• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

People with higher IQ 'Less Likely to Believe in God' (1 Viewer)

Jay-Dupree

Banned
HSC
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2111174/Intelligent-people-'less-likely-to-believe-in-God'.html

article said:
Professor Lynn, who has provoked controversy in the past with research linking intelligence to race and sex, said university academics were less likely to believe in God than almost anyone else.

A survey of Royal Society fellows found that only 3.3 per cent believed in God - at a time when 68.5 per cent of the general UK population described themselves as believers.

A separate poll in the 90s found only seven per cent of members of the American National Academy of Sciences believed in God.

Professor Lynn said most primary school children believed in God, but as they entered adolescence - and their intelligence increased - many started to have doubts.

He told Times Higher Education magazine: "Why should fewer academics believe in God than the general population? I believe it is simply a matter of the IQ. Academics have higher IQs than the general population. Several Gallup poll studies of the general population have shown that those with higher IQs tend not to believe in God."

He said religious belief had declined across 137 developed nations in the 20th century at the same time as people became more intelligent.

But Professor Gordon Lynch, director of the Centre for Religion and Contemporary Society at Birkbeck College, London, said it failed to take account of a complex range of social, economic and historical factors.

"Linking religious belief and intelligence in this way could reflect a dangerous trend, developing a simplistic characterisation of religion as primitive, which - while we are trying to deal with very complex issues of religious and cultural pluralism - is perhaps not the most helpful response," he said.

Dr Alistair McFadyen, senior lecturer in Christian theology at Leeds University, said the conclusion had "a slight tinge of Western cultural imperialism as well as an anti-religious sentiment".

Dr David Hardman, principal lecturer in learning development at London Metropolitan University, said: "It is very difficult to conduct true experiments that would explicate a causal relationship between IQ and religious belief. Nonetheless, there is evidence from other domains that higher levels of intelligence are associated with a greater ability - or perhaps willingness - to question and overturn strongly felt institutions."

What do you guys think. Is a belief in god linked to your intelligence?<!-- / message -->

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
um i think a higher IQ would be more linked to critical thinking skills. Hence, you would think more for yourself then just accept what a conventional religion tells you.

Jay-Dupree

Banned
HSC
In general, perhaps.

Individually, no.

Not a correlation significant enough, I would say. However, in third-world-countries whom lack a solid education.. they need some inspiration to carry on with survival, and alas Religion is their "light." Not saying its right or wrong, but there's got to be a good portion of dumb Atheists, as well as smart religious folk.

Majority of the Christians/Muslims/Jews I conversate/debate with often question their religion. They have better academics, but tend to be slightly narrow-minded, if we're coming up with originality, discussing random subjects, doing witty verbal freestyles etc.<!-- / message -->

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Many very intelligent people have been theists. Einstein believed in god.

HSC
Riet said:
Many very intelligent people have been theists. Einstein believed in god.
er no he really didn't, I hope you're trolling.
Einstein said:
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.
Einstein said:
For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them.

HSC
Everyone should be forced to critically critique, study, and question their faith, or lack thereof. Blind faith really is nothing more than saying, "I don't know, nor do I care to know." Quite sad.

There may be a god somewhere, but studying cosmology for more than ten minutes is enough for me to say that all our religions here on Earth don't have it right yet.

HSC
Einstein
Tesla
Two greats physisists in the history of the human race were deeply religious, and their religion inspired a lot of their work.

'nuf said, article's argument is invaid.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
um i think a higher IQ would be more linked to critical thinking skills. Hence, you would think more for yourself then just accept what a conventional religion tells you.
Well said.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Einstein
Tesla
Two greats physisists in the history of the human race were deeply religious, and their religion inspired a lot of their work.

'nuf said, article's argument is invaid.
Are you retarded? Do you know what "less likely" means? It means there's a low probability, but a probability nonetheless, that something will happen. Scientists who believe in god are in no-way invalidations of this observation. :rolleyes:

HSC
Well shit, if you're claiming, that all an article says is that there are some people whom are religious whom have a lower IQ than some people whom are not religious, then all I can do is laugh at this study and anyone who makes anything of it, as it's utterly, utterly pointless and proves nothing whatsoever in regards to any link between IQ and religion.

HSC
Bravo. Exphate. Bravooo

Finally, someone rational comes along.

From what I read in the original post, they are actually only polling academics. While they may have a high IQ, its pretty much seems to be a biased sample.

Especially considering the fact that one was from the American Academy of Sciences, People in these fields tend to need empirical evidence to believe soemthing is true. Whereas religion/spirituality is a question of faith.

Maybe if they tested the IQs of people who actually believe in God and measured them against those other results we would have something conclusive. I don't know if they did that ( I didn't read the whole article), but if they did that would be much more telling.

Even though, spirituality/God is usually an intuitive faith based feeling. I don't think these results provide much information. In fact, I think they miss the point enitrely of what spirituality is about.

Last edited:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Exphate said:
No, it's not. The article didn't state EVERYONE with a high-IQ would be athiest, it stated that people with a HIGH IQ are LESS LIKELY to believe in God. I suggest you learn how to retrieve information and subsiquently revisit the article.
so? i still think its bs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)