• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

People who moved away from home for uni! (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hi,

I'm writing something for this website about people who move away from home for uni. I'm looking at including some students differing experiences of moving away from home. Could people who moved away from home for uni (whether you moved in to a college, apartment, sharehouse, whatever!) respond with info about what it is like where you live (type of accomodation), how they enjoy it, any challenges you have faced, and any tips for future students who have to move away from home.

Thanks!

~Dreamer

HSC
i'm studying at wagga, originally from syd. the transition was a bit difficult at first, especially when youre moving from such a big vinrant busy city to laid back and spacious country town,but things start to get flowing easily very soon as you start to make friends and adjust to university life. there is added stress of living with other people who are strangers at first but soon become good mates.
i believe this experience has taught me to be more self reliant and mature and has allowed me to question where i want to head on with my life and what are my real values are.
moving away was also a great oppurtunity to improve my cooking skills. hint: tomato sauce flavours almost everything :)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Sweet chilli sauce works wonders as well.... got pasta but no pasta sauce... try tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce and cheese on pasta, it's a taste sensation... kinda lol. Tomato sauce on rice with butter is also good.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i miss home cook dinners..
i miss other ppl doing my laundry..

i lOVE cheese on pasta.. toast pretti much any thing!?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Pasta, Steak (w/mashed potatoes), Bacon and Eggs Muffins, Hamburgers, Anything with Rice, Anything involving a microwave or sandwich press are very, very easy to make and usually sort of cheap.

Another trick is to spend 3hrs on the weekend making an enormous batch of soup or spaghetti (the sauce and the meat etc). It'll keep in the freezer for 6mths or more, so whenever you need it, it's there. Heat it up in the micro, cook some pasta, and you're ready in about 10mins.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hmm...this food situation is starting to scare me...good thing I don't mind dry bread and lots of pasta dishes!!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
hmm...this food situation is starting to scare me...good thing I don't mind dry bread and lots of pasta dishes!!
Haha, I was about to type the same thing:p.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hmm...I wonder if its possible to live on air...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
Don't worry.... the living costs in Albury are far far cheaper than in Sydney!
Living costs may be cheaper but is alot more boring.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
LOL I can't argue with that!

Although when you move away from Alb you sort of look back on it with this romanticized view of the happy childhood you had frolicking in the countryside lol..... so I guess it is good for something. I'll be home next week.... I haven't set foot in Alb for 5 months, I wonder if anything has changed! (probably not!)

I need more stuff for the article people! Stuff kinda what Dreamer wrote up... about the type of accomodation you live in, good things, bad things... keep it coming people!

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
from syd -------> Adel ..
accommodation in adel = cheap bout $90-200 pw in city.. and few mins from uni :)

quiet n great for study :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I couldn't live in the country. I am made for the city. That is where everything happens:D.

~Dreamer

HSC
natstar i live on those continental packs as well! theyre there for when i cant be botehred cooking when i come back from uni.. which is every day... but eggs are the best thing ever created. you can flavour it ins o many ways..

mack

Banned
HSC
I'm not looking forward to living on campus, seeing as I cannot cook anything to save my life. Even 2 minute noodles give me trouble!

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
mack said:
I'm not looking forward to living on campus, seeing as I cannot cook anything to save my life. Even 2 minute noodles give me trouble!
No one is that bad! When I used to have them I just put water in a cup and heated it in the microwave:p.

~Dreamer

HSC
mack said:
god bless take away stores! :)

wich campus are you moving to?

mack

Banned
HSC
Merethrond said:
No one is that bad! When I used to have them I just put water in a cup and heated it in the microwave:p.
I am that bad, seriously. I can't cook them without the water overflowing.

About the campus that I'm moving to, probably either Wagga or Bathurst. Thats if I decide to do Clinical Practise.

~Dreamer

HSC
mack said:
I am that bad, seriously. I can't cook them without the water overflowing.

About the campus that I'm moving to, probably either Wagga or Bathurst. Thats if I decide to do Clinical Practise.
come to wagga! seriously, its really good, alot of social outings , good atmosphere etc. you'll love it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)