
No you can't, they have to be from a different faculty.

ShadowLighte

HSC
I also have a question, the people and planet units that have prerequisites- are we not allowed to do them? It would make sense not being allowed to since we may need prior knowledge but there was nothing about it in the criteria as far as I could see.

buriza

conviction
HSC
I also have a question, the people and planet units that have prerequisites- are we not allowed to do them? It would make sense not being allowed to since we may need prior knowledge but there was nothing about it in the criteria as far as I could see.
Yes, you cannot do units if they have necessary prerequisites you have not fulfilled.

shaker2

HSC
N/A
SO two different units from two different faculties that are NOT from your course faculty either?
No, I think it means that the people and planet units have to be from 2 different faculties but that 1 of them can be from the same faculty as the course you are enrolled in provided that it is not listed as a requirement for that course.
For example, the Bachelor of Business Administration falls under the Faculty of Business and Economics. According to the suggested program of study (http://courses.mq.edu.au/uploads/courseworkguidance/BBA_2015_V3.pdf) you could choose to do ECON131 as your planet unit. ECON131 also falls under the Faculty of Business and Economics.

buriza

conviction
HSC
No, I think it means that the people and planet units have to be from 2 different faculties but that 1 of them can be from the same faculty as the course you are enrolled in provided that it is not listed as a requirement for that course.
For example, the Bachelor of Business Administration falls under the Faculty of Business and Economics. According to the suggested program of study (http://courses.mq.edu.au/uploads/courseworkguidance/BBA_2015_V3.pdf) you could choose to do ECON131 as your planet unit. ECON131 also falls under the Faculty of Business and Economics.
This could be the case to be honest, they might've changed it for this year, because I did notice that the criteria in this year's handbook seemed more allowing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)