People with Photographic Memory! (1 Viewer)

cho6092

HSC
Heya

I'm sort of surprised there hasn't been a thread for this yet...but just out of curiosity, does anyone here actually have legit photographic memory or knows of someone who does? And does it actually help with high school and uni exams? And what is the capacity you have (like 3 A4 pages, 1000 words, etc., lol)

I'm just curious, interested to hear any stories!

cho6092

HSC
And not sure if I posted this in the right thread, apologies in advance

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
432 single digit numbers of pi.
but that was year 8, so can't really be bothered.

Last edited:

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
I am not sure if this constitutes as photographic memory, but I am able to memorise two 2000 words in less than 4 hours, and reproduce it word for word. I am able to memorise things pretty quickly, and I guess it is helpful.

My teacher's economics professor could look at a page for 10 minutes, and could clearly regurgitate it word for word. He would also get horrible migraines, and would usually have to lie down for a couple of minutes. So, in exams, I doubt it is very helpful.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
I am not sure if this constitutes as photographic memory, but I am able to memorise two 2000 words in less than 4 hours, and reproduce it word for word. I am able to memorise things pretty quickly, and I guess it is helpful.
How are you memorizing the 2000 words? To know whether you have photographic memory or not - after you memorize the 2k words, can you QUICK recall the position of a particular sentence/beginning of paragraph?

cho6092

HSC

My teacher's economics professor could look at a page for 10 minutes, and could clearly regurgitate it word for word. He would also get horrible migraines, and would usually have to lie down for a couple of minutes. So, in exams, I doubt it is very helpful.
Wow, okay, then it seems that even if you have it it actually takes effort...to memorise it
And how long does it hold for?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
How are you memorizing the 2000 words? To know whether you have photographic memory or not - after you memorize the 2k words, can you QUICK recall the position of a particular sentence/beginning of paragraph?
Oh okay! Yeah I wasn't aware of that constituted as photographic memory, hence my statement at the start of my response. So to answer your question, no I cannot recall it quickly as it requires me at least 4 hours to memorise 4000 words all together (or two 2000 word essays).

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, okay, then it seems that even if you have it it actually takes effort...to memorise it
And how long does it hold for?
Usually, 2 weeks. I still remember roughly my paper 2 essays though. But yeah as I said I don't think it constitutes as photographic memory. And even if it is, the extent is probably low to mild.

NotCricket

HSC
Impressive, but still within normal bounds of human memory.

Answering your question OP, there has never been any individual in human history with a proven photographic memory.

hungry

HSC
I don't have photographic memory, but sometimes I'll remember something by the visual image of my notes. Like for example, one night I'll be studying some notes. Next day in the exam, I remember a particular section of my notes, and can visualise them, and remember the words in that section including parts I didn't really read over properly or at all. I just remember it being there and skimming past it. I guess it's similar to photographic memory, except it only happens randomly, and not very much.

QZP

HSC
Impressive, but still within normal bounds of human memory.

Answering your question OP, there has never been any individual in human history with a proven photographic memory.
Look up Stephen Wiltshire

Wiki: "Wiltshire can look at a subject once and then draw an accurate and detailed picture of it. He frequently draws entire cities from memory, based on double, brief helicopter rides. For example, he produced a detailed drawing of four square miles of London after a single helicopter ride above that city. His nineteen-foot-long drawing of 305 square miles of New York City is based on a single twenty-minute helicopter ride."

Then there are more obvious examples such as Kim Peek who practically remembers everything he reads and cannot remove it from his memory

Last edited:

NotCricket

HSC
Look up Stephen Wiltshire

Wiki: "Wiltshire can look at a subject once and then draw an accurate and detailed picture of it. He frequently draws entire cities from memory, based on double, brief helicopter rides. For example, he produced a detailed drawing of four square miles of London after a single helicopter ride above that city. His nineteen-foot-long drawing of 305 square miles of New York City is based on a single twenty-minute helicopter ride."

Then there are more obvious examples such as Kim Peek who practically remembers everything he reads and cannot remove it from his memory
Mhhhm I know him. However, he still doesn't have a photographic memory. Check the wiki on it, it's interesting - he has a highly eidetic memory, but no individual has been able to view say, a sheet of paper in a language they don't understand for two seconds, and instantly memorise every word or a visual image of that page.

hayabusaboston

HSC
I would say I can instantly memorise somewhat small-moderate quantities of visual and verbal information and recall word for word/recite all visual elements in the image for a good couple of days before details start to dissipate.

Eg with uni, which starts to get a bit more than moderate quantities of info, I scan through a 45 page bio lecture and literally remember exactly whats on 80 % of the lecture slides and the positions of the pictures and words etc, but yea that dissipates somewhat quickly over a couple of days.

Last edited:

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
I would say I can instantly memorise somewhat small-moderate quantities of visual and verbal information and recall word for word/recite all visual elements in the image for a good couple of days before details start to dissipate.

Eg with uni, which starts to get a bit more than moderate quantities of info, I scan through a 45 page bio lecture and literally remember exactly whats on 80 % of the lecture slides and the positions of the pictures and words etc, but yea that dissipates somewhat quickly over a couple of days.
That's impressive.

cho6092

HSC
You all have ridiculously good memory retention. Cudos to the HSC for the training, probably

Mhhhm I know him. However, he still doesn't have a photographic memory. Check the wiki on it, it's interesting - he has a highly eidetic memory, but no individual has been able to view say, a sheet of paper in a language they don't understand for two seconds, and instantly memorise every word or a visual image of that page.
So you're defining photographic memory as only looking a sheet for a split moment and reproducing it. I'd say that's physically impossible because the eye can only focus on like, 6 words max at any one time - in reference to photographic memory, I probably meant scanning each line really quickly and seeing how much you can retain

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
So you're defining photographic memory as only looking a sheet for a split moment and reproducing it. I'd say that's physically impossible because the eye can only focus on like, 6 words max at any one time - in reference to photographic memory, I probably meant scanning each line really quickly and seeing how much you can retain
This is possible with powerful peripheral vision

MrTammoth

HSC
i know this girl called Lucy and she was once held captive and stuffed with a bag of CPH4 in her stomach.

Before all this happened she was a dumb bitch who can not solve a simply arithmetic 9+10

After the implantation of drugs she was badly abused and bashed until she had a fit which occurred due to the leakage of the drugs in her stomach.

She gradually gained 100% of her brain, surpassing the average human brain which is 20%

The drug unlocked more and more of Lucy's brain potential and could therefore gain the ability to photographically memorise content in less than a millisecondl k

She became a computer k.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)