People Who Do Jlpt Some Here Is Some News (1 Viewer)

sifnotme

HSC
Heys you guys all do japanese and have probably heard of the JLPT test There is news (not rumors) that there adding a new level between level 3 and 2 since theres a gap in between them just want seeking some advice should i do jlpt 3 or wait until this new level arrangement comes out and do level 2.5 since it looks betta on the resume ?

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Wow, really o_o? Cool.
Do 3 this year as practice, then do 2.5 or 2 next year >D

X

xeuyrawp

dizzyizzy said:
Wow, really o_o? Cool.
Do 3 this year as practice, then do 2.5 or 2 next year >D
"2.5" (New Level 3) won't be around till 2010. And, imo, I don't think there's any reason to do the JLPT as "a practice". I think you should only do it if you're confident of passing. A lot of the content is not really relevant to the HSC, and to pass level 2, you're learning a lot of information which you won't use outside of your Extension Japanese compositions.

Don't go for level 2 unless you're confident - I studied quite hard for a couple of months and still didn't get it. I don't think there's enough time between the HSC and the early December test to study to pass level 2. I think if you're proficient in Extension, you would pass level 3, though.

sifnotme said:
Heys you guys all do japanese and have probably heard of the JLPT test There is news (not rumors) that there adding a new level between level 3 and 2 since theres a gap in between them just want seeking some advice should i do jlpt 3 or wait until this new level arrangement comes out and do level 2.5 since it looks betta on the resume ?
There was that rumour floating around when I did it in 2004, and I think either the end of last year or the beginning of this (I was in Egypt at the time), they announced that they'd be changing the four levels to five. It's going to be implemented some time in 2010, apparently.

New=Old
5=4,
4=3,
3="2.5" (ie between 2 and 3),
2=2,
1="0.75" (1 is now harder, apparently, and suits the Japense government's "fluency" levels).

So they've essentially added a level, like you said, between 2 and 3, based on demand from colleges and schools where students are at an (HSC equivalent) top band Extension Japanese level. American high school and IB basic levels are also about equivalent. I think that's why Japanese Extension and Continuers has changed a bit to align itself with the IB Second Language levels. The Australian university equivalent is around a year's study (two semesters) with some time in-country. The American equivalent is the 3 semester's study at a decent uni, so same as Australia in terms of time.

So yeah, after a year's study at uni or a complete high-school stint, a lot of students would be looking at doing the new level 3.

I, for one, would have done it; I did 2 the year of my HSC (ie the December after) and nearly passed, but actually passed a Level 7 Kentei test. Level 10 Kentei is supposed to be the same as Level 2 JLPT, so *shrug*. I assume I would have passed the new level 3, although the criteria for that haven't been released.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)