People's reactions when you say "I study Psychology" (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Has anyone noticed when someone asks what you study at Uni, and you say "Psychology" - there is a little moment of awkwardness, maybe a strange look or silence?

WHY?

Is there something wrong with Psychology? Or studying Psychology? (I'm talking about public perceptions, i.e. don't troll about lack of jobs or the likes, please :p). I don't know what to think.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Assuming you're doing psych it may because you're a male doing psych when it's a female dominated course.

tbh i'm curious about psychology and was gonna do it as a major in science, but then cbf'd. rathr just learn random facts then move on.

philphie

Banned
HSC
i don't know, some undergrad psych students tend to be drastically desperate. i remember my teacher telling em when she did psych at usyd all the psych students would volunteer for post grad psych experiments aka torture just to compensate for lack of credit points.

spence

HSC
i don't know, some undergrad psych students tend to be drastically desperate. i remember my teacher telling em when she did psych at usyd all the psych students would volunteer for post grad psych experiments aka torture just to compensate for lack of credit points.
Yeah we do that because its a really easy way to get extra marks

spence

HSC
is it really worth it? what kind of experiments have you been in?
I think its worth it. A lot are just questionaires which are pretty boring, but you get some more interesting ones. i did one where i got to smell different wines, and some which tested memory were quite interesting

laila09

HSC
Maybe their impressed? I think its impressive :eek:

I don't know why anyone would think poorly or anything for psychology....

Don't worry about others anyway. Its a good course and a good job! :spin:

philphie

Banned
HSC
I think its worth it. A lot are just questionaires which are pretty boring, but you get some more interesting ones. i did one where i got to smell different wines, and some which tested memory were quite interesting
ah that sounds alright. my teacher said something about shock therapy so i was quite alarmed

dolbinau

HSC
Lol...all the experiments have to go through ethics committees first. But shock therapy sounds a little more fun than some of the boring questionnaires ;).

philphie

Banned
HSC
Lol...all the experiments have to go through ethics committees first. But shock therapy sounds a little more fun than some of the boring questionnaires ;).
haha i'm guessing it was different back in the early 80s

lala2

Banned
HSC
"He's profiling me..." "He knows how my mind works!"

Immature, unfounded paranoia.
Agree. No-one's who's ever studied psych has made me feel like that. Well, except for a professional psychologist who treats children with developmental disorders. We've only talked once (they're new-ish non-immediate neighbours) but I felt that she could really see into me. But then again, she's a professional psychologist so there.

dolbinau

HSC
As a first year student we know shit all. But I'm flattered if people think we could 'read' them, lol.

Gmac_0

HSC
I just did yr12, so never done uni psch but I did it in year 12, and there are a few reasons:

1. People reckon its bullshit
2. I'm male and the VCE cohort for psych was 7/8 female
3. It is a fairly easy subject (Scales down 2, @ VCE its like biol+memory+learning - v boring. Sort of considered to be 'stupid science' by some, or not a science at all.
4. They think you will somehow be able to 'read' them, lol...

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
If someone's analyzing me, I can generally tell... It's not that hard to pick out.

If I'm being analyzed, I ask for the outcome and they are generally surprised at this question XD.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
1. "omg you're analysing me! i feel awkward now!"
2. "omg you can read my mind!" (we're not psychics!)
3. "okay then, what does it mean when i do this?!" *starts flailing their arms around*
4. "wooow you must be really smart!!"
5. "so do you just walk around knowing what everyone is thinking and feeling and just know why they are doing everything?"
6. "so you're just gonna sit around and listen to people's problems?"
7. "ooh study me, i have loads of problems, i'm a psych's dream!"
8. "when you become a psychologist, you'll be able to tell me everything that's wrong in my life!"

it's ridiculous.

HSC
After a single year of study I've already been reduced to this reaction when someone questions whether psychology is a science:

I'm an advocate of not allowing psychology to be done through arts/humanities.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
It's a joke subject populated by idiots who like to think they're amazing at interpreting actions, tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)