People who work at coles (1 Viewer)

Nelly_04

HSC
Hi I just got a job at Coles and have done two shifts, but I was very surprised by the lack of register training I was provided (I'm working at the checkout.) I had someone with me for the first half an hour and then was sort of left to my own devices. I was wondering how much training other people working at Coles received when they began working, and how long before they knew how to do everything.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I actually never recieved any official training from coles. It was pretty pathetic. Then again I started in grocery, so there's not that much to learn.

Nelly_04

HSC
Yeah i thought it was pretty weird...especially because using the register and knowing all the rules and stuff is so new. Some of the others I work with told me they had a more experienced person with them for up to three weeks before they were left at the register by themselves so I was just getting a little worried...but now I'm glad I'm not the only Coles employee without training!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
When I worked at Woolworths for two weeks, we were given *no* register training. Nothing. Nada. They seriously said: "here is your register- go for it".

Hense why I only stayed 2 weeks.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I was really shitty at coles for basically saying "great, you have a job. you start tomorrow", and I turned up and wasn't given any instructions at all. I remember just wandering around aimlessly for my first few hours, asking people wtf I was supposed to be doing. My god I hate coles. Fucking die.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Its beacuse training young checkout staff isnt seen as worth it. Its not worth the money to them to train some random teenager who will probally only stay a few weeks.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i do nightfill and i got a crapload of training.. for lifting boxes and unpackin

Aussiechick

HSC
I was in a similar situation to u Nelly, but I had a few hours of working with a training program first before I had to serve anyone. I think I learnt more from the half hour of help when I was working with customers though cuz the puter training is boring and it goes in one ear & out the other

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i got about 10 mins of training, 3 weeks after i started :p and by then i'd already figured it out on my own coz the computer system was idiot proof...this was at the reject shop though.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
didn't you do the training thing at the register before you started actually serving? i did that and got put packing with someone for maybe an hour.

but come on, if you can't work out a coles register, you're pretty retarded anyhow. it's not exactly difficult.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I worked at Franklins, same thing: very little of what I'd consider 'training'... it's more 'instruction'. Glycerine said it rather bluntly, it's pretty easy to use a register... but then, that said, having done software design, what's obvious to you sometimes isn't obvious to others.

Deus has it right: not worth training random teenagers hwo may only stay a few weeks... and if you do stay, you've taught yourself.

The system works. If it ain't broke, don't change it. Reminds me of Deus' sig :D

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
well i dunno what franklins registers are like, but seriously, there is no way not to understand coles registers. like, assuming it's just basic scanning, looking up PLUs (which you come to memorise after a while anyway) and cash or eftpos... it's all laid out on the screen in the most obvious way. the buttons are basically saying "HIT ME! HIT ME!!!"

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
glycerine said:
didn't you do the training thing at the register before you started actually serving? i did that and got put packing with someone for maybe an hour.
haha nope...i turned up, they gave me a register and a pin number thingo and basically said go for it. if i hadnt asked about it i doubt they would have trained me at all...but seriously the registers there were so un-difficult you would wonder how you could need to be trained.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
My first shift I had someone standing with me but they basically just told me PLUs when I didnt know what something was.. it isnt really that hard though and your supervisors are always there to help if something goes wrong in the basic scan/weigh and pay for something routine.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
on another note i hate coles.

hate hate.

not that tonight was too bad. just boring. i stood there playing one one hundred (you know, that game they played on sex and the city where you see how many guys you'd fuck). i think the results say something about the quality of the customers at my store.

so basically if you want to look at hot guys all shift, coles leichardt =/ the place to be :mad:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
CML said:
Dear Jess

Thank you for your recent application for a position with Coles Myer Limited and for your participation in our selection process.

From your application and assessment we are able to establish that you have a combination of skills that makes you a suitable candidate for acceptance into the Coles Myer Applicant Talent Pool.

From this point forward we are working towards matching you to a suitable vacancy in one of our businesses. When we do become aware of a vacancy, the final stage of the recruitment process will be an interview directly with the relevant Manager.

Due to the volume of applications received, this process may take a number of weeks however in some circumstances, where candidate preferences far outweigh the number of vacancies for a particular location, some candidates may not be selected for this next stage.

In the meantime if any of your personal details or referee information changes, please log into the Coles Myer Careers Home page and follow the prompts to your application and change the details. Should there be details on the form that you are not able to change, please contact the 1800 telephone number noted on the Coles Myer Careers Home page.

At any stage in the future, if you are no longer interested in being considered for a position with Coles Myer Limited please return to the website and withdraw your application.

We appreciate your application and the time that you have taken to participate in our selection process and thank you for considering Coles Myer Limited as a prospective employer.

Yours sincerely,

Coles Myer Recruitment

PS - As our communication with you will mostly be by email, please ensure that you check your emails frequently.

If you run a hotmail account, add the Coles Myer emails to your Favourites, to ensure that they are not blocked out as spam.
So I got that email today...how long was it for most people after they got that one before they heard any more?

Stanzo88

HSC
ye i will never forget my first day on the job at coles being on checkout,i was just standing there for 4 hours looking on how someone scanned and packed peoples bags,pretty pathetic ai,but then again i guess it kinda taught me something haha actually no it didn't but its alright coz working the computer system is as easy as peanuts so you must be a moron if you don't get something,no dummies guide is needed for this

DooGseY

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
So I got that email today...how long was it for most people after they got that one before they heard any more?
It was 13 days for me, but I put down any job and any time. If you will only work at myer on weekends or something, it will probably take a lot longer. Goodluck anyway.

Aussiechick

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
It took over 9 months for me I think, I'd forgotten I'd even applied when they rang me for a group interview. After that it was about 6-8 weeks before I got a proper interview, and then the same day they rang me and told me I had the job - I started about 4 days after that

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I turn 18 tomorrow, and they still gave me like 4 or 5 5-6 hour shifts for next week. In fact, I would say the majority of people who work service at my store are 18+ and even 21+. So I guess it's really a store-to-store thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)