People with ethnic surnames discriminated against (1 Viewer)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
so your saying sum dero with an anglo name from mount druit whos all fucked up on drugs will be able to speak better than some guy with a wog name who does 4 unit english at a private school???

wow your pretty stupid
names dont decide on how well you can talk
He didn't say that. He was just saying that, statistically, it's more likely for someone with an Anglo name to speak good English than for someone with, say, an Asian name. I'm not saying this justifies the discrimination, all I'm saying is that you seemed to have misread his post. Dummy.

Holly_H

HSC
so your saying sum dero with an anglo name from mount druit whos all fucked up on drugs will be able to speak better than some guy with a wog name who does 4 unit english at a private school???

wow your pretty stupid
names dont decide on how well you can talk
Clearly any name you have wont improve your chances of obtaining an interview.

This survey is no skin off my back, I'm 4th generation Anglo-Celtic, nor am i obese, ugly or any of the other survey results ...
However the point regarding fluency in the English language is extremely valid. How many Asians, Indians ... do you know of that speak broken English? I mean we have whole suburbs dedicated to them.
The reason no-one will even give them an interview is because once that interview occurs the refused candidate will be able to use it as evidence (in a case) to pin point the moment of discrimination.
No interview offers means any idea of discrimination remains purely speculative.

HSC
N/A
Omie Jay, Omie JEW!

Omie Jay, Omie JEW!

Omie Jay, Omie JEW!

Omie Jay, Omie JEW!

Omie Jay, Omie JEW!

Omie Jay, Omie JEW!

Omie Jay, Omie JEW!

Omie Jay, Omie JEW!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
hmm. I dont think ive ever faced discrimination from my name. I think ive come to realize due to the increase of Indians in Australia some employers MAY think anyone with an Indian name is an Import.

Now my name isn't distinctively 'Indian". It has Persian and Arabic roots but its used by Muslims in South Asia. Ive just made sure my resume shows that im born in Australia and see what happens from there.

LOL however when I was a kid I wished my name was Mathew. lolz

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Just change your name and stop the problems.

John Smith OR
Jane Smith

(Y)

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
It reminds me of the research findings that people who are obese and/or unnatractive are similarly discriminated against (though in these cases it is during the interview).
They're quite fascinating.

To be quite honest though, I would find it hard, as an employer, to want to employ an obese person. Obese people give off this feeling of general laziness. I'm inclined to believe that if you're obese by no fault other than your own, it shows a general laziness that I would be scared would translate to their work.

idk, it's probably not true but the perception is definitely there.

Hot, thin blonde or fat red head?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
They're quite fascinating.

To be quite honest though, I would find it hard, as an employer, to want to employ an obese person. Obese people give off this feeling of general laziness. I'm inclined to believe that if you're obese by no fault other than your own, it shows a general laziness that I would be scared would translate to their work.

idk, it's probably not true but the perception is definitely there.

Hot, thin blonde or fat red head?
People might stereotype the blonde as dumb perhaps. What's wrong with rangas? They're awesome

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Rangas are ok, but fat rangas?

No, people might stereotype the blonde as dumb... But if she interviews well, I think even if she isn't as qualified as the obese person, I feel she would probably get the job over the obese chick for the reasons discussed.

TrueHappiness

HSC
Rangas are ok, but fat rangas?

No, people might stereotype the blonde as dumb... But if she interviews well, I think even if she isn't as qualified as the obese person, I feel she would probably get the job over the obese chick for the reasons discussed.
I wonder if discrimination is innate. I remember reading a research about racical discrimination being sub-conconsciou for some people. Makes me wonder.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
idk

I am fairly conscious with regards to my blatant discrimination against fat people. I automatically assume I am going to hate said fat person, until I speak to them and realise they're ok. Subconciouslly I think I still despise them somewhat for being so god damn fat, but I don't make it obvious when I speak to them (unless I have established that I really dislike them, not just based on them being fat).

Seriously, I am going to hell.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
wow this thread was moved from news current afairs politics to light and offbeat news, discriminaton against ethinic surnames is taken lightly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)