People with higher IQ 'Less Likely to Believe in God' (1 Viewer)

HSC
A survey of Royal Society fellows found that only 3.3 per cent believed in God - at a time when 68.5 per cent of the general UK population described themselves as believers.

A separate poll in the 90s found only seven per cent of members of the American National Academy of Sciences believed in God.

Professor Lynn said most primary school children believed in God, but as they entered adolescence - and their intelligence increased - many started to have doubts.
im much more inclined to think this shows that people with higher IQs will be more likely to be agnostic.

and surveying scientists is just a little biased.

HSC
Laphonso-Ellis said:
right, I'm guessing you never evolved from the baseless name-calling and the childish antics that you displayed so well in primary school.
im guessing you never developed a sense of humour.

HSC
Indeed, this must be the most biased, most idiotic study done, just to badmouth religion.

And as if it wasn't already stupid - it was done in USA, on Americans, and I think that just says it all.

HSC
scaredytiger said:
im guessing you never developed a sense of humour.

I'm guessing you never did either. If that's the full extent of your 'humour' well then you have a lot of work to do.

You know what, this is below me and so is your mother when she's smoking my cock.

Last edited:
HSC
Exphate said:
The study only worked with people with "high-IQs". It's got nothing to do with stating people who believe in God "have a low-moderate IQ" or that no-one who has a "low-moderate IQ" will be an athiest. I didn't claim that the article was stating as such, I was refuting your "Oh Einstein and Tesla were theists so the argument is invalid" line of debate.
The article clearly claims for there to be a connection which suggests atheists are smarter than religious people. You can sugar-coat it any way you like, but the fact of the matter doesn't change.

Telsta & Einstein clearly contradict this most preposterous notion.

Furthermore,

Laphonso-Ellis said:
Everyone should be forced to critically critique, study, and question their faith, or lack thereof. Blind faith really is nothing more than saying, "I don't know, nor do I care to know." Quite sad.
If you are somehow suggesting that religious people don't critically critique, study and accept everything they are told, then that has to be the biggest load of trash ever.

How many atheists believe everything they see on TV, believe that everything the news reports is true, etc - you can bet it's a crapload.

Studies like these only lead to generalisations, which are epic fail always.

HSC
Exphate said:
It was sorta the point of the study...
the article is putting it forth as evidence of people with higher IQs not believing in God.
not all people with high IQs are scientists.

people who spend their lives studying science are obviously more likely to be convinced by it, as opposed to theistic concepts.

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
If you are somehow suggesting that religious people don't critically critique, study and accept everything they are told, then that has to be the biggest load of trash ever.

How many atheists believe everything they see on TV, believe that everything the news reports is true, etc - you can bet it's a crapload.

I am not suggesting any such thing.

The fact that you are an avid Starcraft fan is epic fail. Based on that it is highly probable that you are a dweeb and a massive geek.

HSC
Laphonso-Ellis said:
I'm guessing you never did either. If that's the full extent of your 'humour' well then you have a lot of work to do.

You know what, this is below me and so is your mother when she's smoking my cock.
ah yes. one sentence is the full extent of my humour.
and it is really quite deserving of being flamed.
please, either deflate your ego or acquire some intelligence.

HSC
Exphate said:
I actually lied.

It was about "university academics" not believing in God, and the guy behind the study claiming it was due to IQ
its a little more valid.
but surely other faculties should be surveyed?

guruj790

HSC
Laphonso-Ellis said:

epic fail. burn

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Well shit, if you're claiming, that all an article says is that there are some people whom are religious whom have a lower IQ than some people whom are not religious, then all I can do is laugh at this study and anyone who makes anything of it, as it's utterly, utterly pointless and proves nothing whatsoever in regards to any link between IQ and religion.
That's what the cigarette companies said about smoking and lung cancer.

P.S. Einstein strongly questioned the existence of God and did not believe in organised religion.

wikipedia said:
Einstein clarified his religious views in a letter he wrote in response to those who claimed that he worshipped a Judeo-Christian god: "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal god and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."
wikipedia said:
In a letter to Eric Gutkind in 1954 Einstein said: "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Exphate said:
Do you understand how these types of studies are run? They don't just make statements without doing the research. Just because YOU believe it to be false, doesn't mean it is. In fact, the study publishers are drawing conclusions BASED on the RESEARCH completed.
i do believe the OP posted:
Jay-Dupree said:
What do you guys think. Is a belief in god linked to your intelligence?
so yes of course i am going to give my opinion. also reseach may not always be right or the conclusion may not always be right.

HSC
Exphate said:
I don't know all the facts behind the study. I can only assume the direction he is taking is that scientific academics, rather than academics in general...making it really specific. THat said, the report is pretty vague in regards to exactly what the study was on about.

EDIT: The article also states the Professor behind the study has provoked trouble in the past.
perhaps he believes that scientific academics are of superior intelligence?

HSC
First of all, science does directly contradict the Bible. According to the Bible, God created the earth 10,000 years ago and created humanity a few thousand years ago. Those that take the Bible literally believe that humans and dinosaurs walked the earth together.

Clearly, science takes a completely different angle. Most scientists believe the earth is around 4.5 billion years old and humans have walked the earth just a tiny fragment of that time.

That alone makes science and the Bible completely contradictory.

As for the cosmos...

There are literally trillions of other planets out there. God created them just to show how powerful he is? That just doesn't seem logical to me and it seems as though it is an attempt to easily explain something that cannot be explained. That is how I view most things religious in nature.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
scaredytiger said:
perhaps he believes that scientific academics are of superior intelligence?
Nah he got in trouble in the past for showing a link between race and intelligence and socio-economic status and intelligence.

Which wasn't really fair on him because his methodology was sound in-so-far as the IQ test is a sound reflection of intelligence (it is in some ways, but not in others).

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Starcraftmazter said:
The article clearly claims for there to be a connection which suggests atheists are smarter than religious people. You can sugar-coat it any way you like, but the fact of the matter doesn't change.

Telsta & Einstein clearly contradict this most preposterous notion.

Furthermore,

You seriously are the most fucking retarded person i have ever seen try and debate an issue. Page 2 and numerous posts and you still missed the fucking point.

HSC
Slidey said:
Nah he got in trouble in the past for showing a link between race and intelligence and socio-economic status and intelligence.

Which wasn't really fair on him because his methodology was sound in-so-far as the IQ test is a sound reflection of intelligence (it is in some ways, but not in others).
i have this image that he is Hitler armed with science instead of charisma.
it is undoubtedly inaccurate, but amusing nonetheless.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
scaredytiger said:
i have this image that he is Hitler armed with science instead of charisma.
it is undoubtedly inaccurate, but amusing nonetheless.
Haha. Probably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)