People Going For Medicine (1 Viewer)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
me thinks this thread is just a ploy by noobs who want to get into med but dont have the marks. stop trying to tell other people what to do and work harder, gosh. put your mind/heart to it and you can achieve it. theres no point crying about it cuz people wont change because they read a rant on a forum.

mods plz change the title to: "convincing those better than me to go for a different course".
m8 its not a ploy. I'm not telling people what to do, I'm in fact doing the opposite. I'm telling them to do something they really want to do, rather than something they are pressured into doing by other people. If they have a sincere interest in studying medicine I have no problem.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Just my two cents here.....

I do not really want to be racist here, and I apologise beforehand if it comes out that way. Its just that I find it hard to believe that such a large number of people from specific ethnicities are genuinely interested in becoming doctors. It has become fairly obvious that many people are applying for Medicine because:

a) Their parents told them too
b) They don't want to waste ATAR points
c) They're only interested in the money
d) Prestige and reputation

The above reasons are quite frankly the wrong reasons. I appeal to people who do the above please to reconsider applying for Medicine, because its so competitive that you more often than not are pushing people out who have a sicnere dream of becoming a doctor, just because you're better at Extension 2 Maths etc.

The following example illustrates my point:

I recently went to a party where the vast majority of people were of the same ehtnicity. Those who were in uni were doing medicine. Those who were not wanted to do medicine. Every single one. I find it hard to belive any of this was due to a genuine passion to pursue this field.

Your thoughts?
I rest my case.

Its not for you to decide whether or not someone has a genuine interest or not. Unless someone explicitly states that "I did medicine for the prestige and money" then I can see your point. But I have come across no such case in my long and illustrious career in medicine.

Last edited:

ar7

HSC
But he is referring to those people that choose medicine for the money and prestige (points c) and d))

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
My point is that u can't infer why someone did a course unless you know for sure. E.g saying someone with a high atar did med because they didn't want to waste it is just wrong unless they told you so. As I said, I have never come across such a case with all the people I know in med and potential applicants.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm still unsure whether I want to go into postgrad Med after my undergrad degree. We'll find out in due time...

mirakon

nigga
HSC
My point is that u can't infer why someone did a course unless you know for sure. E.g saying someone with a high atar did med because they didn't want to waste it is just wrong unless they told you so. As I said, I have never come across such a case with all the people I know in med and potential applicants.
dude I'm not inferring this about everyone who is ethnic. Nor am I saying its the vast majority. I know as a fact that some people do medicine for the above reasons, and I don't think its fair. I understand there's people who do medicine for the right reasons, this thread was made to dissuade people who do it for the wrong reasons. You're missing my point entirely.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
dude I'm not inferring this about everyone who is ethnic. Nor am I saying its the vast majority. I know as a fact that some people do medicine for the above reasons, and I don't think its fair. I understand there's people who do medicine for the right reasons, this thread was made to dissuade people who do it for the wrong reasons. You're missing my point entirely.
Exactly.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
+1

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Just my two cents here.....

I do not really want to be racist here, and I apologise beforehand if it comes out that way. Its just that I find it hard to believe that such a large number of people from specific ethnicities are genuinely interested in becoming doctors. It has become fairly obvious that many people are applying for Medicine because:

a) Their parents told them too
b) They don't want to waste ATAR points
c) They're only interested in the money
d) Prestige and reputation

The above reasons are quite frankly the wrong reasons. I appeal to people who do the above please to reconsider applying for Medicine, because its so competitive that you more often than not are pushing people out who have a sicnere dream of becoming a doctor, just because you're better at Extension 2 Maths etc.

The following example illustrates my point:

I recently went to a party where the vast majority of people were of the same ehtnicity. Those who were in uni were doing medicine. Those who were not wanted to do medicine. Every single one. I find it hard to belive any of this was due to a genuine passion to pursue this field.
Your thoughts?
rly? i think the quotes speak for themselves.

i am also pretty sure this occurs in many other courses (law, dentistry, pharm, vet, engineering etc. just to mention a few). if you are as passionate as you seem about telling people to do what they have a genuine interest in, then why make a thread about just medicine? why not post it on the general discussion forum where everyone can see and not just potential med students? i think you can see where i am going...

JamieP

HSC
I rest my case.

Its not for you to decide whether or not someone has a genuine interest or not. Unless someone explicitly states that "I did medicine for the prestige and money" then I can see your point. But I have come across no such case in my long and illustrious career in medicine.
Well said.

In the football pitch and crick oval near my house, I see whites and/or Indian kids play footy and/or cricket, most of them are “hopeless”, yet their parents ferry them there week in week out, base on the original poster's logic, I should ask them not to waste their time, let the real talents take the fields.

I never hear people complain whites playing too much sport or Ian Thorpe (my hero) spending too much time swimming in his teen years.

Some cultures value sports, some education, it's their choice. The respective systems will sort them out if they are not good enough.

Now my own complaint: some kids (I am not going to mention their racial background) are doing far too much skateboarding in Martin Place, seriously affecting the city lunchtime crowd, they should be doing more studies! J

mirakon

nigga
HSC
rly? i think the quotes speak for themselves.

i am also pretty sure this occurs in many other courses (law, dentistry, pharm, vet, engineering etc. just to mention a few). if you are as passionate as you seem about telling people to do what they have a genuine interest in, then why make a thread about just medicine? why not post it on the general discussion forum where everyone can see and not just potential med students? i think you can see where i am going...
a) many people =/= majority. I'm just saying that there's a LOT, not that most of them are.
b) yes, true it happens in many other courses but I find it particularly prevalent in medicine

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
a) many people =/= majority. I'm just saying that there's a LOT, not that most of them are.
b) yes, true it happens in many other courses but I find it particularly prevalent in medicine
i think you are going into technicalities here. but you still implied that "many" people in medicine or going for it were like that which is far from the truth.

just take a look at the selective schools, is there an imbalance of ethnicities? of course there is. it is only logical that this translates into university courses especially the most competitive ones like medicine. you need good marks to get in, asians/curries have the marks, they can get in, simple. i think this is the main reason for the over representation in med.

it may prevalent in other courses because they are far less competitive hence people from all ethnicities can get in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)